Gothic 3 Should we open GothicWatch ? #2

Should we open GothicWatch ?

• Yes. Include all Gothics, new and old, plus PB´s new game.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • Yes. Include all Gothics but not PB.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Yes. Include Gothic 1-3 and PB´s game. Ignore JoWooD´s Gothic.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Yes. Include only Gothic 1-3.

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Yes. Only post the existing material from GothicDot and the wiki.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • No.

Votes: 12 19.0%

• Total voters

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
This new thread shall reflect the changed situation:

• PB and JoWooD split
  • JoWooD controls the Gothic franchise
  • JoWooD will contract another dev to make G4 for consoles and PC
  • PB is working on a new full price game. Gothic is no longer their business.
  • A G3 add-on is unlikely
  • G4 will hardly be ready before 2009

Furthermore:
  • We have a lot of content from GothicDot
  • Especially the stories, etc.
  • The RPGWatch Gothic 3 wiki is full of spam
  • Removing the wiki is an option
  • We already have a basic Gothic site without graphics
  • Leaving the material on GothicDot has a bitter aftertaste

Last edited:
The first post has been updated and a poll added.

I think that the focus should be Gothic - not PB, Jowood or anyone else associated with the game. If it turns out that the new PB stuff is relevant to that audience then it should organically grow into the site.

I voted keep the stuff that already there, ESPECIALLY what is still on the 'dot. That doesn't mean that I'm against adding more. I am of the mind that the games should come first to see if they even warrant a wiki etc.... I mean, it truly has to be a labor of love to see it through and keep it ship-shape. So I personally don't feel that whether or not to include PB and JW games in the future is a decision that needs to be made right now. *Unless it has something to do with site design??

I just bought x wing collection which has games dating back 14 years. The series still has active fan pages (mods, patches, etc) allthough the last game was released 6 years ago. Gothic is far from dead imho.

Must be worth waiting a few months to see how the whole Jowood/PB fiasco pans out. Who knows? maybe they will be smart enough to realise it is in both their best interest not to fight.

edit: I would think archiving off 1-3 would be alright though.

I'd hate to see all of the great stuff from the Dot wasted, so I vote to bring it over along with the stuff from the wiki. Then wait and see what happens with the franchise.

Incidentally I'm a little confused Gorath. Can you explain to me what the difference is between option #4 and option #5? They both seem to be the same things just worded differently. Gothics 1 - 3 are already out, - we already have oodles of G1 & 2 info at the 'dot, and the wiki is covering G3 here on the watch, right? I must be missing something...

Wait... maybe I just figured it out... Are you implying that new material would continue to be posted on Gothic 3 with option #4, whereas it will be completely left in its current state with option #5?

Voted for "only Gothic 1-3". Would be nice to have an English fanpage going that contained all the information about the series.

I can only see this happen if JW release the Modkit for G3.

I went for option 4. I believe Gothic will not be the same without PB, but we should include anythings that is related to number 3. I mean even if it is an addon made by another publisher. Gothic 4 is a possibility for the fanpage, but I don't think it's already in order to ask ourselve this question yet.

So, we now Know that PB is working on a non-gothic game, this means the gothic series as we know it is over.

My view at least would be to preserve the three games in the easiest workable manageable state so as not to be lost.

I havn't voted as the system is unclear....

5 "no" votes constitute equality to some of the other vote choices, yet out of 23 there are actually 18 "yes" votes.

I agree with Wulf. This game series will always be a classic standard and not saving and displaying the info doesn't make sense for any RPG site when you already have so much compliled.

Many of us contributed at least something, even if it's a small to GothicDot. It seems a shame to wave goodbye to all those years of collecting thoughts and content and memories from contributors and friends, some of whom have stayed and many who've gone. I also hate the idea of leaving something that was so dear to many of us solely in the hands of those carrion eating filth who are digging at the entrails of the Dot.

The Piranha's were always very supportive of RPGDot. I don't see any reason that they shouldn't have a place of honor and respect on a Gothic page. Come what may, PB were still the ones who gave us that world in the first place. Deciding not to include future Gothic games, sight unseen, seems a little premature to me.

I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
I voted for yes, include all Gothics. Until this recent stuff gets sorted out (assuming it ever does), there's no good reason to exclude the next Gothic, even if many of us have already decided we won't be playing it. If and when facts emerge to change that, the site can always be altered.

I think with the most recent developments in mind (deep silver), the chances are a bit smaller that we see another Gothic. I don't think there are so many developpers willing to take the risk of going with Jowood now, after all it's also them who didn't pay PB for the latest patches neither.

Wasn't so sure but on second thoughts PB's new game may probably promote interest if they were as in G1/G2/G3/XX as a whole group.

have voted for first selection.:beer:

after all it's also them who didn't pay PB for the latest patches neither.

How do you know that? The only thing we sort of know is that PB might not have received any royalties from the sales of Gothic III yet (at least that's what they claim) but patch 1.07 to patch 1.12 were surely covered by the last fat milestone payment for the goldmaster (there is a reason that this final payment is by far the largest since it usually includes money for support/patching and money for the developer to stay alive w/o a new contract for a few months).
Anyway, no one from PB has ever complained about not getting paid for any patches.
Finally, it is totally unclear what was the deal with the final patch that was only made in PB's heads. All we know is that the patch (or the funding of it) was not a deal breaker. Michael Rueve of PB said it himself that the patch had nothing to do with the failure of the negotiations with JoWooD.

Back
Top Bottom