Baldur's Gate 3 rumors

Wouldn't they also have to acquire license to the D&D system? Baldur's Gate is just a setting, so without it they'd have to use their own combat rules, spells, etc.

A hilarious option would be to use the Pathfinder ruleset. :lol:

But yeah, let Baldurs Gate rest in peace.

I would love to see a new D&D game and if it has to be Baldur's Gate 3, so be it. One thing that Kingmaker has shown me is that D&D character creation and advancement is second to none. Would love to see 5e also.

Maybe a new one following the Icewind Dale approach? I mean… starting with a fully customized party? Six times the fun! I'd probably need at least a few days, just to create the party.

And no, I am not creating my own mercenary NPCs in Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Too costly. I won't spend money on mercs, when orphans are still going hungry in my kingdom. (Actually, I spend it all on weapons and armor. But someone needs to protect the poor orphans, right? Ever tried to feed a dead orphan?)

Last edited:
I believe the original idea for a Baldur's Gate 3 was that it turns out some of the Bhallspawn survived and didn't pursue their heritage. Or maybe it was the fact that
You didn't pursue your heritage in one of the endings so the world is running around without a god of murder.

The reason for no D&D is its obviously a license issue and WotC has vetoed stuff that they didn't like. CRPG devs have been avoiding licensing the game since the 70's.
Yep until they decided the third game was to be set in the same world but without Bhallspawn. If I remember you were a prisoner, and it was called The Black Hound.

Still the lore says the Bhallspawn of the Baldur's Gate Saga is officially dead.

Not sure if Larian/Belgian quirkiness is the right choice here.
Though come to think of it, BG 1 had that talking chicken quest.

Whether Larian would do it justice or not I leave in the middle, but BG had plenty of quirkiness. Space hamsters, anyone?

Whether anyone did a good or bad job; some folks would find some reason to label it awful. Very few games go without some set of vocal critics - though some games which I would consider over-rated - have gotten very little criticism.

Owl. Cat. Games.

or Beamdog. Or InXile. But really, Owl. Cat. Games.

Owl. Cat. Games.

or Beamdog. Or InXile. But really, Owl. Cat. Games.
Got a new Avatar for you Fluent.:biggrin:

6fbca759699795.Y3JvcCwxMTIzLDg3OSwxMzgsODY.png

BzEymmr0+S463bCKm2uUbRLuOvvuOnyDPumRDqLPpnTRveZsx2m82all9XS5P6Jx9fKmRT5vNZqkoJefvryv6AbTH6CejJeeT0ZLzyWjJ+WT8T8j5ozUIOnJ6Y+8PYtxwr80WLVq0aNGiRYv34z8wlwGBwslewAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

LOL. That's hardcore!

Larian has denied it. Beamdog has denied it. It would be strange for Fargo to tweet that, if it was actually inXile. But they do collaborate with Obsidian, which leaves them as the only developers left with enough of a pedigree to do it any justice. There's nothing else known that's big on Obsidian's horizon, and PoE2 is wrapped up.

If all this is the correct math, my bet is on Obsidian being the highest probability.

Larian has denied it. Beamdog has denied it. It would be strange for Fargo to tweet that, if it was actually inXile. But they do collaborate with Obsidian, which leaves them as the only developers left with enough of a pedigree to do it any justice. There's nothing else known that's big on Obsidian's horizon, and PoE2 is wrapped up.

If all this is the correct math, my bet is on Obsidian being the highest probability.
Yep agree it will probably be Obsidian, but Fargo over at inXile could be also. As I remember he talked about a secret unannounced project in an RPS interview.

The only downside is it will be an online sandbox game.

Just let it rest in my opinion. The story of Gorion's ward is over. Anyone attempting this, even Obsidian, is likely to fall flat on their faces as the bar is just too high due to nostalgia. I don't think it's even possible to deliver according to expectations on a project like this.

That being said, I'd obviously try it if it was made. :D

Yep agree it will probably be Obsidian, but Fargo over at inXile could be also. As I remember he talked about a secret unannounced project in an RPS interview.

The only downside is it will be an online sandbox game.

Isn't inxile's online project their battle royale game set in the wasteland universe? If I understand correctly they got $10M funding from investors for this recently. Fargo was lucky enough to make this deal before BTIV's uh, messy release :p

What do you mean nothing big from Obsidian? Cain&Boyarski AAA RPG is in the works there. I am sure now that PoE2 is done they will transfer people over to that game.

It's probably Owlcat Games. Not just saying that because I'm a fan but Kingmaker showed they can do a game very close to Baldur's Gate, and I think that was a demonstration for what they could do. Unless InXile is doing it, but their sales haven't been great lately.

Back
Top Bottom