Diablo 3 - Skill and Rune Changes

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Blizzard's Jay Wilson has written a blog post that explains recent changes to the Diablo III Skill and Rune system. If I understand correctly, the game now provides a "guide" to skill combinations to "maximise your build potential", though you can opt out of this system if you would prefer. It's a long post, so here's a snip:
To fix these issues, we focused on two core changes: (1) exposing the skill design intent by categorizing the skills and (2) linking skill selection directly to the bottom-bar UI to make assigning skills a clearer process. When viewing the skill screen, you’ll be presented with your six skill selection slots; each of these correspond directly to your bottom bar, and each will provide a specific list of skills from which to choose. By providing a clear-cut guide on how to best maximize your build potential, we hope to cover that “easy to learn” half of the mantra.

One of our other goals is to ensure our game controls and interfaces are easy to use so that players spend their time trying to master game mechanics rather than fighting an interface. Giving players complete freedom to choose “anything” with no direction as to how our systems are intended to work was a failure in our design. There was also a detached relationship between the bottom-bar UI and the skill system. We have six skill slots, and six spots to put skills, but the two interfaces didn't really interact, and stocking abilities in your interface felt awkward.
You may already be fuming because you’re a “difficult to master” type of person, but before you run to the forums, we have you covered. In the Gameplay options, we’ve added an ‘Elective Mode’ for the skill system. With this checkbox ticked you’ll be able to place any skill in any skill slot, as freely as you could before. The Elective Mode option is available at any time with no requirements or need to unlock it. We hope the new, more guided interface will give you an in-game heads up as to the intent of each skill -- and maybe even be the way you play through the game in Normal -- but if you eventually have a build that simply can’t be accomplished the way we’ve laid things out, you’re free to pop on Elective Mode and take the skills you want.
More information.

I usually attempt to post more articulate comments than this, however: the new changes are total shite. I am reconsidering my future purchase.

Changes to a game not released are...changes really?

Man, remember when you walked into a mall in 1988 and a game was either on the shelf or not?

Might and Magic II came out and I had no idea what the dev process was like and life was good.

Changes to a game not released are…changes really?

Man, remember when you walked into a mall in 1988 and a game was either on the shelf or not?

Might and Magic II came out and I had no idea what the dev process was like and life was good.

Yes, changes in the development are "changes", but I guess since many people have been and are playing the beta Blizzard chooses to be as open as possible beforehand before some site or social media person will "missuse" the information.

Personally I would rather have this system than all the tedious saving and combining runes to gain better levels (if possible) as it was with Diablo 2's gems. Also being rewarded every level with additional abilities is also a nice thing in my book.

haha, nice point. And considering it won't be really big on plot and such, Beta is a good option.

For me those changes sound good.

Apropos of knowing the devs thoughts, I think, especially with this change in game industry about funding, players will influence those games to a different level. Sometimes is good, others is bad, but I think its more good than bad

I sure hope they don't dumb this game down too much. I don't want to be done and bored with it a month after buying it...

Back
Top Bottom