Cyberpunk 2077 - Rumor: Playable at E3

That's what I remember as well.

Didn't someone mention that CDPR had said that it wouldn't be tied to the Cyberpunk system, as such, but more just set in that world?

While I would expect a more traditional approach with character generation and what not, there's no reason it couldn't function like Witcher 3 in terms of a set protagonist.

Look at Mass Effect and Shepard, for instance. That works just fine even with character creation, multiple classes and ways to actually play the game.

Last edited:
Mass Effect is alien dating sim, that's why "predefined" Shepard worked.
But I don't think Cyberpunk is gonna be another entry in that genre.

unless they go for cyborg dating sim :)

Mass Effect is alien dating sim, that's why "predefined" Shepard worked.
But I don't think Cyberpunk is gonna be another entry in that genre.

Going by The Witcher 3 being a sorceress dating sim, why are you so sure that Cyberpunk is not going to be just another type of dating sim (even more so when the PnP it is based on is all about personal relationships and not saving the world).

Last edited:
@joxer; - Now why would you want to say something bad about Mass Effect and cause azarhal to become more butthurt than he already is? ;)

huh? I kinda agree with joxer's concept that Mass Effect is a alien dating sim (from a certain point of view)…and from that same point of view CDPR Witcher games focused on hooking up with sorceress (well the second and third game, the first had more variety and one-night stand).

Also, I'm not a "he".

"Focused"? Sure, if you want to consider something you spend about 1% of total game time doing focused. Seems to me it was more of an afterthought compared to other things in the game.

While I would expect a more traditional approach with character generation and what not, there's no reason it couldn't function like Witcher 3 in terms of a set protagonist.

Look at Mass Effect and Shepard, for instance. That works just fine even with character creation, multiple classes and ways to actually play the game.

That would work for me. Generally, the more creation options the better (and preferably a silent main character :)) but that's a rare thing in big budget games for understandable reasons. If you could choose gender, class, and what the character looks like I'd be ok with that. I don't always mind fixed protagonists either - I thought the new Deus Ex was ok, despite the main character being set - but more often than not I don't like them.

Good point. I think the setup in Mass Effect works very well. The role is more or less set, allowing them to write a tighter story, but the player is still able to customize their character.

I've also heard very good things about this approach from a lot of female gamers. It's not uncommon for gender to be an option, but very few main characters feel as good as FemShep.

I don't have a general preference for predefined or highly customizable main characters. Both concepts have good and not so good sides. It just has to be well implemented.
Geralt and Shepard worked very well for me, Adam Jensen (especially in MD) not so much.

I prefer creating my own character in every way - but as long as I get to progress him as I want to, especially in terms of playstyle, it's not a big deal.

Geralt was too limited in terms of his arsenal but I didn't mind his persona much.

Shepard was a little black or white for my tastes - but at least I could pick from a larger variety of skills and ways to play the game.

Should be interesting to see what Cyberpunk is like, but I'm not expecting much in the gameplay department.

I'm not making the same mistake by hyping myself up in that way like I did for Witcher 3.

I do expect a compelling world and a great narrative, though. I would be disappointed if they don't pull that off - but I'm sure they will. That's their strength.

I'm way less hyped than for Witcher 3.
I like magic which CP won't have.
And I like the variation of cities and natural landscape that most tradidtional a lot of RPGs provide. I fear in CP this will be more monotonous.

Thanks guys, this thread has severely cut my expectations for the game. Which is probably a could thing, it's easier to enjoy a game when the expectations are lower.

Could be a nice point to assess where they are at for representation of people.

Back
Top Bottom