Deus Ex - Seven Things A Sequel Must Have

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Oxm.co.uk has an article about seven things the next Deus Ex must have.

I won't lie; when Deus Ex: The Fall was announced as an iOS only game, I was crushed. I may have overturned a few items on my desk in dismay. Then a few items on Edwin's and Log's desks, which I then quickly tided for fear of a swift reprisal.

However, a Deus Ex: Human Revolution console sequel can't be far off, can it? The Fall got me to thinking what I'd actually want to see in a follow-up, so here are a few potential additions I reckon Eidos Montreal should probably take into consideration.
More information.

You'd think by now companies would realize the whole mobile game explosion has already....exploded. That gravy train came and went, unless you make something cute and casual like Candy Crush. The dream of moving your AAA games into the mobile zone for quick easy microtransaction cash is gone.

So why does this even exist? No Deus Ex fan is holding onto their phone thinking "Gosh, I can't wait to play the next DX game on my Samsung!"

When it was released it was actually one of the top selling IOS games. Even now it's in the top 50 list for multiple game categories. I suspect that it was a pretty big commercial success, especially given that the price tag is much higher then most Igames.

You'd think by now companies would realize the whole mobile game explosion has already….exploded. That gravy train came and went, unless you make something cute and casual like Candy Crush. The dream of moving your AAA games into the mobile zone for quick easy microtransaction cash is gone.

So why does this even exist? No Deus Ex fan is holding onto their phone thinking "Gosh, I can't wait to play the next DX game on my Samsung!"

You'd think by now companies would realize the whole mobile game explosion has already….exploded. That gravy train came and went, unless you make something cute and casual like Candy Crush. The dream of moving your AAA games into the mobile zone for quick easy microtransaction cash is gone.

OK, I know this is your fantasy, but the REALITY is that you are 100% wrong. EA actually made more money (profit) from iOS & Android than from any other single platform! And most of that came from 'free' games.

Deus Ex: The Fall has done very well and actually is a game that will help others make similar games because it was able to justify its existence through sales.

And finally X-COM Enemy Unknown showed 2K that a $20 iPad game could sell well enough to merit production and pricing at that level.

No ... because they are saying 'cool, the iOS version sold well enough to justify the Android port that comes out in September'.

I don't think the mobile market is quite dead yet :)

The thing of it is the very, very low development costs - and the insane power of appealing to the impulse at low prices.

I mean even I - a very jaded and cynical gamer - buy a lot of pointless crap, just because I'm mildly curious and want to check something out.

Below a certain price point - people stop being selective almost entirely. Well, not everyone - but a LOT of people are like that.

It's really a strong market at the moment.

However, something like this can never last - and the market is already excessively flooded with endless shallow crap. It's getting harder and harder to stand out, and eventually even the impulse-crowd will start making real demands when it comes to content and quality.

But I think it will be several years before the market stops being alluring at that level.

There ARE some pretty cool games that are suited for iPads and similar platforms, but the VAST majority of these games are complete jokes. People need to stop praising this platform and start making real demands - or we'll never get anywhere.

This goes for myself as well - and I really need to stop buying games without more scrutiny.

So far, I think one of the best iPad games I've seen is "The Room". That game is perfect for the platform - and it actually works better on it than I think it would on a PC - regardless of the production values.

If you look good enough there are some pretty good games for IOS and Android devices and that is the reason why I have a Galaxy S4 along with some of them being pretty demanding games. It can be hard to sift through all of the crap to find them but they are there and I will be checking out the new Deus Ex game when it comes out to see if it is good.

OK, I know this is your fantasy, but the REALITY is that…

Totally OT:
@Mike, why don't you keep us informed again with your "whole game in your hands" column?

Totally OT:
@Mike, why don't you keep us informed again with your "whole game in your hands" column?

hehe ... thanks for the reminder, I went back and read some of those mammoth things!

At this point I still have DS and PSP, but have skipped the 3DS and PS Vita, though I have Android and iOS phones and tablets (and, obvious, a technology issue ;) ).

My separation from RPGWatch as writer/editor had me gone in general for a while due to old issues. But ultimately I love the site and most of the people here, yet at the same time I am fully involved as an editor at another site, and have responsibilities for games, music (hardware & software), music (CDs), tech hardware & software, and so on. In other words I could never sustain the gameplay or writing required for this sort of endeavor.

Back
Top Bottom