Kingmaker - Free Bloody Mess DLC

Sorry I have to laugh as most patches are 500mb to 5GB's, and that's not counting how many times I had to re-download my GOG copy. So yes frequent but not smaller.:lol:

I understand that size in this case refers to amount of addressed issues rather then to download size. But I might be wrong. By the way, updating issues are generally main reason why I prefer Steam over GOG for new games, although I was big fan of GOG since the beginning.

I understand that size in this case refers to amount of addressed issues rather then to download size. But I might be wrong. By the way, updating issues are generally main reason why I prefer Steam over GOG for new games, although I was big fan of GOG since the beginning.
They did mean number of issues fixed per patch (or hotfix), the size of files is completely up to platform you got the game on.
Actually GoG is better for downloading these patches, on Steam for a while each patch was 3gb or bigger. People complained a lot at the time on Steam, now I see they are up to 500 mb per patch.

I wouldn't hold patch sizes against them, it's mostly because they used unity as their engine.

When some (but certainly not all by any means) people like a game they make a great deal of allowances for bugs and will still sing praise. If they dislike a game then they focus on little else besides the bugs and cry about it going to market early, how incompetent the devs are, and so on.

I see a lot of of hypocritical behavior where people are coming up with dozens of rationalizations and excuses for a game they like to explain away bugs and excuse the game … then turn around and rant against other games with far less bugs and issues than this one simply because they don't like it.

Just human behavior I know but I need to remember some of these threads down the road.

As for the topic - never been that into blood and gore so no interest in the DLC. On the other hand I also doubt releasing the DLC really impacted the work they are doing to patch the game so seems a bit senseless to rant against it.

It is a fun game and I also suspect that many of the reported bugs are not bugs but users not understanding mechanics or how the game works (see that in many games really). Course the frustrating aspect of complex games like this is wondering "Did I miss something and that is why this quest/relationship/event is not working or is it a bug? How much effort and time should I spend trying to solve something that might be a bug or me just missing something?"

Having played the BETA and gone through chapters 1 and 2 a few times I have it shelved until it seems to have been patched enough that the ending chapters are working.

When some (but certainly not all by any means) people like a game they make a great deal of allowances for bugs and will still sing praise. If they dislike a game then they focus on little else besides the bugs and cry about it going to market early, how incompetent the devs are, and so on.

I see a lot of of hypocritical behavior where people are coming up with dozens of rationalizations and excuses for a game they like to explain away bugs and excuse the game … then turn around and rant against other games with far less bugs and issues than this one simply because they don't like it.
You sure it's people and not a game's fault?
Take Gothic3 for example. I've never seen a person who loved or hated it, defending it's broken release. It needed more polish and there is noone (sane) who'll claim it was all peachy on release.
An opposite example is FF15. Bugs? Where? No bugs. On top of that it's eyes and ears spectacle on PC. But it's excessively grindy. Find me a person who loves or hates it who'll say it isn't.

I don't believe this is hypocritical at all. In life you weight the good against the bad and come to an overall conclusion.

If I don't like a game, the bugs make the experience even worse so a "bug" is not an isolated event, its part of the whole package and needs to be judged along side the rest of the game.

The fact that people are willing to put up with Kingmaker and calling it the next best thing since toast bread despite the huge number of bugs is testament to the rest of the game. Its badge honour if you ask me.

I don't believe this is hypocritical at all. In life you weight the good against the bad and come to an overall conclusion.

If I don't like a game, the bugs make the experience even worse so a "bug" is not an isolated event, its part of the whole package and needs to be judged along side the rest of the game.

The fact that people are willing to put up with Kingmaker and calling it the next best thing since toast bread despite the huge number of bugs is testament to the rest of the game. Its badge honour if you ask me.

I think his point is that you can't then trash another game for the exact same issues, and claim those issues are the reason you dislike it. Let's take a specific example:

A person enjoys a game a great deal, despite it having bug Z in it. The same person then slams another game because it has bug Z in it. That would be hypocritical. The real reason why he or she enjoyed one game and not the other could be related to things like style of gameplay, writing and so on and so forth. It wouldn't be down to bug Z, as proven by the first game.

I still have to ask you sure it's about people and not a product itself?
Is a person who normally enjoys horrors a hypocrite when says some horror movie sucks?

I have to echo @purpleblob; 's point about how complex the game is. The game is easily the most complex CRPG we've seen since BG2, if not even more complex. I'd rather devs take a risk and make a very deep, complex game that they have to iron out bugs in rather than a simplistic, bug-free game. I've played over 200 hours and only had minor bugs that aren't even worth mentioning. It's my GOTY as well, and will be a classic I replay for years to come. Give me a complex CRPG like this any day, with devs this dedicated to fixing things. :thumbsup:

I think his point is that you can't then trash another game for the exact same issues, and claim those issues are the reason you dislike it. Let's take a specific example:

A person enjoys a game a great deal, despite it having bug Z in it. The same person then slams another game because it has bug Z in it. That would be hypocritical. The real reason why he or she enjoyed one game and not the other could be related to things like style of gameplay, writing and so on and so forth. It wouldn't be down to bug Z, as proven by the first game.

I think I got that but I am saying is that bug Z in game A is ZA but "same" bug in game B is not ZA but its ZB.

For example, say the game A crashes if you jump. So does game B. Same bugs. Now say I am having so much fun with game A, when it crashes, I see it as small down time of restarting the game. The bug doesn't even register in my mind. Now I am bored of game B, if it crashes I see the crash as bloody annoying and I quite game B. I perceive the crash as something different in game B. This is what I meant by a bug is not an isolated thing.

Anybody upset about free DLC isn't understanding that the artists aren't working on patches. Which is WHY there's a cosmetic DLC gift.

The more I hear about KM the happier I am with my decision to not bother with it til it's been re-released with all the inevitable bells, whistles, DLC's, bug-fixes and so on - at a significant discount.

Sometimes it's better to get the game engine right first and ship a more modest effort before trying something this ambitious. A buggy game will damage your financial returns and you risk economic failure.

Errrr....

They are working very hard with their fixes…

Seems a lot of games release early with bugs…. I would imagine the finances are the largest contributor to early buggy release. Doesn't mean that the game or the programmers are crap… just the producers putting the squeeze on the programmers… Am I right in this thought?

Their regular patches does them a lot of credit!
I bought this game early, played for a bit, and then will review it in a little while, but I don't regret paying for it…. That gives them funds to continue to make it better!

Yes, well, I'm not alone in that I don't care about DLCs, I care about a game I can actually play to the finish without game-breaking bugs. It's quite justifiable to wonder about their competence as "veteran" developers when hotfixes break things that weren't broke BEFORE the hotfix. Anyone in business will tell you you get ONE chance at a good first impression. This outfit royally screwed the pooch on that. I don't appreciate paying full price for broken goods. If this were still in Early Access, it will be more tolerable. This is advertised as a "finished" product however.

After watching streams, it appears with no doubt that this product is RPG by this site's standards.

Nothing happens, so little shows up during one hour of play. Loading time, a few lines of text, loading time, a few lines of text, loading time, travel on the map, loading time, rest, loading time, travel on the map, loading time, dull and flavour less random mess combat, loading time and then one hour is passed.

Ultimate time sinker, well worth every single dollar spent on it, maximum dilution of content.

Fits this site well.

After watching streams, it appears with no doubt that this product is RPG by this site's standards.

Nothing happens, so little shows up during one hour of play. Loading time, a few lines of text, loading time, a few lines of text, loading time, travel on the map, loading time, rest, loading time, travel on the map, loading time, dull and flavour less random mess combat, loading time and then one hour is passed.

Ultimate time sinker, well worth every single dollar spent on it, maximum dilution of content.

Fits this site well.
Let me guess, your favorite RPG is Fortnite?

Chien's Law:

As the coherence of his post increases, the possibity of it having value diminishes.

Back
Top Bottom