The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Oh thanks! It's been ages since I've listened to Seether. Great song.

Stuff I'm always listening to since these are my favorite bands and IMHO, some of the greatest ever.

The Clash

X

Los Lobos

Poor Mike just keeps soldiering on amongst all us heathen popsters. Ya gotta respect that. I'll admit I was a little surprised with that one, Mike. I was expecting the whole thing to sound like "Ife" and "Rated X", which isn't really a good thing for me. "Billy Preston" was nearly listenable! ;) Even tracks like "The Hen" and "Mtume", which are pretty busy, have enough, ummm, intent (?) that they have some flow.

I almost put up Marine Time Keepers, but I think I've done that one before, so how about this little Japanese gazer gem:
"Thursday" by Asobi Seksu

I just finished listening to a lot of albums that I got in 2007 so I can make my annual "Top X music of 200X" list. Anyways, here are the 7 albums that ended up on my 2007 list.

1. "Mirrored" by Battles
2. "Ire Works" by The Dillinger Escape Plan
3. "23" by Blonde Redhead
4. "Everybody" by The Sea and Cake
5. "Let's Stay Friends" by Les Savy Fav
6. "The Con" by Tegan and Sara
7. "Wincing the Night Away" by The Shins

Poor Mike just keeps soldiering on amongst all us heathen popsters.
Hehe ... this is all about sharing, isn't it? Can't say I've bought anything based on the thread, but I have heard plenty of new stuff :)

Mrs dte is the hair metal freak, but there were a couple bands back in the day that I liked.

"You're in Love" by Ratt

I hope Mrs. dte has a soft spot for Queensryche. They were my all-time favorite hair-band!

Queensryche wasn't cute enough to attract Mrs dte, but I did enjoy their work.

Well, after another few trips through 'On the Corner' (about 7 hours of material inthe box set) ...

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

Seminal funk-rock stuff ... but like most stuff that was 'ahead of its' time' 35+ years ago, it hasn't aged all that gracefully ... still some badass stuff!

Heard this one on Vertigo tonight. Very Cure-ish with some extra reverb thrown in for good measure. Smoother vocals than Fat Bob, too. ;)
"The Tears of the World" by fragile

Last edited:
I took my wife's car to pick up dinner tonight and she had U2: The Unforgettable Fire in the CD player. I listened to it, which brought back a lot of fond memories of when I was in college in the 1980's... many of which are quite "hazy" ;)

Ensiferum. I'm a sucker for Finnish symphonic/folk/epic metal.

Still rockin out to the morose croonings of Morrissey this morning, although I dont like his solo stuff half as much as his Smiths stuff

I've actually got a couple today, but we'll just go with one for now and save the other for later. I've wanted to share this one for quite a while, but I never could find it. They finally put it up on their Myspace page. Special bonus-the band has made this tune available for free download. Good, anthemic shtuff, much more poppy than my usual offerings!
"Our Secrets" by Helen Stellar

Recently I dug through my CD collection and started to listening to 3 that I haven't had out for a while; they're old but pretty good. Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies. It's one of those records that grow on you over time. A little like Pink Floyd. Amazing, layered production. Luna - Penthouse. Again, excellent production values. Simple 4 piece band that would have been huge had grunge never came to be. And The Jesus and Mary Chain's Honey's Dead. Not good from beginning to end, but about 8 songs that are pretty amazing.

*Oh and regarding Lazer Guided Melodies, just in case anybody decides they want this one, make sure to get the CD version with all songs indexed; the newest release has the songs bunched together in 4 'suites' that each contain, I think, 3 songs. So if you want to listen to a particular song, you have to fast forward to get to it. A pain in the neck. Why they did this on later pressings, I have no idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Lazer-Guided-...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199872624&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Penthouse-Lun...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199872592&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Honeys-Dead-Jesus-Mary-Chain/dp/B000FFJ830

Last edited:
Listening to Sky 2 - classical guitarist John Williams (not the film composer) formed a classical-rock fusion unit in the late 70's and produced some cool stuff. Love this one, and have augmented it (on my iPod) with their wonderful reading of Sati's Gymnopedie #1.

I ended up dumping Lazer Guided Melodies. It just never grew on me at all. I'm not sure how much "later" really applies as far as "later pressings"--I got my copy years ago and it was already set up as 4 tracks.

JAMC is sort of a bad situation for me. While I respect their pivotal role in the whole scene, I just don't like their stuff. I've tried, but it just ain't happening. I've got the same problem with Ride.

Back
Top Bottom