Dragon Age: Inquisition - Character Creation

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Impressive. :) I'm looking forward to even more head meshes via mods. And freckles. I want freckles.

Just want to confirm... you need Origin garbage to run this game, yeah? If yes, then I'm going to avoid it like a plague.

Just want to confirm… you need Origin garbage to run this game, yeah? If yes, then I'm going to avoid it like a plague.
Why of course you do as every EA game requires Origin now. Though I'm sure there will be ways to get around it if you want to. I can't discuss them on the site though.:)

Did you watch the Twitch Stream, and other videos I posted two days back?

Link - http://www.rpgwatch.com/?nstart=36#28938

I recommend watching them just to see more character creation footage.:)

I haven't yet, and I apologize. :-/ I've been running around like mad, going insane from RL stuff (I think you and Myrthos know the details xD - but "it" was today!), so I've been posting half-baked responses on here, occasionally missing details and feeling like an idiot.

I'm on my way back to those posts now, and thank you for reminding me. :)

Overall, I'm very impressed with that character creation. Hopefully, there are several options that actually look decent, as Mass Effect also had decent character creation, but most of my Shepards end up looking rather similar. That being said, Dragon Age is likely to avoid that problem by having several races, so I won't be playing human every time.

Bah, since when did character creation become synonymous with mere "character appearance?" Show me some stats and stat manipulation then we'll talk. :p

Impressive. :) I'm looking forward to even more head meshes via mods. And freckles. I want freckles.
Worst looking beards i've yet to see… Terrible :disappointed:
Bah, since when did character creation become synonymous with mere "character appearance?" Show me some stats and stat manipulation then we'll talk. :p

Remember Sims 4 spectacular character creation? Seen it?
Just so you know, this DA3 creation is even more spectacular. I suspect it's the same technology just polished and enhanced to it's max.
For example Sims 4 can't have any possible color on eyes, there is about 20 choices and that's it. DA3 however, as you can see it, has no restriction on this and you may mix any color combinations for different eye segments!

Freckles are also not available in Sims 4 by default, mods for that already exist (were made soon after the game got released) so expect a mod for DA3 too. If there is no ingame option in the release version.
Beards? Forget the preview looks, if none are good, again, mods. :D

Stats and stat manipulation is something they can't possibly demonstrate in a way we'd want. For that we need a game under our hands. I mean… They can show some parts of stats, but that's simply not *it*. That candy can't be judged by it's looks, it simply has to be tasted.

Just want to confirm… you need Origin garbage to run this game, yeah? If yes, then I'm going to avoid it like a plague.
DA3 requires onetime registration on Origin and Origin client active in the background while the game is running. While for the registration you have to be online, once registered you can keep Origin client in offline mode.
You'll want to know that many Sims 4 users with not that good internet connection have game performance issues that are solved by putting Origin in offline mode after registration. Why is Origin client choking the game if internet connection is not perfect is currently unknown.

DA3 is currently not available on Steam. Steam doesn't allow certain business model EA practises with recent games (with DLC!) and because of that, sadly, buyers are forced into using Origin DRM.

Freckles are also not available in Sims 4 by default, mods for that already exist (were made soon after the game got released) so expect a mod for DA3 too. If there is no ingame option in the release version.

Freckles are already in. It's under the complexion slider.

Goodie! :)
Not that I care really…

What I do care for?
This rich character creation variery is not seen in any other singleplayer game. There are people who care very much about that and just refuse to play RPGs because, well, they "can't" identify with the protagonist who's too anorexic, doesn't have lightpink hair, has darkblue eyes and whatnot excuses like it's male or female but not a "sexless" alien.

With DA3 there can't be such excuse for not trying a RPG.
Let's just hope the rest of the game is good (fun) enough so those who try DA3, get to love RPGs in general. Singleplayer RPGs, of course. Not MMO grinders.

There are just three excuses IMO valid for not giving this game a chance:
1. It's EA game
2. Origin DRM is mandatory
3. DA2 was not fun

And each one of those reasons is more than enough to avoid the quagmire that is EA. Combined, well, personally I think a person would have to despise their computer to ever install the Origin platform on it.

Why of course you do as every EA game requires Origin now. Though I'm sure there will be ways to get around it if you want to. I can't discuss them on the site though.:)

Way to get around it exactly what I'll most probably go for...

Very impressive amount of options. I don't personally need that much, but I think it's cool for people who love this sort of thing. I know they exist too ;)

If only they would make this kind of effort for the mechanics and progression systems. I haven't really followed this one, but I doubt they've improved their ways that much.

But we'll see :)

While it's nice to have lots of options for the face, it's still just a face.

Check out Dragon's Dogma for truly great character creation, that lets you sculpt almost any type of body. Even a slight adjustment to "stance" gives your character a distinctly different appearance that goes beyond mere looks. (Visual character build even affects gameplay, since smaller characters can move faster but not carry as much loot as larger characters.)

Dragon's Dogma
Wiki: "Dragon's Dogma is an action role-playing video game developed and published by Capcom for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360."

Sorry but in games I play I want PC UI and character created with a mouse.

Sorry but in games I play I want PC UI and character created with a mouse.
I usually prefer PC too. And Dragon's Dogma actually slipped under my radar for quite some time. As you say; an action RPG for consoles. By Capcom to boot. Can't be any good, surely?

Turns out it's a great game. Honestly. It should be on PC, of course. The frame rate on the 360 can be horrible. Supposedly even worse on the PS3. And textures are rather blurry. Plentey of other flaws too, like cringe worthy dialogue and voice acting at times.

But. This game does some things better than any other game. Many praise the combat and mention Dark Souls. Others rave about climbing onto huge enemies and compare it to Monster Hunter. I haven't played Monster Hunter, and I don't think it's all that similar to Dark Souls. Yet, does Dragon's Dogma have the best real time combat in any RPG to date? Probably. And the very versatile skill system is awesome.

However, I don't care all that much about combat. I play mostly for exploration and immersion, and the game delivers in spades. There are moments of tension, excitement and wonder such as I haven't experienced since Ultima Underworld. Setting off into unknown territory really feels like an adventure. And the darkness is dark in this game. You really need the lantern to see where you are going.

Also, the metaphysics of Dragon's Dogma; the way dying and coming back is incorporated into the fiction, is quite clever. Up there with Planescape Torment. Really.

Just get yourself a 360. They are quite sheap now, as is the game.

Back
Top Bottom