What are you reading?

I've just finished Vita Nostra. One of those anti-Harry Potter books. Feel a bit strange after reading. Some moments in the book were really disgusting and I'm not sure I would able to stand all the things the characters have stood.
Also not satisfied with the ending. But for those who like fantasy not-fairy tails, the book may be ok.

Last night I polished off Fatal Revenant, the eighth book in the Covenant series, or the second novel in the last collection, if you prefer. These last four books I've not read nearly as often as I have the prior six, so I still find myself analyzing each thoroughly as I complete them. Fatal Revenant does some things with the history of the Land that I both applaud and cringe at, and really messes with the balance of some things that were established in the earlier novels. While doing all of that, the book also introduces some new elements into the mix, which for me only adds to the chaos in some ways.

Later today I'll likely begin the ninth book, Against All Things Ending. This novel and the following one I've only ever read one time each, due to how recent they were written.

I completed Against All Things Ending earlier today, and that was a tough read. I have problems when novels border on being almost purely metaphysical, and while that element is in all the Covenant books, I find it most prominent in the one I just finished. While I have trouble balancing it all out, I do appreciate how important perception is, and what a huge role it can play in challenging situations. Next up will be book ten, the final book in the entire series.

Just finished a Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I knew the plot from watching the film years ago. It's interestingly written and quite short.

I've now started Tombland by CJ Sampson, which is the new Shardlake novel about a lawyer in Tudor times who solves murders etc. I've thoroughly enjoyed the whole series (this is book seven I think) and this one is shaping up to be pretty gripping.

After hearing about the drama of @skavenhorde;, I felt the urge to read Charles Bukowski's brilliant Post Office. You should do the same.

I finished the Last Dark yesterday, the final book in the Covenant series. I'd only ever read this one once before, the day it was released, and for me it's a mixed bag. The negative: well, it is the end. I doubt there will ever be another trip to this world, and that's a shame. The positive: everything else. Donaldson does a good job of thoroughly wrapping up the story, basically leaving not much unexplained. Of course we don't know exactly if everything set up at the end will work out well, but that's where hope kicks in.

I have just finished ”The Priory of the Orange Tree” by Samantha Shannon. I found it excellent, excellent works building, believable character development and motives, right writing, etc. Etc. Enjoy!

I finished rereading a book from a series that I never fully completed, Steelheart, book one of the Reckoners. It's a bit simplistic, basically the worse case scenario depiction of what might happen if abilities sprang up on this planet and most of the recipients turned out to be hostiles. I don't recall now why I didn't continue with the series, but book two will be next on my list, Firefight.

Roadside Picknick. Really great, i'm surprised its so similar to the game (Stalker) and how veeery loosely based the movie is. I guess i was preparing for something way less action-ey and more philosophical.. Gotta say i like the game(s) even more now, they totally get the atmosphere right from the book.

Sometimes it makes me think of William Gibson, the language and writing, wouldn't be surprised if this book was an inspiration to him. It's very macho/tough guy but just like Gibson it actually never gets that cheesy because its also very well written, sometimes bordering to poetic.

(listening the audiobook btw so not reading.. the dude doing the voice is absolutely stellar, a great voice actor.. This can really help books making them superior to reading, or vice versa if the one reading is awful.)

Yesterday I completed book two of the Reckoner's series, Firefight. It's pretty good, if you like a series with not a lot of back round and non-stop action, this one pretty much fits the bill. Compared to several other series by Sanderson it's a bit light on any back story, but still a good look at a "what if" society. Personally, I'd love a bit more information on all the events that led up to the world being in this state, and the major players involved. Up next, book three in the series, Calamity. Maybe this one will have more historical footnotes!

Dr Sleep by Stephen King. It's the sequel to the Shining. I had low expectations but it's actually quite enjoyable so far. Unpredictable and interesting characters.

I agree, Dr. Sleep turned out better than I ever thought a sequel of that first story would. Keep it in novel form though, I believe it would be an ugly mess were anyone to try to put it in film or telly.

I finished off Calamity yesterday, and while it was a satisfying series, the last book wasn't what I expected. I've noticed this issue with Sanderson before, he has a great premise early in the books/series, but then at the conclusion it all seems rather weak, watered down in some ways. At the end, it almost seems like the last novel ends in a place where another new series could begin, but I don't believe that will actually happen.

Dr Sleep by Stephen King. It's the sequel to the Shining. I had low expectations but it's actually quite enjoyable so far. Unpredictable and interesting characters.

Not as good as the Shining IMHO, but still an enjoyable and interesting read.

I was reading my very first (A)D&D Eberron novel, the middle book of the "Dreaming Dark" trilogy, because - curuiously - it is the only one of that series available for a normal price.
It's quite a good book, in my opinion, but has for my taste a bit too much "constant adventure" in it, and too little silent passages.

Too bad the first and the second book are so much expensive these days.

And I still wish there would be more novels starring Stormreach.

Not as good as the Shining IMHO, but still an enjoyable and interesting read.
Yeah, I read the Shining twenty years ago and thought it was fantastic. It must have left a strong impression as well - I'm picking up on quite a few Shining references that I'd forgotten about but were clearly still lodged in my memory somewhere! Dr Sleep isn't in that league, but it's still a good read.

When I did read Dr. Sleep, I also re-read the Shining right before plunging into the new book. In the future when I re-read these books, I always do it in that fashion, as they're both great novels.

I picked up a boxed Kindle set of books a few months ago for like a buck, titled the Wings of War. It basically depicts a lizard-type humanoid who starts off in servitude as a child, gets beaten and left for dead, found later by kinder humans and raised within the tribe. I found the premise intriguing and while there's a lot of mediocre exposition, some of the battle sequences are well detailed and watching the protagonist grapple with some serious decisions along the way will keep you involved. I'm not sure I'd ever reread it, but for the price it certainly was worth it and kept me entertained.

Back
Top Bottom