The TV Series discussion thread

Last night I re-watched a television limited series that I'd not seen in at least ten years, called Empire Falls. Yes, as usual, I'm a much bigger fan of the book, yet this production from HBO gets a lot of the tale just right, and the casting is almost spot-on. I highly recommend checking it out in either form.

I have a very weird question :

The Blues Brothers emerged from the show "Saturday Night Live" ... Does there exist a DVD with the early Blues Brothers - or anything with them - on it ?

Plus, I do know that there was one show with Carri Fisher (of Star Wars fame), does there exist a DVD with that show on it as well ?
( I know it exists, because I had been watching that particular show one day in the 90s, where a German broadcaster had shown it. )

I was inspired by the recent discussions around Mr. Robot, and I started the series again, and have already watched the first 2 seasons. It's interesting watching everything again, and knowing what most of the events hint at, or things you'd have no chance understanding the first time seeing it. I'm really enjoying it.

Last edited:
I have a very weird question :

The Blues Brothers emerged from the show "Saturday Night Live" … Does there exist a DVD with the early Blues Brothers - or anything with them - on it ?

Plus, I do know that there was one show with Carri Fisher (of Star Wars fame), does there exist a DVD with that show on it as well ?
( I know it exists, because I had been watching that particular show one day in the 90s, where a German broadcaster had shown it. )

There are season by season collections of SNL. You'd have to research it and find out which season Carrie Fisher hosted the show. She was on the show in 1978, which is either season 3 or season 4.

Yeah I think there was an SNL release of either a tape or dvd some years ago that captured many of the Blues Brothers performances in action. Pretty sure I owned it at some time, and wish I had it now.

Thank you so far ... I have found a few clues.

I just re-watched the first episode of season 3 of Mr. Robot, and I was shocked I completely forgot a scene that really rubbed me the wrong way. I can't remember the reaction I had back when I first saw it, but now it was really off-putting. People that have seen it, will likely remember it, and it's a critique of where things have currently ended up in the world, and the US in particular, that seems to be a critique of neoliberal policies but unfortunately they only depict very recent certain political figures to evidence this (and one news company; like most of the other MSM companies aren't just another face of the same coin). Like the last 50+ years of neoliberal policies had nothing to do with where we've ended up. It's all due to the last guy that was in charge. :rolleyes:

Now if the creator had also included many other figures, I'd probably have no issue. Even though it does kind of break the forth wall with this in-your-face political statement on the realities of our world. But it does pretty much fit the mold of what most upper class (since the middle class is pretty much disappearing) people believe, that most things "evil" only started in 2016.

Anyway, aside from that 30 sec rant of Elliot (which was actually pretty good, had they just skipped on putting in real-life imagery, and not been so obvious) the episode was decent. I was really shocked I completely blanked out that it contains that scene (which you could basically imagine the creator of the series speaking directly to his audience). And I think this and another one coming later in the series is my only complaint with the series.

I've been watching the second series of Britannia the past few weeks, and this series is wildly different from the prior one. It's convoluted in some unsettling ways, yet I'm sticking with it just to see how things turn out for Morrissey's character, as well as the final disposition of the druids.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/13/...of-the-rings-series-production-uk-new-zealand

Very much in keeping with what you'd expect from a huge corporation, with no care for the history of things, no respect for people. Anyway, I'm still curious what it'll end up as. I don't really have any expectations.

ZSnX212.png

Lol. I suppose, in fairness, Tolkien himself was from the UK. They won't have too much trouble finding Middle Earth-like places in Wales and Scotland, particularly.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what moving it from New Zealand to the UK has to do with the history of Tolkien or disrespecting anyone.

For what Amazon paid for to have the rights to do this in the first place, I suspect they'll have no trouble finding scenic locales to shoot somewhere in Europe. The move surprised me, yet if the power in charge are clever enough, they can make it work to their advantage, I suspect.

I wonder if they really plan on changing most of the cast of characters every time jump, since iirc the books span a couple of thousands of years? Hari Seldon is the only constant appearance, through his holograms? I can't remember, it's been a long while since I read them. But I have a bad feeling this series will be souless, like the new Star Trek. With cheap gratuitous drama and the like. I don't know why, but I have this feeling.

Foundation's official trailer is up, as well as its break-down. The series starts soon, on Apple TV… for whoever has that. Foundation debuts on September 24.

Pleased to see Jared Harris in the role of the mathematician :)

Now I'll really need to read the series again!

I really like Jared Harris. He always seems to make a good impact in tv shows or movies. I don't have Apple TV though. When is this coming out ?

I really like Jared Harris. He always seems to make a good impact in tv shows or movies. I don't have Apple TV though. When is this coming out ?
Soon apparently, Sep 24th, there are 10 episodes. :)

Yeah me neither, Apple TV isn't even available here.
Hopefully we'll be able to see, erm, extended previews? on other distribution channels ;)

But in the mean time, I've finished season 3 of Mr Robot.

Count me as another that's a true fan of Jared Harris, I've enjoyed his work since Last of the Mohicans, Fringe, and many other fine productions. His father, to this day, is one of the finest actors to ever grace the screen! I don't have Apple television so I might just have to read what happens.

Weren't we discussing this one somewhere? Okay could be another forum...
Apple's masterplan is to massacre the original setting, story and characters (read: sjwize it!) because, what, Asimov was retarded per decision by Apple's wise committee?

Thanks, but no thanks. Won't be watching this insult.
I'm not the illiterate Apple's sheep and original books are fine with me.

Back
Top Bottom