Grimoire Started...

56 hours and counting and still in the first act. This is a loooong game but is very engrossing and addicting. Some quest frustration and a few imbalance issues but nothing to really harm the overall experience. Make sure you talk to those NPC's!

Still cranking on it! I did spend several hours firing up and creating a party in Wizardry7 which now because of Grimoire is holding massive appeal to me. The CosmicForge DosBox attachment will give me the game's automap feature realtime in a companion window (vs having to hit F5). I may pause and play Wizardry7 because I've hit level 7 across the board in Grimoire and I'm starting to consider multiclassing. The lack of a class guide for that is a bit of a problem. I love this game really. I don't mind waiting for a class guide similar to Wizardry7's ample guide to get the most out of this playthrough.

As far as "is Grimoire worth playing" I would say absolutely it is pretty amazing - with the caveat that you need to already enjoy or discover that you enjoy the Wizardry games, particularly W7. If you love W7 this is a total no-brainer. Its your game.

I didn't need six hundred hours to complete my first play through, but it did take close to a month. All time well spent in my opinion, and I really do intend to play this one again down the road. I used my own team for my first trip, when I play again I'll likely try some of the characters you encounter while playing.

I think I'm going to finish tonight. It will be about 90 hours, in comparison 60 hours for Pillars of Eternity, 55 for Skyrim, 78 for Underrail, and 55 for Divinity: Original Sin. So its a big game, but 600 hours is laughable.

I think I'm going to finish tonight. It will be about 90 hours, in comparison 60 hours for Pillars of Eternity, 55 for Skyrim, 78 for Underrail, and 55 for Divinity: Original Sin. So its a big game, but 600 hours is laughable.

You must be the type to stick to the main quest and skip a lot of side content. 55 hours is fairly short for Skyrim and Divinity: Original Sin.

Shoot, I spent 350 hours in Skyrim and didn't even do the Thieve's Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Civil War and didn't even have the DLC at the time. You guys got to take your time and enjoy the experience. Smell the flowers. :p

I didn't think there were any flowers in Skyrim, too cold and too much snow!! :D

How? Did you alter spawn rate? I’m in Samhain at level 7 at 62 hours.

I finished part 1 in 30 hours. I did alter the spawn rate on any map where the creatures gave me what I considered worthless xp, especially when backtracking. Also casting locate item at full strength gives you the full map of an area including any important items on the map. I also got help on the internet for the final puzzle in part I, which was too obtuse for me to solve on my own. I do all side material for a while, but at some point I grow bored with it. For me the ideal game length for a good game is 40-60 hours, at that point I grow tired of it, for games I like less the threshold is far less. I did do two playthroughs of Skyrim. My first character was a warrior and did Warrior's and Bard's quests. My second character did Dark Brotherhood's and Wizard's quests.
I finished Grimoire last night. I found the end rather abrupt.

Ooops for the 600H, I found the source origin, it's in game description at Steam:
"As much as 600 hours of play with hand-painted graphics and old skool goodness!"

On howlongtobeat, one report, 140H but rushed. One report you never know how safe.

In my opinion it's how a play time should always be quoted, with some comparison reference. But it's not enough, there's a problem of completionist play or not, main story only or not.

There's some balance that don't match for me in your references, PoE1 main story is no way longer than DOS main story and from very far. And your times can't be completionist plays either. So my bet is it's just your time and you have been more or less completionist, depending of the game, but this is a problem for time references.

EDIT: To temper a bit the 600H madness of the dev, I'd say that players that get help from internet got a wrong old school play time.

EDIT2: The problem of solutions on internet is the why and how find are missing, so when it's not obvious, you never know the madness that allowed the player solve the problem. It could be a hidden information in a quite different area you rushed.

For me the ideal game length for a good game is 40-60 hours, at that point I grow tired of it, for games I like less the threshold is far less.
I would tend agree on the time length but for RPG only, other games it depends of the genre. But I play a lot slower and don't estimate a different time lol.

For the grow tired I diverge, for me it's to the trash, example Skyrim or The Witcher 3.

You guys got to take your time and enjoy the experience. Smell the flowers. :p

My opinion too, when it's great, slow down and enjoy, when it's borderline, speed up, don't bother, and search next good part.

For me sometimes it goes as far as, when reading a book, and after a wow part, or some mysterious part rather intriguing, or when some topic are covered, then pause and wonder, thought, develop about it, this is part of reading time, best parts. Sometimes it can happen in a video game, and it's part of play time.

So even if I think people should better learn take their time to enjoy and savor what is good, its also a matter of personality and how much you feel you lost your time and need hurry when you read, or play a game. :)

Well to be fair Felipepepe stated in his review that it took him around 80 hours to finish Grimoire, so he finished 10 hours faster than I did.

edit: There are a number of things I didn't do. I never learned how to use eldritch spells and didn't go back to use the moongates or go deep well fishing even though I could have.

I haven't tried locate items but I will in desperation next time. I've spent more than a few hours carefully inspecting walls for secrets. I actually enjoy studying a mostly completed map to deduce where a secret area would be and I'm usually right. But that may account for 15 of my 60 hours so far! I also can't blame you for looking up some solutions online as "obtuse" is a good word for some of the content. I'm trying to think like the developer more which helps but sometimes you just have to cry uncle. 600H is certainly an inaccurate estimate if it comes from the developer who knows where everything is and designed all the puzzles. How would he know? I'd say for a player like me its a 200H game roughly.

The Detect Secrets spell is your friend!! :)

place holder post

17 hours in and not even out of Briarpatch. The game is surprisingly good. I could easily see 100 plus hours. Looks like a game I can put a lot of time into but not finish (aka Skyrim)

I'm not certain how many hours it took me to complete this game when it first released, but it was certainly more than one hundred hours. You are in for a few weeks of entertainment!!!!

Back
Top Bottom