Games like Technomage and Soulbringer?

RPGfreak

Watcher
So, my childhood is based on 3 games: The settlers 4, Technomage and Soulbringer. I dont know if people here know about games like the settlers 4, but i want to ask you about Technomage and Soulbringer.

Those two games are immensly fun for me. The helicopter 3d pob, the hack n slash approach to combat. The way you need to calculate and lament for every lost HP because there is a limited amount of resources in the game. The naivitee and the dark approach(soulbringer is much darker but still) and the fact that all the characters can talk!
I love it, and i would like to know if there are any games similar to these two gems of my childhood.

And btw im new here so - hello :)

Hello,
hm, you could try The Settlers 6 - but please skip the Settlers 5 !
Or you could try the Settlers 2 Remake.

Technomage ? No, no, no, such an colourful and bright game doesn't exist anymore … ;)

You could try Drakenang 2 instead, but its character system and rule set is a bit complex. But if you like a colourful environment, this is the way to go ! ;) - Except in a few places linked with the plot.

I never played Technomage through, because when I finally had a PC which was able to run it, something else couldn't run it anymore graphics card ? directx ? OS ?) - don't remember it anymore).

If you rather like hack & slay, you could try other games instead … There's a myriad of games featuring this so far. Some of the better ones are Divine Divinity and - imho - Sacred 1.

A completely different thing to try out would be SIMs Medieval. It plays like what I call an "social RPG". It has not much combat at all.

Another different suggestion is the MMORPG called DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online).

I never played Technomage (the only reason why I even remember the game was because every single magazine around here gave it horrendous reviews), but have you checked out Silver? It looks like it might be somewhat similar (and it is also not entirely without similarities to Soulbringer)

OHHH Silver. I am in love with this one, didnt know why i havent mentioned it.

Seriously - why dont they make games with motion capture combat anymore?

Are there plenty of games like soulbringer and silver - meaning games which thier combat system includes different types of combos(parrying, thrust, slash, overhead strike, feint attack.. you know it.)?

These games are also very realistic. In alot of games all you have to do when youre low on hp is to go to menu and zip a potion, while in silver and soulbringer your character is slow to eat food, so you need to go to a shelter to regain hp.
The soulbringer chr also takes time to switch between weapons, and different weapons like pickaxes work better on stone giants and enemies with plated armor, while spear jabs will do nothing to a skeleton, but a mace will decimate him.

Last edited:
Welcome to RPGWatch! :)

Interesting topic you've opened. I have most games mentioned in this thread, but I haven't played any of them. :blush:

Maybe the KotORs would be interesting for you? They're not hack & slay, but they have talking characters and a chaotic camera.

Or what about Nox ? (Diablo clone without the looting aspect.)

Hexplore is another candidate from that time.

Revenant stresses the combo aspect.

Did you have a look at Final Fantasy 7 & 8 ?

Are there plenty of games like soulbringer and silver - meaning games which thier combat system includes different types of combos(parrying, thrust, slash, overhead strike, feint attack.. you know it.)?
While quite different form Silver, the Gothic series gives you a lot of control over how you swing your weapon, and forces you to manually parry. It is a very unforgiving series (the second one in particular), but I quite enjoyed it. The first one is, in my opinion, the best of the lot, though most people seem to think that Gothic 2 is better.

Knights & Merchants is a Settler-alike. To be found on GOG.

What I've seen so far from Lands of Lore 3, I liked it. Although it's buggy. Never played King's Quest 8, but maybe also a candidate.

… but they have […] a chaotic camera.
Hell yeah, I never understood why people complaint about NWN2 and in the same paragraph praised KotOR as one of the best games ever. That camera was something you really could hate. And a sure sign for consolification.

The Cultures series is also a very good Settlers-like game !

You could try getting the "Saga" version of it, but I don't know how it is sold internationally.

Edit : Age Of Wonders 1 just came to my mind … It has some rol-playing elements, too !

Last edited:
Hell yeah, I never understood why people complaint about NWN2 and in the same paragraph praised KotOR as one of the best games ever. That camera was something you really could hate. And a sure sign for consolification.
I never had any (technical) issues with KOTOR, but NWN 2 was just flooded with them. The camera in NWN 2 for an example got stuck in things (like the ceiling), would sometimes find odd angles that it refused to move out of (most likely because it found an insect to get stuck in)and was a royal pain to deal with.
And the camera was not even NWN2's biggest issue. That would be the braindead AI that would run back & forth between two enemies and not swing at them, or the constant rubber banding.

There are also several other issues I could list for NWN2, but didn't want to go further into NWN2's flaws. My biggest issue with KotOR was the camera jumping around everytime I switch characters. And the camera was to close to the characters. For me, in a game that aims to give you at least some tactical control, that's even more annoying than adjusting the camera manually, because I got used to this. Looking for the right angle in a PC 3D games seems quite normal to me.

@topic: What's about Legend of Grimrock? Could that be something you like?

I've never played either but I heard Technomage is like System Shock 2. If you haven't played System Shock 2, I highly recommend that game.

You should try Summoner. The combat had a neat combo chaining mechanism.

Summoner had a nice story and some challenging quests. And a lot very weird ones, too.

Summoner had a lot of hard quests (I remember wasting days to find all parts of some stone statue and a silly random encounter based quest in the desert). But it was a great game definetly. Dunno if Summoner 2 is as good because for whatever reason it never got ported to PC. :(

Avantenor, why ppl felt that xy game is better than NWN2? In my case everything in NWN2 was so annoying that it's one of rare RPGs I got so sick of, so I left it unfinished and never returned to it. IMO NWN2 is one of the worst RPGs that exist.

Summoner was pretty nice, but it had waaaay to much walking for my taste.

Welcome to RPGWatch! :)

Interesting topic you've opened. I have most games mentioned in this thread, but I haven't played any of them. :blush:

Maybe the KotORs would be interesting for you? They're not hack & slay, but they have talking characters and a chaotic camera.

Or what about Nox ? (Diablo clone without the looting aspect.)

Hexplore is another candidate from that time.

Revenant stresses the combo aspect.

Did you have a look at Final Fantasy 7 & 8 ?

I know this thread might be old , I just register here to thank you dude ! i have spent near 3 years looking for a game i played way back when , and searching on Google for games like soul-bringer brought me here to you ! your a bloody legend ! the game in question is " Revenant " .. i playd the demo back in 2000 when it was on one of my pcFormats .. now 3 years ago i tried to remember what it was .. typing revenant in google and checking the images has sparked a little memory back in my brain .. dude i have no way of thanking you that could be worth the expression of how happy i am right now !! cudos to you !! And thax again Gorath you legend !

Back
Top Bottom