Exoplanet: First Contact - The Edge Update

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Some two weeks ago a new update for Exoplanet was announced featuring a new location and content. Two week later it might not be much of an announcement anymore.

Hey folks! There were no news from us for quite some time but we were testing the new version of Exoplanet, gathering feedback and updating the testing build. And today we would like to show you the result.

It is worth mentioning that some good ideas will be reworked for the new builds, so let us know if you have favorite quests, characters, areas or anything else--we'll consider your feedback. As for the rest, press 'F' to pay respects.

From now on, we are going to make updates and news frequently. We changed our approach to the development and are keen to fix such a pesky issue as a lack of conversation with our community. I will tell you more about everything in the end of this post and will try to answer some questions you might have. But let us start with a changelog for the new update.

So, what can you find in the new version of the game?

There are a lot of changes, and it is much better to see them with your own eyes, especially if you tried the old version to see the difference. I'll try to mention the most important things. Keep in mind, there are some placeholders and bugs, please report everything whether you have a blocker, low FPS or encountered a visual issue.

At the moment there's a relatively small location with a complex multilayer design, mostly created with new assets. That's the place where Jack's adventure begins, and here you can get an idea about the world of K'Tharsis and its harsh laws.

[...]
At the link you can find more info, screenshots and animated gifs.

More information.

Another game that is way behind schedule.:(

Anyway good to see some new content and a big update finally.

There are a lot of changes, and it is much better to see them with your own eyes, especially if you tried the old version to see the difference. I'll try to mention the most important things. Keep in mind, there are some placeholders and bugs, please report everything whether you have a blocker, low FPS or encountered a visual issue.

At the moment there's a relatively small location with a complex multilayer design, mostly created with new assets. That's the place where Jack's adventure begins, and here you can get an idea about the world of K'Tharsis and its harsh laws.

I backed this in 2015, and it would be an understatement to say I'm not too happy that this is all they have to show after 6+ years.

I backed this in 2015, and it would be an understatement to say I'm not too happy that this is all they have to show after 6+ years.
Those are rookie numbers.
I backed Sui Generis back in 2012 with an estimated release in 2014. Somewhen they decided not to do a Sui Generis with the advertised features immediately, but first a prologue named Exanima. Exanima is a quite beautiful tech demo with a novel combat system, but it's stuck in EA with no clear schedule.
That's my personal "favorite".

I backed Sui Generis back in 2012 with an estimated release in 2014. Somewhen they decided not to do a Sui Generis with the advertised features immediately, but first a prologue named Exanima. Exanima is a quite beautiful tech demo with a novel combat system, but it's stuck in EA with no clear schedule.

Heh.. Must have been a hell of a pitch to raise 160K GBP. Exoplanet only did $67K by comparison.

Heh.. Must have been a hell of a pitch to raise 160K GBP. Exoplanet only did $67K by comparison.
Yes, look at this list:
Believable fiction. Carefully crafted and researched so it feels authentic down to the smallest detail, the world of Sui Generis will draw you in and captivate you with its depth and complexity.
Non Linear Story. Write your own story. Create your own character and then interact with the world and events as you see fit. Who knows what might happen? It's not written, it's up to you.
Reactive characters. Characters and creatures do not have fixed roles. They will react to anything you say or do, how you dress and what tone you set. We're putting the word Character in NPC.
Physics driven combat. Whether swinging your weapon, shooting an arrow or manipulating the world with your mind, you can expect spectacular and always unique results.
Interactive environment. Nothing is bolted down or fake, the environment is fully interactive and can play an important tactical role, as well as just provide lots of fun.
Deep character customisation. Don't just choose a class but create your own unique build and develop your own play style. The paths to success are almost limitless.
Meaningful Items. Plentiful items, all with plausible qualities and values. Even a rusty sword is effective in the right hands and powerful items will be special and well guarded.
That sound quite nice, doesn't it?
Naive and foolish me believed that this could be done with 150k GBP.
Well, I learned.

Another backer here, I attempted to play this one some years ago, and found out quickly that it wasn't done baking. One day I hope it will cross that finish line.

I'm a backer as well. I don't love the long delays either, but they don't bother me as much as they seem to bother others.

I do hope this one makes it. Gives off a bit of a sci-fi Gothic/Firefly vibe

Both of those games have spawned a secret cult. The codex has a forum thread that posts some of the secret updates from the followers. They are still working on it.

It's just become a part time hobby instead of full time development that wasted all the money with unattainable goals. Ha I still remember a member defending this game.

His name was mordoc or something I believe he was part of team.:biggrin:

Both of those games have spawned a secret cult. The codex has a forum thread that posts some of the secret updates from the followers. They are still working on it.
Hm, my first thought was that this could be from the "Insider Forum" on their dev's official forums, which is only accessible for backers. So I have access, but the most recent post is from last february...

His name was mordoc or something I believe he was part of team.:biggrin:
Madoc is the name. Afaik he's the boss.

Gives off a bit of a sci-fi Gothic/Firefly vibe
That's literally *exactly* what they're going for, Firefly gameplay, Gothic feel and mechanics.

i think they said years ago they are PB Gothic hardcore fans and they will try to make it like those games, thats why i was watching this game

It's ALIVE!

Played EA a few years ago. It has potential but still a far way to go.

I tried the new build last night. It's a visual improvement, but I was still underwhelmed. The game in general is just clunky, and combat is pretty terrible.

Thing is, they're never going to finish it anyways, at least not at this rate. Maybe if they can add some people to their team.

I actually received an update for this game last night, #51 if I remember correctly. I tried pasting it to another message but that didn't turn out well, likely due to my lack of skills. At least the updates still seem to be happening, for what that's worth.

Yeah thanks for the link and news but yeah lost all faith in this game myself.

Back
Top Bottom