Doom 4 announced!

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Hell yes!!!!!! :cm:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18544

Mesquite, Texas-based independent developer id Software has announced that it is currently developing the fourth game in the long-running Doom franchise, a series notable for helping define the first-person shooter genre.

Doom 4 will be developed in-house at id. The company has not released an internally-developed game since 2004's Doom 3; it is currently also working on the Mad Max-esque post-apocalyptic shooter Rage.

Hmmm... I'm somewhat distrustful of the Id lads nowadays. I bet Doom 4 won't have luminous green slime pools, electric blue carpets and candles with colored flames, either :-/.

Why i don't feel excited? id better does something more interesting for Doom 4, or else end up with another so-so shooter.

Oh, just another doom.

I thought they'd do something different this time ?

All this pessimism is annoying.

Doom 3 was a great game if you had a system powerful enough to run it in it's full glory, the problem was that most people didn't back then. Sure it was overhyped, but that's because it was the most hyped PC game in history up to that point, no game could have lived up to those expectations.

Still, the game had tremendous atmosphere and was scary as hell in some places. The expansion pack sucked, as did Quake 4, but neither of those were developed by id.

shooter
rpg
they're almost brothers...

I still have the original Doom and Doom II installed; and have since they were released practically.

I gave away my copy of Shadow the Hedg... Doom 3 after beating it. If I wanted crappy run and gun, I'd play Halo.

I still have the original Doom and Doom II installed; and have since they were released practically.

I gave away my copy of Shadow the Hedg... Doom 3 after beating it. If I wanted crappy run and gun, I'd play Halo.

One thing I missed in Doom 3 was the large amounts of enemies from the first 2 games, you rarely fought more than four or five at a time. Even though I enjoyed Doom 3 and think it's a great game in it's own right, I would never compare it to Doom 1&2.

One of the problems with Doom 3 was that id had to limit the amount of enemies rendered on-screen to make the game playable on the systems back then. Hopefully they can bring back the massive hordes from the first 2 games for Doom 4.

There was nothing like walking into a room and having 20 Imps, 10 Demons, 5 or 6 Cacodemons, 2 Barons of Hell, and an Arch Vile all spotting you at the same time. :devil:

oh JDR, you know i don't want to fight with you. but shooters and rpgs really are the furtherst two genres apart from each other (usually). and i'm not saying you don't like rpgs and i do since, i play more non-rpgs myself than rpg's myself. but shooters aren't usuallly my cup of tea as out of the last 4 i've played in the past six months 2 i put less than 10 bucks each in and played for 2 hours (area 51 blacksite:which deserved its bad reviews, and farcry which put me off as well though it was not a bad game in a technical sense) and then there's alpha prime and jericho (20 each) both worth the money but hardly remarkable games. in the past 6 months i've played 4 rpgs also and loved all of them nwn2,nwn2:mob,nwn1, and the witcher.

i actually enjoyed the doom 3 demo a year ago when i played it, but i actually enjoyed alpha prime more so even though i had already purchased both doom3 and its expansion for way cheap, i was tapped out especially as it falls under mature popcorn gaming, which while better than teen popcorn gaming is not as good as mature_____gaming. my real incentive to play it is for the music that is done by the awesome "womb music " team.

and its rather fitting for a doom discussion
post 666 satan is coming...ooooeeeeeooooo...

There's no doubt that shooters and CRPGs are about as different as vanilla and chocolate, I can't argue with that. The same criticisms do apply to all genres though. I find it ironic that someone would comment about a shooter sequel not being very different from its predecessors when there are so many crpg series that are notorious for that.

What is starting to irk me however is that I started this thread to talk about Doom 4 and everyone is using it to sh*t on Doom 3.

and farcry which put me off as well though it was not a bad game in a technical sense)

Coincidently I just finished a replay of Far Cry this week. I remember enjoying it more back when it was new, it's one of those games that would have been better off being a few levels shorter. It was a great technical achievement in 2004 as the first ever Direct X 9 game, but I agree it leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to gameplay.

Last edited:
.....There was nothing like walking into a room and having 20 Imps, 10 Demons, 5 or 6 Cacodemons, 2 Barons of Hell, and an Arch Vile all spotting you at the same time. :devil:

Yeah that would be exciting, as long as your PC is not on fire when that happens.;) No doubt it's quite a thrill when truckloads of different enemies screaming and coming at you in waves like tsunami, as in Serious Sam. But it did feel getting old sooner and later though...

There was nothing like walking into a room and having 20 Imps, 10 Demons, 5 or 6 Cacodemons, 2 Barons of Hell, and an Arch Vile all spotting you at the same time. :devil:

I once did som modding in the first episodes first level. Behind this door there was originally a small room with only a shotgun an som ammo but I enlarged it like 100 fold and put 100+ mobs there and they all spotted you. My friend was quite suprised to open that door. The joys of cheap fun. :p

I once found on a shareware CD a bizarre mod for Doom 1 (which I could never use, because I never had the full game), of which the read me file said that in it you played someone who had to poke the enemies to death - with a bouquet of flowers in your hand !

Doom 3's the only game that's ever scared me to the point that I didnt want to go find out what was going on in the dark ahead. Made me consider whether I wanted to even keep playing. Later on in the game not so much, but in the early game's levels w/ the encounters between the simple roving zombies - I thought I was going to have a heart attack there a couple times! The flashlight schtick really enhanced it for me, I think. I'd flip it up, the zombie's over there, fire my weapon, flip the light back out, oh shit I didnt kill him he's closer and there's another one fire like crazy that direction now turn around and bolt to put some distance and get my light out...... BLEARGH! ZOMBIE IN MY FACE!!

Yeah, scared the hell out of me quite a few times.

A lot of the scare factor in games is also when and where you play them. I was playing in my place in the dead of night, in total darkness when I was first playing it, and it scared the living hell out of me. Later on, I was showing a friend it over at his house, in total light in the middle of the day, and it wasnt quarter as scary.

As a game, I liked it, no real complaints here. A bit repetitive at times, but hey that's come to be what I expect of shooters, especially one w/ the "run n gun(tm)" gameplay modus operendi of Doom. I'll buy Doom 4

I MUST buy Doom 4 for completeness' sake, but I must not necessarily like it. My system was good enough to play it back then, but it just wasn't... Doom. Quake 4 might have had its shortcomings, but it was definitely Quake, so I liked it a lot better than Doom 3...

Some regard the original Doom as the first major 3D game introduction to the pc, yet i am almost sure it was down to Wolfenstein 3D...or am i wrong?

Back
Top Bottom