|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » How many RPGs do you like to play every year?

View Poll Results - How many RPGs do you like to play every year?

1-2 6 9.52%
3-4 16 25.40%
5-6 17 26.98%
7-12 13 20.63%
13-24 7 11.11%
25+ 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Default How many RPGs do you like to play every year?

February 18th, 2016, 00:24
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
What's the point of playing through both versions? I'm just curious.
I played halfway through DDSO when it first came out but then I decided to wait for the patches to end ( same thing with POE). Then they brought out EE which is supposed to have significant changes warranting a separate release, and for me a separate playthrough.

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

February 18th, 2016, 01:57
I've been playing only 1-2 last couple of years. I just don't have time and energy anymore and nothing excites me these days. Perhaps work fatigue, coupled with other reasons. In saying that, I really hope it will change soon! I would love to plunge into exciting adventure like I used to.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
+1:

February 18th, 2016, 05:03
Pretty much feel the same way, Purple; gaming just doesn't thrill me as it used to. I feel old!!!!

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

February 18th, 2016, 06:39
Originally Posted by wiretripped View Post
Hm. Voted 5-6. I tend to start a lot of games, but persist only with a few. I might only finish 2-3 games every year.

Also, my backlog is so long that I run a few years behind, so I haven't played any of the recent titles yet (the most recent one would be D:OS EE). Big advantage is by the time I get to them, they're fully patched up and as complete as can be.
Heh, I might even go back to even older titles on a whim. I just started my umpteenth attempt at G3, for example, and G1 is also sitting on my disk waiting to be continued.
This sounds like me too. The only thing I would add is that when I do get sucked in, it usually only takes a week or two to beat that title. I guess I am a binge RPG'er.

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 18th, 2016, 08:08
Apparently I only actually finish about 6 per year. I guess I bounce off of far more than I thought.

greywolf00

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

February 18th, 2016, 10:07
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
I've been playing only 1-2 last couple of years. I just don't have time and energy anymore and nothing excites me these days. Perhaps work fatigue, coupled with other reasons. In saying that, I really hope it will change soon! I would love to plunge into exciting adventure like I used to.
Ahhh, well, I find that usually the remedy to that is a really good game. They are hard to find though!!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

February 18th, 2016, 17:23
1 or 2 great games a year is a lot better than 5-6 average games. Might be stating the obvious, but I think that is an important point. If quality is there, people are satisfied with less quantity. Which kind of points out that developers should not try to hard to give us all we want, or you are limiting the game market. Whatever you leave out leaves that much more market demand.

utergatuk

Watchdog

February 18th, 2016, 20:36
A key to playing RPGs for me, is having the right more action type game to compliment the one I'm playing.

With so many so long and deep now, they're inevitably comes a point where you desire a change of pace ir breather. So playing something like Tomb Raider or Mini Ninjas alongside something like Lost Odyssey or Fallout works nicely for me.
--
“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Falksi

Sentinel

February 18th, 2016, 20:48
I'd LIKE to play all of them, but I think I fall in the 13-24 section for how many get at least a handful of hours. It is very rare for me to finish a game. I love low-level combat and exploration, so I'm very likely to play 6-8 characters all up to the mid-levels. I think I started about 12 folks in DA:I and I'm probably on my 8th or 9th mage/sorcerer in DDDA. I also played 4-5 different characters in Fallout-4. The total time in just these 3 games is over 500 hours.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

February 18th, 2016, 21:25
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I'd LIKE to play all of them, but I think I fall in the 13-24 section for how many get at least a handful of hours. It is very rare for me to finish a game. I love low-level combat and exploration, so I'm very likely to play 6-8 characters all up to the mid-levels. I think I started about 12 folks in DA:I and I'm probably on my 8th or 9th mage/sorcerer in DDDA. I also played 4-5 different characters in Fallout-4. The total time in just these 3 games is over 500 hours.
I didn't play Fallout 4 (although my Skyrim was similar), but the 12 folks in DA:I and 9th character in DDDA I can understand very well.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

February 19th, 2016, 08:34
Played and finished are two different things.
I play about 6 or 7 finish 2 or 3 a year on average.

Warmark

Sentinel

February 23rd, 2016, 18:57
Last year I played around 8-10 RPGs, I think. Mostly older games. I completed the most of them. Guess I played more than 10 non-RPGs too, but those have a smaller rate of completion and mostly I just played for half a dozen hours.

Even though I like years full of cool new games, I could spend some 5 years only playing stuff that has already been released, I guess. And if I count JRPG, I guess 10 years, maybe? But I don't like them so much as I did before these days.

GabrielMP_19

Vault Survivor

February 23rd, 2016, 19:31
I play probably around 10 or so including replays. How many do I actually finish? Zero
--
"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black." - Nigel Tufnel

Nukester

Sentinel

February 24th, 2016, 07:34
I think my reply of "as many as I can" probably fits best into 25+

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

February 24th, 2016, 11:11
There's lots of great replies here, and it's fascinating how much and how relatively even in number the replies are, it's almost a perfect Dome Curve (or whatever you call it).

I'd just like to point out though that the title specifically asks how many you'd 'like' to play a year, not how many you 'actually' play per year, and I'm surprised how many people are using the word 'actual' rather than 'like' in their replies.

It's a perfect world scenario. If there was unlimited RPGs of the variety that you liked produced every year then how often would you start a new one. Whether you are a completionist or not is not entirely relevant as you would go as far as you usually would if it was an RPG you liked, whatever that usual is for the type you like.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

February 24th, 2016, 12:08
Fewer than I'd like, that's for sure.

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

February 24th, 2016, 14:17
Where's the "not enough" option? I'm slowing down a little in my middle age and the balance between work and play is unfortunately not as favorable as it once was.
Perhaps once I finally finish building a new rig for the current age, things will pick up again, we'll see.

I'm still excited by games, even classics of yore that I haven't yet experienced.
RPGs remain one of my favorite hobbies to write and think about.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

February 24th, 2016, 20:05
If I had infinite (good) options and time to spare, I'd like to play at least some 12 RPGs per year (with 25-40 hours each. More time, less games; less time, more games). It's actually pretty close to what I played last year, which is great. This year, though, I'm finishing college, so I guess way less time to play.

GabrielMP_19

Vault Survivor

March 2nd, 2016, 03:23
Maybe 5 a year, if it's a good year for RPGs. (Or soon after a good year - I can't seem to stay up to date any more.)

I don't know what you folks are talking about wrt getting old. How many more minutes until I can retire and play even MORE games!? That retirement home better have gigabit internet.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

March 2nd, 2016, 05:43
New RPG's or better asked first play through or a RPG.

A lot of the time I find myself replaying games now of days and or playing older games I never played before.
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » How many RPGs do you like to play every year?