D4 & D2 Resurrected

I have an ex-Blizzard (low level) management friend who I keep meaning to ask for his take on all this. He's not the frat boy sort at all. But he probably rubbed elbows with a bunch of these guys.

You're just now coming to that realization? To me, it seems they've been the way they are now for quite some time.

No, of course not. They've been on a downspiral for a long time. But still managed to pull off SC2 and Overwatch which are very decent. Then they face-planted with Diablo 3. And then it was all downhill from there. But I was really looking forward, and still am, for Diablo 4. It seems they finally gave in and plan on delivering what players are asking for. Just build on top of Diablo 2. But now with this shitstorm, there's no telling what'll happen next.

In a way, I'd love it for Activision Blizzard to just crumble. A lot of parasites leading that company. But then I realize there are still probably some decent people there, and some strong IP still. Actually, maybe just Diablo and Starcraft. Anyway, we'll see how this ends.

But the amount of money they're still making from their other IPs (COD especially), they'll take a long time to go down. And the sad thing is, it's now probably a shitstain on good developer's CVs to be associated with the company. So the good ones are likely in the process of getting the heck out of there. Which leaves even less of chance that Diablo 4 will get done.

Anyway, maybe it's for the best.

No, of course not. They've been on a downspiral for a long time. But still managed to pull off SC2 and Overwatch which are very decent. Then they face-planted with Diablo 3. And then it was all downhill from there. But I was really looking forward, and still am, for Diablo 4. It seems they finally gave in and plan on delivering what players are asking for. Just build on top of Diablo 2. But now with this shitstorm, there's no telling what'll happen next.

For me, it was SC2 where I saw a clear change. Not only did they unceremoniously milk their fans by splitting it into 3 parts, but that was, iirc, the start of them tying everything to Battle.net and having an account necessary to play their games.

There was a time Blizzard ment something to me.
Today I'd be more excited about news on new Candy Crush Saga than on anything Blizzard related.
Don't you guys have phones was the final nail in the coffin visualized in my head for ages.

Nice vids, but my money won't be used on that stuff.

Me as well but that was before Blizzard was sold to Activision, and before they made the Warcraft MMO. Nowadays it's a different developer and I'm indifferent to them.

Maybe make SP games that don't need an online sever account to play.:p

For me, it was seeing what Warcraft become as an online game, after the fine products that existed prior. I think I played it for five days in late November of '04, I lasted less than a week , quit after that and never returned. I fled back to Everquest one and two, vastly superior online offerings, and did my best to forget those ugly five days.

I do, however, have very fond memories of that glorious battlechest set of games. I try to remember the good!

https://wccftech.com/diablo-iv-world-of-warcraft-director-lead-designers-fired-blizzard/

Fucking Blizzard. And fucking Activision for hiding all this shit for this long, and only pretending to clean house when they were caught. And they're not even cleaning house. They're just using the opportunity to gain even more control over Blizzard. When Bobby Kotick starts resigning then I'll appreciate they're really trying to clean house.

Sadly, the Blizzard that once was, seems to be gone. And even what they were, they were for a short time. And this sort of behavior was likely there from the beginning. It seems people in power have a thing for behaving like this.

Anyway, I won't pretend this is just about morals. As insentitive and selfish as this is, I wonder how much this will delay Diablo 4.

Kotick ? Wasn't that the man trying to get an overly much of shares for himself ?

I still hold Lost Vikings in dear memory, even although I just didn't come far within that game … I somewhat missed Norse By Norsewest …

Back
Top Bottom