Lists versus GUI inventories - a scientific poll

Savage lists versus civilized GUI invetories

• GUI inventories are superior, industry standard, and clearly better than a ridiculous 1987 list.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I am of below-average intelligence, possess a tenuous grasp of reality, and still see GUIs win

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I am a monkey savage who loves lists. I also think blacks and women voting was an awful idea.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No preference. I also think a space rocket and this rock I am holding are the same.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Bubbles

Watchdog
This has been eating away at me and I need closure in order to become a productive citizen again. It seems “retro” really is all the rage and people love’em some lists. I have devised a scientific poll to gauge just how backwards the world is. Please vote and feel free to leave insane ramblings on how lists and the standard GUI inventories are equivalent and all the so-called but yet to be articulated benefits of lists.

I personally don't care as either one is fine with me. I don't see the need to debate about them either. Can't wait for the insane replies and the forum debate.;)

I was having issues with the poll character limit of 100. My original selections where much longer, elaborate, and more scientific. I had to whittle them down.

I prefer gui based inventories, but either way hardly makes or breaks a game for me.

I prefer nonjrpg/nonconsole inventories.
No such option to vote. Sorry.

What a strange poll. Anyways, I've always prefered text lists of inventory rather than using the mouse to pick up and move items around on a graphic inventory screen. Lists seem more direct and and to the point and without a need to have graphics for every single inventory item.

This poll scientifically proves that over 35% of so called rpg players are savage cavemen. It also scientifically proves that people who like or are not bothered by lists instead of real GUI inventory are racist misogynists or are extremely low functioning. I think they prefer the term handicapable. I’m not sure. As a scientist I spend my time around exceedingly bright and rational people so do not interact with the handicapable population often enough to know their lingo.

You do know that a list is a kind of GUI interface, right?
Science failure detected…

And people are a kind of monkey, right? But, really, the monkeys are the people who turn from science and play crpgs with lists. I am a homo sapien, and a civilized one at that. I shower, I take care of my family with no outside help, and I know what silverware should be used at fancy restaurants. I believe in science. We can explore space, and we have a far better way of presenting inventories in games than lists. A list is a list and have been around since 7000BC. We can expect better from crpgs. NAY! We should demand better!

Funny you should bring this up, I've been working on building a library of mods to change every RPG released in the last 20 years to use list views instead of a grid type gui. I just love lists. There is no better feeling than scrolling through great, huge, bloated lists. LISTS! LISTS! LISTS!

Funny you should bring this up, I've been working on building a library of mods to change every RPG released in the last 20 years to use list views instead of a grid type gui. I just love lists. There is no better feeling than scrolling through great, huge, bloated lists. LISTS! LISTS! LISTS!

Wait a second. Weren’t you in the Navy? Of course that means you love lists, using inefficient and outdated names for things like starboard and port, and butts. Hairy man butts. Endless supplies of lists and hairy man bum. If you didn’t have lists how could you dot I’s? To each their own and all, but science has proven woman butts are much better than man butts (I thing it was something like at least 10% more delicious but don’t quote me on that).

Specifically joining the Navy and becoming a seaman invalidates any opinion you have on anything and scientifically proves you have bad taste. Hence, making your crazy scheme of wanting to mod the real, modern GUI inventories of games with savage caveman lists make complete sense. But, your downfall is letting me onto your evil plan, thus allowing me to use science to easily avoid your plot unscathed, with my games’ civilized and modern GUI inventories created with advanced technologies intact. SCIENCE! SPACE EXPLORATION! POSITIVE ENERGY! EQUALITY! ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES! GUIs! WOMEN’S RIGHTS! SENSIBLE SHOES! SOLAR POWER! THE FUTURE!

Good job cherry-picking the results of those butt deliciousness research articles. In the meta-analysis (which has a nice list of the pertinent articles), it clearly states that female butt is only more delicious above sea level. Below sea level, hairy man butt has been found to be more delicious, while also increasing in deliciousness the closer the butt gets to Europe.

Anyway, it is true that I used many lists in the Navy. At one point, I was the curator of a list of lists. That's not even a joke. It was a big deal.

However, you seem to have an undue amount of faith in your "advanced science." LISTS ARE THE ONE, TRUE WAY. THERE IS NO LEFT NOR RIGHT. THERE IS ONLY UP AND DOWN! SO IT WAS IN THE BEGINNING, SO IT SHALL BE IN THE END.

Repent, and add your name to the Great List.

Good job cherry-picking the results of those butt deliciousness research articles. In the meta-analysis (which has a nice list of the pertinent articles), it clearly states that female butt is only more delicious above sea level. Below sea level, hairy man butt has been found to be more delicious, while also increasing in deliciousness the closer the butt gets to Europe.

Well, as I always say, you can’t argue with science. I concede to your superior knowledge of man-butt.

LISTS ARE THE ONE, TRUE WAY.

Nuh-uh

THERE IS NO LEFT NOR RIGHT

Yes there is. I’m typing left to right right now, see?

THERE IS ONLY UP AND DOWN!

I just proved with science this is incorrect with my reply just before this reply.

SO IT WAS IN THE BEGINNING, SO IT SHALL BE IN THE END.

This one is hard to dispute since the very first rpgs and crpgs had lists, and now the “latest and greatest” also have lists. Thus, disproving the old yarn, “you can’t stop progress.”

over 35% of so called rpg players are savage cavemen.
There is no need to use polls or whatever for that conclusion.
I'm definetly in that 35% as my hair is long and I have a huge beard.
And I refuse to buy horse armor DLC. Oh wait, that'd be about mainstream players, not "so called rpg players".

Will you please take a day or two and think over the "GUI problem" some more.
Is it really ruining anyone, is it really that critical and does it deserve any highlight anywhere?
I believe there are more important (and negative) trends in games industry today than GUI design.

There is no need to use polls or whatever for that conclusion.
I'm definetly in that 35% as my hair is long and I have a huge beard..

So does my wife, but it doesn’t mean she hunts dinner or writes in hieroglyphics. So does Thor for that matter. As long as you wash your mouth, nuts, ass, and armpits daily your locks and facial hair can be as long, flowing, and beautiful as you want. Since I am the epitome of true civilization, I, of course, am clean shaven with a high-and-tight. But this isn’t about others being as civilized as me, as that is an unrealistic expectation. This is about the lowest expectable parameters of being able to be considered civilized at all.

And I refuse to buy horse armor DLC. Oh wait, that'd be about mainstream players, not "so called rpg players".

Horse armor DLC has no effect on me. A fool and his/her money are soon parted. If people want to buy horse armor for money they’ve worked for it’s none of my business. I do think it is funny for a corporation that comes out with games that always seem to include strong anti-capitalism messages that they price gouge customers with DLC to have a complete game experience, often charging $100 or more for a full, complete game. Or that drones on about female empowerment but puts high-heels on Ashley Williams. You have to love the modern day hypocrite.

Will you please take a day or two and think over the "GUI problem" some more.
Is it really ruining anyone, is it really that critical and does it deserve any highlight anywhere?
I believe there are more important (and negative) trends in games industry today than GUI design

I’ve been playing crpgs since the 80s and for almost the last decade people such as I were royally screwed by the shift and focus of crpgs. I took it in the rear for over a decade being forced to buy crap if I wanted to play a sub-par, crappy, action game with slight rpg elements. But, what was a standard was even the lowest, crappiest "rpgs" all had an actually GUI inventory. That was a given. Crpgs had real inventories. Now, the “rpgs” everyone is pissing their pants over and spend 80 bazillion dollars on graphics do not even have the decency or common courtesy to spend more than $5 on a real GUI inventory, but stick “rpg” fans with lists? Fuck those monkeys. I don’t have a console and do not want a shitty console port. I play crpgs and crpgs have a real inventory.

Now, an MMO-“rpg” comes out with a list for an inventory? And not just a mmo, a game literally with lootables every two feet. The game is a looting simulation with a little combat and npc interaction. And we get stuck with a list? Like this is 1987? Sorry, no. Supporting lists in computer released rpgs is like supporting the starvation of 10 million Ukrainians by Russia in the early 20th century. It is equivalent of supporting women having to stay at home with the kids while the “man” goes out and supports the family. It is the same as Saudi Arabian government killing the grooms and all guests at a secret gay wedding. It’s all things civilized people have evolved away from and do not accept nor tolerate.

Now, you can hop around saying “uga booga” and being amazed by fire and toothbrushes all day, or you can accept that lists are not acceptable in crpgs, period. Are you on team-21st century, or team-monkey-caveman?

Didn't think this thread will die so soon…

So I'll try. :)

I hate all controller friendly inventories. And all phonegame friendly inventories. All.
I want to press I on the keyboard, click on an item (okay, on some item filter inbetween) and that's it. And I want my "hotbar" to be both clickable and mappable if the game is not not FPS/TPS style!
I don't use a controller and I don't care for necessity of scrolling, rotation, treebranching submenus and whatnot. Keep that stuff for console games and on PC stop annoying me.

The worst recent inventory system I've seen in a game on PC?
DX:The Fall.
Yes, it's a game ported from phones, but at least they could make a proper inventory system instead of retarded F, G and midmouse button quickpress to use or hold to rotate items something like that.

It's impossible to number all games on PC with systems I loved, but one example does come in mind - Arcanum. Easy to use and easy to organize with "tetris" itemsort.

Back
Top Bottom