question... sorcerers.net

jd

Watchdog
I noticed years ago before I found this rpgwatch. I would see someone from rpgwatch posting in the forums. Who was around first? Rpgwatch or SP? Which was inspired first?

Sorcerers was my "home" before I found RPGwatch too.
However, a thing happened so I was away from any forum and stuff… When I returned to sorcerers it just wasn't the same place. Sure Tal was still there, Blackthorne too, but noone from "old trolls". Everyone I've "argued with". Wildfire disappeared, Septic Yogurt was gone, certain exotic dancer too, etc. Even Platter wasn't to be found anywhere any more, and by that I don't mean just SP.
So I've chosen to not look back and moved here. And no, I didn't use this nick on sorcerer's place.

RPGwatch was not inspired by sorcerers.net. It is a sort of RPGdot spinoff. People who didn't like where RPGdot was going decided to leave RPGdot and make a "proper" site.
It was a good move as RPGwatch survived to this day while RPGdot went decadent, was sold to whomever and soon after that - died.

Also sorcerers wasn't inspired by noone, it was Tal's pet project (IIRC while he was still a student) and he kept it alive even after. The main difference between the two - SP was strictly d&d oriented site. RPGwatch is not exclusive but covers any sort of RPG, even hybrids where RPG elements are not major part of the game.
Another difference was RPGwatch used vBulletin while SP, back then, used some IIRC cgi-bin board engine, maybe I'm wrong but it definetly wasn't php based.
Finally, unlike RPGwatch, SP had it's IRC channel where I used to waste time and hang out with all sorts of "strange people" from SP. Geez, I'm so old. ;)

thanks for the history on this. I like hearing stories from the past. But question. How or who is that posting over in the rpg news section? It a member that has the rpgwatch logo etc.

Dunno. Maybe it's just a linked bot that credits the source site which is RPGwatch.

I see what you mean. Their news section is a carbon copy of RPGwatch, even down to the text that the newsposters write to introduce the story. If they're doing that without permission, that seems pretty rude.

I've created a special RSS feed for Taluntain, which gives him access to all of our news postings. He uses the RSS reader from his Xenforo forums software to extract this feed and convert them into SP news. It took actually more work than I expected to filter our news into something that Xenforo can work with and provides as little as possible headaches, but it gets better as years go by :)

Back
Top Bottom