RIP Kirk Douglas... at 103.

lackblogger

SasqWatch
Yes, it turns out the legend Kirk Douglas was still very much alive until a day ago, at which point he finally checked out.

Having not appeared in the cinemas since 2004 you'd be forgiven for assuming he'd already passed, though he did pop up in a random TV movie in 2008. Maybe he needed to fund a particularly expensive stair lift.

One of Hollywood's greatest figures and one for whom the world is indeed a worse place for his passing, even though he kinda passed ages ago.

Most famously he was the original Spartacus (1960) but he also had many other career defining roles and appears in the alumni of the works of all the great and good of his era.

My picks from his works would be:

Ace in the Hole (1951)
Gunfight at the OK Corral (1957)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Spartacus (1960)
The Heroes of Telemark (1965)

And I haven't even seen much of his stuff, it's just whenever he's in a film he elevates it. Even Saturn 3 (1980).

Father of Michael Douglas, another legend who I also find I can always watch, even in poorer films.

I was honestly surprised over the last couple of years when he popped up at things supporting Michael ...

And while Michael Douglas is definitely more of ‘my generation’, having been watching him nearly continuously since Streets of San Francisco and China Syndrome ... there was that incredible power of presence that Kirk projected.

RIP, you have earned it.

And I haven't even seen much of his stuff
I believe I saw everything he was involved with on big screen.
And I loved every single role he presented, even ones that were poorly written. He knew how to shuffle the talent and I dare to say some sort of magical charm only Hollywood legends had.

RIP man with a horn

Hey, Mr Keith Richards, here's the proof that you are still young, so keep on rockin'!
/happysad

Paths of Glory and Spartacus were the two of his films that I enjoyed the most, and we just don't have these kinds of actors anymore. RIP, we shall not see his like again.

I will always remember him in Stanley Kubrick's anti-war-film Paths of Glory.

At 100 his wife of 65 years is still alive and kicking. Also there is an interview where he talks about his father being hands off with the kids and he wanted to be a family man… very interesting read…

Far more important stuff that he should be remembered for than some movie.

My top 3:
Heroes of Telemark
The Vikings
Spartacus
Another legend gone, that I grew up watching. RIP Kirk.

At 100 his wife of 65 years is still alive and kicking. Also there is an interview where he talks about his father being hands off with the kids and he wanted to be a family man… very interesting read…

Far more important stuff that he should be remembered for than some movie.

You are quite welcome to read about the marital objectives of the all 7 billion people on this planet, what makes this story unique to Douglas? Do you only enjoy reading about famous affairs of the heart?

I could link you a few thousand stories from less well known people if you like. All of them are far more important than 'some movie'… to the people involved :D

And do you only wish to promote movie stars and similar as worth remembering ?

You are quite welcome to read about the marital objectives of the all 7 billion people on this planet, what makes this story unique to Douglas? Do you only enjoy reading about famous affairs of the heart?

I could link you a few thousand stories from less well known people if you like. All of them are far more important than 'some movie'… to the people involved :D

And do you only wish to promote movie stars and similar as worth remembering ?

I'm a fan of movies, so, duh, they have a high priority for me, yes. I'd also be happy to make threads every time a family member or friend dies, but I suspect the communal interest here would be less 'communal' and I have no interest in reading 23 "ah bless, my thoughts are with you" posts and nothing more every time ;)

I'm a fan of movies, so, duh, they have a high priority for me, yes. I'd also be happy to make threads every time a family member or friend dies, but I suspect the communal interest here would be less 'communal' and I have no interest in reading 23 "ah bless, my thoughts are with you" posts and nothing more every time ;)

giphy.gif

Apt picture for my post. The last family funeral I went to was a Great Aunt who chose to be cremated and also chose to have Come On Baby Light My Fire be played as she entered the flame pit. Even better, she chose an instrumental version so that some people would have to wonder why other people were Laughing At A Funeral...

Anyone sing along? I'm afraid I might have...

May he rest in peace.

He got a reference in one of the later Asterix comics.

Back
Top Bottom