Things you don't need to know… - Page 118 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Things you don't need to know…

Default Things you don't need to know…

June 24th, 2021, 10:44
Redneck Rave goes horribly wrong.

Party on, Kentucky!

Maximum points for actual impalement.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela
Super Moderator

#2341

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,731
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

June 24th, 2021, 17:50
I've been to Kentucky, this doesn't surprise me in the least. Yet still….ouch!
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#2342

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 13,327
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

Default 

June 29th, 2021, 19:50
A book you might prefer not to get. Or maybe you really would like it:

MATLAB Programming: Mathematical Problem Solutions (De Gruyter STEM)

From the presentation at Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/MATLAB-Progra…l-text&sr=1-18) this book "presents fundamentals in MATLAB programming, including data and statement structures, control structures, function writing and bugging in MATLAB programming"

an incarnation of pibbur who really would like to know who (or what companies) bought this one (or similar books in general programming).
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher
pibbuR is offline

pibbuR

pibbuR's Avatar
Feeling … lonely?

#2343

Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

June 29th, 2021, 20:06
Originally Posted by a pibbur View Post
A book you might prefer not to get. Or maybe you really would like it:

MATLAB Programming: Mathematical Problem Solutions (De Gruyter STEM)

From the presentation at Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/MATLAB-Progra…l-text&sr=1-18) this book "presents fundamentals in MATLAB programming, including data and statement structures, control structures, function writing and bugging in MATLAB programming"

an incarnation of pibbur who really would like to know who (or what companies) bought this one (or similar books in general programming).
Normal people would buy a book, which helps debugging. But Chuck Norris needs this book, because he can only make bug free programs. So he needs extra advice how to make a normal program (with bugs).

Also normal people wouldn't buy books anyways, since you can find everything about programming in the internet.
bkrueger is offline

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

#2344

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

June 29th, 2021, 21:25
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
Normal people would buy a book, which helps debugging. But Chuck Norris needs this book, because he can only make bug free programs. So he needs extra advice how to make a normal program (with bugs).
Chuck Norris went to a feminist convention and came back with his shirt ironed and a sandwich.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#2345

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,787
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

June 29th, 2021, 21:55
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Don' t order a tuna sandwich at Subway because it's not tuna.
If I understood things correctly, then the tuna is already an endangered species.


Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Redneck Rave goes horribly wrong.

Party on, Kentucky!

Maximum points for actual impalement.
"Mud, music & mayhem" ?
Yes, definitively mayhem.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#2346

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 20,178
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

July 5th, 2021, 14:20
It's that time of the year. Seagulls have got babies. And they're pissed.

Anyone, willingly or not, approaching their nests or wherever their yet non-flying offspring spend their days are regarded as predator-wannabes and therefore attacked with poo and occasionalyl sharp beaks. Without mercy. Problem is, these days they prefer to lay their eggs in parking lots, bus stops, railway stations, any place also frequented by humans (possibly also other animals).

Ornithologists claim they're not dangerlous. Hah! Today I read in the newsaper about this fellow Bergen citizen who suffered a fractured hand after being attacked. Admittedly that was because he lost his balance and fell off his electric scooter running at 20khp, when trying to defend himself by lifting his arms previously connected to the handle of said scooter, and therefore not directly a result of the attack, but that's beside the point. Hah!

We have to suffer this for the next 3 weeks!!!!

An angry seagull:


an incarnation of pibbur who recommends bringing an umbrella, which anyhow is usually recommended when living in a rainy city like Bergen@Norway.

PS. Bergen citizen attacked by seagulls (observe bandages on left arm): DS.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher
pibbuR is offline

pibbuR

pibbuR's Avatar
Feeling … lonely?

#2347

Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default 

July 5th, 2021, 16:57
Originally Posted by a pibbur View Post
It's that time of the year. Seagulls have got babies. And they're pissed.

Anyone, willingly or not, approaching their nests or wherever their yet non-flying offspring spend their days are regarded as predator-wannabes and therefore attacked with poo and occasionalyl sharp beaks. Without mercy. Problem is, these days they prefer to lay their eggs in parking lots, bus stops, railway stations, any place also frequented by humans (possibly also other animals).

Ornithologists claim they're not dangerlous. Hah! Today I read in the newsaper about this fellow Bergen citizen who suffered a fractured hand after being attacked. Admittedly that was because he lost his balance and fell off his electric scooter running at 20khp, when trying to defend himself by lifting his arms previously connected to the handle of said scooter, and therefore not directly a result of the attack, but that's beside the point. Hah!

We have to suffer this for the next 3 weeks!!!!

An angry seagull:


an incarnation of pibbur who recommends bringing an umbrella, which anyhow is usually recommended when living in a rainy city like Bergen@Norway.

PS. Bergen citizen attacked by seagulls (observe bandages on left arm): DS.
Given the rain, only one umbrella?? That would be like being from Oz and only having one hat to keep the sun off!
Hurls is offline

Hurls

Hurls's Avatar
Non-twitch gamer

#2348

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

July 5th, 2021, 17:29
Although I'm a good ten minutes from the ocean proper, the intercoastal is only two blocks from my home, so we get a fair number of aquatic fowl stopping by to check out the power lines and yards. They tend to frighten off the smaller birds.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#2349

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 13,327
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

Default 

July 5th, 2021, 17:40
Originally Posted by Hurls View Post
Given the rain, only one umbrella?? That would be like being from Oz and only having one hat to keep the sun off!
I have a large umbrella. Also certified for hurricanes and cyclones. Not sure about tornados (the ones we have here are pathetic and according to horror movies not representative).

an incarnation of pibbur who may have exaggerated the wind resistance properties of the object mentioned.

PS. Actually, I have several umbrellas, mostly bought because I thought I'd lost the main one, only to find out (after buying the replacement) that I hadn't lost it after all. Fortunately, when buying replacement umbrellas I tend to buy cheap ones, since I'm apparently, at that time, in an umbrella-losing phase of my life. DS.

PPS. See above. The clue is to only buy umbrellas with sufficiently low quality, so they break down approximately at the same time as you lose them. Can sometimes be hard, requires a lot of experience (which I have). DS.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher
pibbuR is offline

pibbuR

pibbuR's Avatar
Feeling … lonely?

#2350

Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 5th, 2021, 18:35
I guess that's how Mr. Alfred Hitchcock got his ideas from … - from angry seagulls ?
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#2351

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 20,178
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 12th, 2021, 14:37
I like bicycling as a sport. So, I'm having a great time now watching Tour de France.

However, there is also track cycling, which is characterised by a multitude of … interesting (weird) events, one of them being the Longest Lap event, part of the Revolution series:

loading…


an incarnation of pibbur who can calmly balance longer than these athletes do (on his exercise bike).
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher
pibbuR is offline

pibbuR

pibbuR's Avatar
Feeling … lonely?

#2352

Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 12th, 2021, 20:17
Death Valley National Park, on the border of California and Nevada, reached a temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit on Friday. That's just 4 degrees off the hottest temperature ever recorded anywhere in the world.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/death-v…d-130-degrees/
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#2353

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,787
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2021, 20:45
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Death Valley National Park, on the border of California and Nevada, reached a temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit on Friday. That's just 4 degrees off the hottest temperature ever recorded anywhere in the world.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/death-v…d-130-degrees/
I live in Portland, Oregon, aka the place that reached 116 or so a few weeks back. At the time I was thinking "there's a reason I don't live in freaking Death Valley."

Fortunately it's been between around 80-90 degrees since so not horrific, but these increasing highs are worrisome.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

#2354

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,262
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2021, 21:08
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I live in Portland, Oregon, aka the place that reached 116 or so a few weeks back. At the time I was thinking "there's a reason I don't live in freaking Death Valley."

Fortunately it's been between around 80-90 degrees since so not horrific, but these increasing highs are worrisome.
Yeah, I used to think Florida was hot, but it's nothing compared to the Southwest. The humidity makes it seem hotter than it actually is, and people constantly complain about it, but I'll take 85-90 degrees plus humidity over 110+ degrees any day.

It's crazy that it actually got that hot in Oregon, but at least you guys have cool nights there. It's often still in the 80s here after midnight.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#2355

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,787
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2021, 21:09
Honestly, so far this summer has been fairly pleasant in my part of Florida, so long as you don't mind the unexpected shower or two. And, you know, possible hurricanes every now and then. I'm able to spend eight to ten hours a day easily on the porch, reading and enjoying some tunes. The thought of ever enduring temperatures in the negative twenty to forty range again is enough to give me a mental shudder.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#2356

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Hill, FL.
Posts: 13,327
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

Default 

July 12th, 2021, 23:41
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Death Valley National Park, on the border of California and Nevada, reached a temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit on Friday. That's just 4 degrees off the hottest temperature ever recorded anywhere in the world.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/death-v…d-130-degrees/
And the Badwater 135 ultramarathon starts on the 19th this month in Death Valley.

An incarnation of pibbur who won't participate this year.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher
pibbuR is offline

pibbuR

pibbuR's Avatar
Feeling … lonely?

#2357

Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

July 13th, 2021, 13:37
This one may be of special interest to ozzies. So you might ask, why on earth do I post it?

BBC 2 opened AFAIK officially on the 20th of April 1964. Unfortunately, 35 minutes before liftoff, the channel was hit by a power failure, which to some degree affected the event. Now, before launch "the channel was represented by two kangaroo mascots, called Hullabaloo and Custard. Hullabaloo, a mother, represented BBC1, while Custard, her joey, represented the new BBC2." (Wikipedia). So, they came up with the idea to have a genetically genuine and living specimen in the studio. According to my sources said kangaroo was in a lift when power disappeared, and went berserk according to witnessess who probably was in the lift as well (and survived, obviously).

Kangaroo going berserk:


an incarnation of pibbur who from now on will refuse to enter lifts occupied by living marsupials. And who wonders if roos are more dangerous than gulls.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher
Last edited by pibbuR; July 13th, 2021 at 15:49.
pibbuR is offline

pibbuR

pibbuR's Avatar
Feeling … lonely?

#2358

Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default 

July 13th, 2021, 14:47
If marsupials are bad what about monotremes, even more ‘primitive’ and males from one type have venomous spurs.
Last edited by Hurls; July 14th, 2021 at 00:53.
Hurls is offline

Hurls

Hurls's Avatar
Non-twitch gamer

#2359

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

July 13th, 2021, 15:45
Originally Posted by Hurls View Post
If marsupials are bad what monotremes, even more ‘primitive’ and makes from one type have venomous spurs.
EDIT: an incarnation of pibbur who from now on will refuse to enter lifts occupied by living marsupials and monotremes and spiders and salwater crocs and … actually nearly all ozzie wildlife (humans excluded). And who wonders if roos are more dangerous than gulls.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher
pibbuR is offline

pibbuR

pibbuR's Avatar
Feeling … lonely?

#2360

Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Things you don't need to know…
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:10.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch