Dragon's Dogma Online - First Trailer Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
honestly i feel asia >> rest of the world on all creative cultural levels.
there are some exceptions, but mostly is like the white people dont really care. have no passion for their projects. its just a source of income

i know some programmer who intentionally leaves unfinished product, so he can be paid overtime to finish it. this is who we are ) a world without leadership, without values, a world of pigs

The game doesn't look that bad I just wish it wasn't another F2P game. I really wanted Capcom to port the first Dragon's Dogma with its expansion on the PC instead.

I really wanted Capcom to port the first Dragon's Dogma with its expansion on the PC instead.

I'm a little surprised that they never did to be honest. Capcom has gotten a lot better with their PC ports in recent years in both quantity and quality. I definitely would have purchased a PC version of DD: Dark Arisen.

I'm a little surprised that they never did to be honest. Capcom has gotten a lot better with their PC ports in recent years in both quantity and quality.
I remember reading in an interview two years ago Capcom said it was a possibility, but in the end management must have decided it wasn't worth the cost of porting.

I also recall a petition was stated with the same results.

From what I read this MMO isn't coming to the west. Is that not the case since we are covering it?

My partner told me yesterday morning that Dragon's Dogma was coming to PC. My spirits rose, and my eyes got all wide and sparkly and anime. Then she said it was gonna be a F2P MMO. And it totally trashed my morning. >.>

The trailer looks awesome, though, and it'll still be tempting to play...

I'm a little surprised that they never did to be honest. Capcom has gotten a lot better with their PC ports in recent years in both quantity and quality. I definitely would have purchased a PC version of DD: Dark Arisen.

Is it any good? Do any Watchers recommend it?
I'm always on the lookout for good RPGs for my X360. I saw I can get it pretty cheap, hm.

From what I read this MMO isn't coming to the west. Is that not the case since we are covering it?
It will be released in Japan first, and will likely be released in other areas later. I only covered the game twice, and it does not mean I will continue to cover it.

Is it any good? Do any Watchers recommend it?
I'm always on the lookout for good RPGs for my X360. I saw I can get it pretty cheap, hm.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen? I'd definitely recommend it. :) I almost wrote an editorial about it a few months ago…a sort of plea for a PC port. The character creation is some of the most detailed I've ever seen in an RPG, maybe the most detailed. There is no fast travel, at least from what I've seen, so you're forced to hike places on foot, and travel at night is dark and terrifying, making you instinctively seek out shelter.

It's an incredible ARPG by any standard, and you'll love it as long as you like your RPG's fast and tense. ^.^

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen? I'd definitely recommend it. :) I almost wrote an editorial about it a few months ago…a sort of plea for a PC port. The character creation is some of the most detailed I've ever seen in an RPG, maybe the most detailed. There is no fast travel, at least from what I've seen, so you're forced to hike places on foot, and travel at night is dark and terrifying, making you instinctively seek out shelter.

It's an incredible ARPG by any standard, and you'll love it as long as you like your RPG's fast and tense. ^.^

Warning: incoming adoration! …I consider Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen to be one of the best video games ever made. No joke. The game is unbelievable. After 200 hours of playing, the combat is best ever in a third-person adventure game. Then there's the 500 plus pieces of gear, all with custom appearances.

Then there's the seemingly dull story that turns out to be one of the most interesting, intellectual mindtrips ever. Then there's the optional 60+ hour dungeon with Diablo style random loot. Then there's the infinite NG+ letting you keep replaying for fun and profit. Did I mention the large open-world that is very fun to explore?

Did I mention the open-class system that lets you master everything and play how you want? Did I mention 9-Homing-Magic-Arrows that ricochet off the walls DECIMATING an Ogre in mere seconds (and decimating the framerate!! WORTH IT).

Seriously…this is one of the best games ever, but being so good I know some will fail to appreciate it. Their loss. This game is like the RDR of RPGs, one-of-a-kind with some technical issues that don't even matter.

(PS: once you finish the game once, you get an easy source of Wakestones, always carry at least 10 of them, I mean seriously! Gamespot gave the game a bad review because the reviewer kept dying in the uber-dungeon because he was too foolish to carry Wakestones!) Use your head, people! This is a game that respects you the player to NOT BE DUMB.

My reaction to Capcom's nonsensical MMO-cash-in of Dragon's Dogma? 1) We knew it would happen because they are out of touch jerks. 2) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thanks for the impressions, Aubrielle and Brumbek.

So, what could you best compare it with? Are we talking action-style RPG like Diablo (heavy on loot, light on quests and lore) or rather Gothic (heavy on quests and exploration, excels in atmosphere, kinda twitchy combat)? Or another game maybe? Dark souls?

EDIT:
Does it have an open world, by the way? I've been reading some reviews and that was not entirely clear. And what about NPCs? I've read you have "pawns" (which sound fairly generic and devoid of character), but are there others? Are there cities? You mentioned night, so I assume there's a day and night cycle. Does that affect anything or is that purely cosmetic? Are there NPC schedules?
What about respawns? If those are Diablo 2-style, then that might be a dealbreaker. :-/

Maybe I should start a new thread though as this is not entirely on-topic. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the impressions, Aubrielle and Brumbek.

So, what could you best compare it with? Are we talking action-style RPG like Diablo (heavy on loot, light on quests and lore) or rather Gothic (heavy on quests and exploration, excels in atmosphere, kinda twitchy combat)? Or another game maybe? Dark souls?

It's much closer to something like Gothic or Dark Souls than Diablo. You get companions that travel with you (up to 3), but you don't control them directly. 1 companion is an NPC and the other 2 are pawns that you can summon. Combat-wise you could say it's somewhat similar to the Souls games, but the difficulty level is not as high. And yes, it's open-world.

I'm sure Aubrielle and Brumbek could elaborate better though as I've yet to play very far into it.

Does it have an open world, by the way? Yes it does. I've been reading some reviews and that was not entirely clear. And what about NPCs? I've read you have "pawns" (which sound fairly generic and devoid of character), but are there others? Yes, there are. Are there cities? One proper city. You mentioned night, so I assume there's a day and night cycle. Does that affect anything or is that purely cosmetic? Different and more dangerous creatures come out at night. And it's proper darkness, unlike most games. Are there NPC schedules? Sort of.
What about respawns? If those are Diablo 2-style, then that might be a dealbreaker. :-/ Yes. Enemies do respawn. Mostly.

Here is what I wrote in another thread:

Dragon's Dogma actually slipped under my radar for quite some time. An action RPG for consoles. By Capcom to boot. Can't be any good, surely?

Turns out it's a great game. Honestly. It should be on PC, of course. The frame rate on the 360 can be horrible. Supposedly even worse on the PS3. And textures are rather blurry. Plentey of other flaws too, like cringe worthy dialogue and voice acting at times.

But. This game does some things better than any other game. It has truly great character creation, that lets you sculpt almost any type of body. Even a slight adjustment to "stance" gives your character a distinctly different appearance that goes beyond mere looks. (Visual character build even affects gameplay, since smaller characters can move faster but not carry as much loot as larger characters.)

Many praise the combat and mention Dark Souls. Others rave about climbing onto huge enemies and compare it to Monster Hunter. I haven't played Monster Hunter, and I don't think it's all that similar to Dark Souls. Yet, does Dragon's Dogma have the best real time combat in any RPG to date? Probably. And the very versatile skill system is awesome.

However, I don't care all that much about combat. I play mostly for exploration and immersion, and the game delivers in spades. There are moments of tension, excitement and wonder such as I haven't experienced since Ultima Underworld. Setting off into unknown territory really feels like an adventure. And the darkness is dark in this game. You really need the lantern to see where you are going.

Also, the metaphysics of Dragon's Dogma; the way dying and coming back is incorporated into the fiction, is quite clever. Up there with Planescape Torment. Really.

However, I don't care all that much about combat. I play mostly for exploration and immersion, and the game delivers in spades. There are moments of tension, excitement and wonder such as I haven't experienced since Ultima Underworld. Setting off into unknown territory really feels like an adventure. And the darkness is dark in this game. You really need the lantern to see where you are going.

Done. That pretty much sold it. :)
I too play mostly for immersion, which is why I love the Gothics (1 to 3) so much.

Though, I abhor respawning if it does not make sense; as in, you clear a patch of forest of wolves, you move away so the area is not on screen, immediately come back and find that same wolf pack again. That's a big no no and completely kills the immersion. I am fine if it is logical and minor, like in Gothic (where only a select few minor critters respawn).

And the level scaling? Is there any?

Done. That pretty much sold it. :)
I too play mostly for immersion, which is why I love the Gothics (1 to 3) so much.

Though, I abhor respawning if it does not make sense; as in, you clear a patch of forest of wolves, you move away so the area is not on screen, immediately come back and find that same wolf pack again. That's a big no no and completely kills the immersion. I am fine if it is logical and minor, like in Gothic (where only a select few minor critters respawn).

And the level scaling? Is there any?

So glad we could convince another to try the beauty and genius of Dragon's Dogma.

The respawning only happens when you leave/exit areas so it isn't obnoxious. If I recall you never run into packs you just killed unless you go into a dungeon or city and then immediately come back.

Level scaling? NOPE. The game has set levels for everything, which is great and offers a real sense of progress and challenge. It is cool to finally get high level and crush the stuff that once tormented you. Plus even at max level the final uber-dungeon never becomes easy per-se.

Also, did I mention the game lets you pick up smaller enemies and friendly pawns? Picking up a flailing goblin (who is truly terrified and shrieking) and proceeding to throw him over a cliff never gets old. Warning: it is truly evil to pick up your trusting and innocent pawns and fling them over cliffs…do not do this…but you know you will at least once…I don't blame you.

Alright, you guys sold me on this one. My only point of concern is the respawning, kinda, but the rest sounds good enough to at least give it a shot.
Do all enemies respawn btw, or just a fraction/the minor ones?

The respawning is no worse than in Elder Scrolls games. Just give it a try.

I would also recommend not reading too much about the game beforehand. Some of the systems are not at all apparent, and making a few "wrong" choices or getting in over your head is part of the experience. Dragon's Dogma has lots of quirks, and not knowing what lies ahead makes it all much more enjoyable.

There is even a peculiar system for romance, that you might not even notice. Or that could piss you off big time…

There is even a peculiar system for romance, that you might not even notice. Or that could piss you off big time…

There's a romance system…?

How did I miss-

200_s.gif

Back
Top Bottom