Dickie Dick Dickens

P

pibbur who

… was a satirical radio play series written by the German authors Rolf Becker (not to be confused with the actor) and Alexandra Becker. It tells the tale of the fictionary "most dangerous" (and very popular) man in Chicago/USA who in the 20's arose from a simple but very good pickpocket to the ultimate gangster boss.

According to my sources (Wikipedia) the stories were broadcasted in Germany, Sweden and Norway in the 60's and 70's, also to some degree in other parts of the world, but apparently they weren't very popular there. In Norway the series was extremely popular. It's claimed that our streets were empty when the episodes were broadcasted - at least I didn't waste time outside when Dickie was on the radio. In 2001, the series was ranked as the best radio crime series ever in Norway.

These days I routinely go for a walk every morning while listening to radio. At the moment I'm listening to this series. It's extremely funny in my opinion.

So I have two questions:
  1. Does any of our German watchers (and Swedes) remember him?
  2. Has any of the watchers outside Germany and Norway (and Sweden) heard of him?

pibbur who assumes that every Norwegian watcher is familiar with mr Dickens. Or they feel ashamed because they weren't. Hah!

PS. Apparently there were also a couple of novels. Gotta try to find those. I see that audio books are available, but they're in German. While I can read German, it's a bit more difficult with spoken language, as I need time to get the meaning, and the possibility to look up occasional words. DS.

Last edited:
Neither have I, but the next pet that enters our home is definitely getting named Dickie Dick Dickens.

Many episodes can be found on youtube:

I grew up in the 70s, but I don't remember this series.

Al Capone was a German pickpocket? I thought he was Italian?

Back
Top Bottom