The Hero of Deathtrap Dungeon - Now on Fig

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Hero of Deathtrap Dungeon is a new game that tries to get funded on Fig, which is based on the Deathtrap Dungeon book

Gamebooks were a convenient (solo! portable!) way to get that old-school roleplaying experience. Among the best was Deathtrap Dungeon™—a fun but deadly tournament maze designed by Ian Livingstone (who later launched Warhammer, Tomb Raider, and Hitman games) and Iain McCaig (who later designed iconic characters Darth Maul, Rocket & Groot, and other concepts for Star Wars, Avengers, Harry Potter, and other films).

Enter, if you dare, a vast tournament labyrinth for a game of high-stakes decisions, where your educated guesses could lead to grave peril or fantastic rewards. In this single player roleplaying game, explore, fight monsters, craft items, solve puzzles, outwit opponents, and skill up your hero to be the first to conquer Deathtrap Dungeon.

Ideal for both veteran roleplayers looking for convenient solo play and new players looking for an easy intro to the classic pen-and-paper RPG experience, The Hero of Deathtrap Dungeon uses the Storybook Hero RPG engine to bring the best parts of "old-school" roleplaying to life in a modern, cinematic way. With the convenience of a gamebook, replayability like a survival roguelike, and the wide wonder of pen and paper roleplaying, this is a revolutionary “Novel” RPG where your actions quite literally write the book as you play.

Train, craft, trade, explore, fight, and uncover secrets to become powerful and experienced enough to be the first to make it all the way through the new expanded Deathtrap Dungeon. You have one month to master the dungeon, so use your time wisely: decide when to train and craft items, and when to journey into the dungeon to fulfill quests or attempt a final run all the way through the dungeon.

Jump into the game immediately as a "level 0" character with a classless skill system. Build your character over time as you play, making more important decisions about your character once you’re further in and you have a better idea how you want to play.

Adventure into the dungeon to solve myriad quests. There are more potential missions than you can solve in one play-through so choose which ones best fit your goals. On expedition, move from encounter to encounter, stopping only to camp and rest in between as needed.

In encounters, put your skills, items, and relationships to the test facing challenging situations. Procedurally-adapted encounters (combat, dialogue, and roleplaying) can often be handled through a broad set of play-styles and solutions.

Your equipment and skills grant you insights and enable additional actions in encounters. In this room, the player grabs an item out of the room and puts it in their inventory, then decides to use their shield and related skill to block the crossbows, and finally grabs the prize.

Combat and negotiations are tactical and turn-based. Skills give you information and options even in combat, negotiation, or social situations. Tells are clues to your opponent’s next action and their current state of mind and physical condition.

More information.

mercy's paradise. :D

So it's another digital gamebook then?

But maybe with more of a cinematic approach. Nice to see all the skills and equipment too, which adds to these RPG book games a lot.
Thanks for the reply Fluent. As the game reminds me of a few already available on Steam, but I never personally played them. Might be worth a pledge at a low level then.

Nice looking!! I'm thinking about backing it.

Carnifex, I don't know what you're meaning but I see no practical differences between Fig and Kickstarter. I backed Wasteland 3 via Fig as well as I backed other games using KS and I couldn't see any sensible differences between these two funding platforms.

Last edited:
Well, I took the bait :)

"Congratulations! You are officially the 690th backer of The Hero of Deathtrap Dungeon by Sentient Play."

I was wondering if the dungeon was randomized for multiple playthroughs and found a partial answer in the comments for anyone else wondering the same:

The in-game map is a graph paper handdrawn dungeon map that your hero is making as he/she explores the dungeon. It will be awesome but partially different for each playthru. The map reward for the campaign is a beautiful illustrated overview area map. The digital map will give you a heads up for the game and will probably be released to backers much earlier than the game.

This is an interesting project that I hadn't read much about previously, so thanks for posting. With Iain McCaig and Ian Livingstone on board, the sense of authenticity is quite strong.

I'm a longtime Fighting Fantasy fan and have supported quite a few of these projects over the years. I've got one called "Fighting Fantasy Legends Portal" on my steam wishlist currently, which is a game that attempts to incorporate the entire "Deathtrap Dungeon trilogy" into one game. This includes the original Deathtrap Dungeon, the sequel Trial of Champions and Armies of Death. It's an ambitious concept that I've often thought would make a great epic adventure. Read about it more here:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/824760/Fighting_Fantasy_Legends_Portal/

I still have my childhood maps for Deathtrap Dungeon somewhere, though I've read the book so many times I reckon I could nearly complete it without it! I remember going to a mate's house high on expectations for the PS1 game though back in the day and going "wtf is this?". That didn't turn out so well. ;) Hopefully this project will do the book justice.

I wonder how it will compare to the sorcery series; from the presentation it suggested it will be much broader and more complex but perhaps that thought is based on my hopes than actual intention.

Back
Top Bottom