How Many RPGs Must You Play Until...

So you want to skip part of a game because you played other games with a similar progression. Why play it at all then if you find it to be that tedious. Invest your money in more innovative titles.

Your desire to skip monotony based on a prior pedigree of monotony does nothing to address the elephant in the room… If a title is truly absorbing, you won't want to skip anything. This should all be common sense.
The problem with a good amount of CRPGs though (in particular older ones) is that the whole "having to get more powerful" bit is holding back an otherwise amazing game. I would have been totally absorbed by the game, if it were not for the fact that it forced me to grind.
Beating one game like that, sure, it is doable, but after a handful, it gets tedious and predictable. Here I find that many of the mid 90's and later games managed to do a good job though, they integrate the "growing in power" into the main storyline progression in a way that makes it feel far less like grind. Compare BG and how grindy it feels with say Bard's Tale.

It's like MMOs. Many people consider the time you spend to reach max level as 'the grind'. To me it's quite the contrary, I enjoy the leveling time much more than being max level (which is what I consider 'the grind' as it's when you're really doing the same thing over and over), to the point where I consider the game or character finished when he gets to max level.

It's like MMOs. Many people consider the time you spend to reach max level as 'the grind'. To me it's quite the contrary, I enjoy the leveling time much more than being max level (which is what I consider 'the grind' as it's when you're really doing the same thing over and over), to the point where I consider the game or character finished when he gets to max level.

IMO

=/ The problem with this is that the games are not designed for a terrific leveling experience the reason why the majority of MMO players play them is for the "Multiplayer" content. eg: Raids, Dungeons, pvp :-/ etc.
This is where the the development focus's their time and energy.

I feel like if people are playing MMO's for strictly the leveling experience then they are paying for sub-par experience at best. One that could be more easily found in a single player rpg.

Plus they are also missing out on a core part of the experience in MMO Gaming.

I wonder if it's really specific to games. Seems like some play/replay as a duty, so if it's boring they continue play anyway. But if it's boring stop play it. Seriously, tastes differ so it's just for me, but many classic oldies are just boring and impossible to play or replay for me.

Ok the curiosity can push continue, but why lost your time? If a movie is boring or a series is boring or a book is boring, you continue anyway until the end just to know the end? If that's your problem, then you should learn stop be a slave of your (vain) curiosity. Most often if it's boring in beginning or middle, the end is a crap anyway.

That's exactly why I couldn't play some famous CRPG, they could have some good or great stuff, but if for example that have also a large number of fights and if fights are tedious and bore me, I can't continue long. Ok I haven't play those classics, it's not end of life.

Moreover there's the problem of mood, you could not be in the good mood, if you force it, possibly you'll waste a big fun you would get by trying another time when you'll be in a mood better suited for the stuff, game or anything else.

You should better play City of Bywater instead of those boring old stuff. ;)

IMO

=/ The problem with this is that the games are not designed for a terrific leveling experience the reason why the majority of MMO players play them is for the "Multiplayer" content. eg: Raids, Dungeons, pvp :-/ etc.
This is where the the development focus's their time and energy.

I feel like if people are playing MMO's for strictly the leveling experience then they are paying for sub-par experience at best. One that could be more easily found in a single player rpg.

Plus they are also missing out on a core part of the experience in MMO Gaming.
Not really. One of the first and most famous MMOs was Everquest, and it took you at least 6 months to max level (when it started). I loved that game and that leveling speed. It was fun to play with friends (and you had to, as there was not much to do solo) even if you were only level 5.
I played EQ1 for about 2.5 years and never reached max level. Played City of Heroes for about 2 years and only made max level a bit after the first year. So, to me, max level is when the game turns boring, not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom