Generation Zero - Robo-Survival RPG Coming in March

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCInvasion reports on Generation Zero, which is a robo-survival RPG due to release in March.

Swedish Robo-Survival RPG Generation Zero Coming In March

image-750x422.jpg

Have you ever wanted to roam the countryside of say, I don't know, 1980s Sweden? Perhaps in an alternate timeline where said country was rampant with giant construction themed murder-bots, which you would have to fight?

Well, if you are someone who wanted that, first of all, wow, what a specific thing to desire. Secondly, you're in luck! The company behind both Mad Max and Just Cause, Avalanche Studios, is working on a game just like that. What's more, it's set to release in a few months.

[...]

More information.

I don't like how they refuse to mention the artist Simon Stålenhag (who they know and who also happens to live in the same city as the devs) that very clearly inspired the graphics and theme. They still claim it's their very own idea, yeah right.. In the first screen i saw from the game my first reaction was "ah so someone has hired Stålenhag, cool!"

Personally i'm more looking forward to Atomic Heart:

looks spectacular and really unique. not sure it's really the exact genre but way too many "survival RPG's" has left a bad taste in my mouth so i don't mind if this is more like bioshock.

Generation Zero has definitely lost me when the narrator says (starting from 1:00 in OP video) that we can also play it together with 3 friends in co-op mode.

Odd combination but at least it's not another 2D procedural generation Tactical RPG. Maybe Avalanche Studios can redeem themselves after releasing Just Cause 4.

It's like they thought Fallout76 was going to be huge and wanted to be the first to copy it.

@casheperl Yeah, you can't do zombies any more. Ask google why zombies are racist.

I don't like how they refuse to mention the artist Simon Stålenhag (who they know and who also happens to live in the same city as the devs) that very clearly inspired the graphics and theme. They still claim it's their very own idea, yeah right.. In the first screen i saw from the game my first reaction was "ah so someone has hired Stålenhag, cool!"

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
(Oscar Wilde)

Have you ever wanted to roam the countryside of say, I don't know, 1980s Sweden?

Would rather roam it in the 1280's or earlier :)

I don't like how they refuse to mention the artist Simon Stålenhag (who they know and who also happens to live in the same city as the devs) that very clearly inspired the graphics and theme. They still claim it's their very own idea, yeah right..

Did Simon Stålenhag claim its his art or something? I dont know about it.

Personally i'm more looking forward to Atomic Heart:

You are not alone. Atomic Heart in our heart! :)

And Generation Zero shouldnt be RPG, right? Just open world co-op shooter.

I've already been in the 1980's of Sweden. Wasn't that remarkable… Of course, had there been killer robots around it might have been a bit more interesting?

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
(Oscar Wilde)

Yes, i think Stålenhag even said that he is very flattered. But it's also nice to give credit to the artist that inspired you instead of saying "nope, it had zero affect on me, this is all my ideas."

Yes, i think Stålenhag even said that he is very flattered. But it's also nice to give credit to the artist that inspired you instead of saying "nope, it had zero affect on me, this is all my ideas."

I read the PCGamer link that Cacheperl posted here yesterday. That's what upsetting Stålenhag, the fact the guys behing Generation Zero aren't even mentioning his work as one of the sources of inspiration.

While I agree to a certain point but their legal team probably told them don't answer. Otherwise they might open a door to a lawsuit, royalties, or some other other problem.

While I agree to a certain point but their legal team probably told them don't answer. Otherwise they might open a door to a lawsuit, royalties, or some other other problem.

But even if Avalanche doesn't acknowledge him as source of inspiration, Stålenhag could sue them anyway.

But even if Avalanche doesn't acknowledge him as source of inspiration, Stålenhag could sue them anyway.
True but I was just given one example why. As lawsuits are unpredictable.

Ack, I failed to notice the co-op focus that seems to be prevalent in this game. That would likely stop me from purchasing it, unless the single player campaign is simply outstanding.

Not likely, this is Sweden, not US. It would have lead nowhere. There has also been no threats from Stålenhag, quite the opposite, he's just mentioned it would've been nice to be noticed, as an artist this is nothing strange, getting a bit of recognition is very important so that your art and reputation can spread. If the team would have said "inspired by the fantastic art of Simon Stålenhag" he would have been more than happy i bet + the game would be even more hyped, too + a bit of boost for Stålenhag, e.g more followers, more interest from people who haven't heard about him etc. Win-win.

you can also not copyright a specific type of art either, that would be really weird.. Not even in the US it would have lead anywhere. If they had used textures directly from his paintings that would have been something else, but being inspired and doing something very similar is of course ok to do.

I totally agree that Stålenhag would very likely never have sued them.

you can also not copyright a specific type of art either, that would be really weird..

On the other hand, look at all those disputes about the battletech mech designs.

Back
Top Bottom