What games are you playing now?

Played a bit more of No Man's Sky.

Hmmm, hmmm - hmmm.

Not sure what to think of it. The "story" is pretty thin so far, to be honest - but it's also told in a clever way, because it integrates new gameplay elements into the telling of it.

Meaning, you're somewhat motivated to go on playing.

That said, I must say I really don't like the art style and whimsical approach to everything. Many of the features are really interesting - but I can't stay immersed in a game that looks like a way-too-colorful cartoon with writing that seems written by a script bot.

Probably not going to stick with it, but if you're into space sims and you can deal with the art direction - it might be worth checking out now that it's on sale.

For a small production, I think some of the procedural tech is impressive. Not a fan of how the planets look, so far, and I don't at all like the excessive pop-up of objects as you get near them. But the variety of ships is very impressive, for instance.

Best part about it is how it's getting me ever more excited to try SC 3.0 once it's out - as it's essentially the same kind of experience in terms of gameplay.

It's reminding me of how much I've missed a modern space sim.

Well, I got a bit tired of my Flanders playthrough. I feel like the game is won now and there is not much to do except blob. My Empire is stable and I own most of Scandinavia, most of Western Europe other than the Iberian peninsula and I simply wait for my threat meter to go down so I can attack enemies without them all defending themselves.

I think I would turn this off for next time I play a blobby scenario.

I just started a new game playing as a count in the Arabian Empire. My goal is to become the Caliph and somehow start a secret society for another religion. Goal would be Zoroastrian or Jewish if I can, otherwise, maybe Buddhist and then convert all of Sunni Islam provinces to this religion :)

Will see how it goes. I have become a Duke pretty quickly as apparently I was a count outside of my father's realm who was a Duke himself, so when he died I got his title, although he only had one county.

I am now an Emir, so next step is to become King :)

No Man's Sky, baby. New patch is out!
Was a fan back then, no matther what - now I'm seriously worshiping this game.

I'm enjoying Nuclear Throne (thank you RPGWatch for the key giveaway)! Fish can roll <3

Played a bit more of No Man's Sky.

Hmmm, hmmm - hmmm.

Not sure what to think of it.

Sadly, I cannot go for it right now and argue that you're missing something important. :p
I did finish ToCS and my plan was to NMS next, but forgot AoM is getting released today. Ah well…

AoM?
Don't recognise the acronym...

Agents of Mayhem:

Volition haven't made a good game in ages. This looks like the typical silly shit they've been doing for years.

Volition haven't made a good game in ages. This looks like the typical silly shit they've been doing for years.

joxer loves the silly shit.

I do too.

It *is* the silly shit not pretending to be something else.
That's exactly what makes it a good game in my eyes and the very reason why I've bought it.

I bought No Man's Land on release and the very first thing I noticed was that it ran on my mid-high-end system like feces through a funnel. It turns out that first release had a major caching issue that was promptly fixed in its first patch, I think. Not a promising start but at least it was taken care of very quickly by the developers, who are continuing to patch this game and move it closer and closer to their original vision. A good thing, of course. I really like the unique visual style. Almost surreal but still somewhat grounded in the real universe as a believable space sim-shooter.

Completely immersed in Lord of the Rings Online's new Mordor expansion and accompanying new High Elf race. Simply incredible. Best content since Moria, without a doubt.

Completely immersed in Lord of the Rings Online's new Mordor expansion and accompanying new High Elf race. Simply incredible. Best content since Moria, without a doubt.

This!!!

pibbur who is also having a great time.

My brother had one of his usual meltdowns - so I'm guessing it will be a while before we can play ESO again.

Meaning, I'll have to get serious about another game.

Tried D:OS2 with the latest patch, and was strangely underwhelmed. I see they retained the terrible, terrible sneak animation - which didn't sit well with me, considering their claims of a more mature tone.

No Man's Sky is still in my thoughts - and I see there are mods available to tone down the overly bright colors - and I'm considering trying to get into it. So far, though, it seems more Minecraft than Privateer - which is the wrong distribution of gameplay for my tastes.

The release of Grimoire has inspired me to check out some classic CRPGs or, at least, ones in the same style. I've considered several - but none are really hitting the right note for me.

Any recommendations?

My brother had one of his usual meltdowns - so I'm guessing it will be a while before we can play ESO again.

A little too much sibling rivalry? :)

I'll be interested in hearing more about No Man's Sky if you decide to get into it. I've been thinking of giving that one a try.

A little too much sibling rivalry? :)

If only :)

Nah, I'm not involved with his demons. I try to help him as best I can, but there's nothing anyone can do, it seems.

He's probably the one person in my life that I've tolerated so much endless bullshit from for years and years. I've learned not to take it too personally.

I'll be interested in hearing more about No Man's Sky if you decide to get into it. I've been thinking of giving that one a try.

Well, if it's still on sale - I think it's worth giving it a go.

It clearly has a lot of things going for it - as long as you know its limitations in terms of most of it being procedurally generated.

My issues with the game are less about quality - and more about the art style and "Minecraftian" design.

For whatever reason, they've decided to make the gameplay revolve around crafting stuff - which isn't really why I usually play these space sims.

My brother had one of his usual meltdowns
I can only symphatize with him. Can't imagine staying cool with you around. :p

I recommend exhausting whatever is inside Grimoire to counter codex' blind audience who won't be able to dismiss it with "but you didn't finish the game". I'd do it myself if I had time for every possible game out there.
If you're disgusted by even seeing that game's title, I recommend Regalia. Because you love playing games on hard mode in the first playthrough. Very interested what you'll say about hard mode in this case.

Back
Top Bottom