Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
The Ascent Review Impressions: Is It Worth It?

The Ascent Review Impressions: Is It Worth It? A Cyberpunk World Worth Exploring (Cyberpunk ARPG) In this The Ascent Review Impressions, we’ll take a deep dive into the new Action-shooter RPG, which is set in a dystopian cyberpunk world. The game is Neon Giant's debut into the RPG scene and it' available on PC via Steam and Xbox Game Pass, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S. Is The Ascent worth checking out? Should you immediately buy it on the day of its release? We’ll talk about all of these and much more so watch on to find out!
Top 5 NEW RPGs of AUGUST 2021

In this series, we highlight the Top 5 RPGs for the upcoming month. In this edition, we're going to take a look at each of the titles, talk a little about each, and then explain why we think they deserve to be on the list. So join me now and find a mixture of some hidden gems and old favorites given a shiny new coat of paint.

Achilles: Legends Untold a New isometric Souls-Like RPG - Steam

Play as Achilles, the Greek warrior and hero of the Trojan War, who is recruited by Hades to confront the god of war Ares on his behalf. Face hordes of mythical beasts, mercenaries and demigods roaming the Earth. Travel the ancient world far and wide in the upcoming action RPG from Polish studio Dark Point Games, inspired by action RPGs like Dark Souls and Diablo. Are you ready for this adventure?
Corven - Path of Redemption - June 2021
I hope everyone from the US had a great 4th of July weekend! We were on vacation for a few days and it was nice getting away from everything for a little bit.

I worked almost exclusively on working out dialogues and doing rough implementations of quests with placeholders. This will go on for a while until I have to do something else to keep myself sane.

2 sentences, but a LOT of work, like everything. Don't be surprised when this is next months update as well.

Not really anything big yet and doesn't warrant a news post or an individual thread, so please excuse me if I hijack your news thread for that couch. ^^

Jeff Vogel / Spiderweb just tweeted that he is shooting for a new kickstarter video, so let's see what is going to happen there.
https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/1420484825866072064

It's Queens Wish 2 as he tweeted that he was going to launch a kickstarter campaign for that game in summer. That was announced back in April though he's late.:)

Last edited:
It just occurred to me that no-one does an RPG with a protagonist in a wheelchair. All people want challenges ! But apparingly not this kind of challenge …
(" … And that's how I tried to get my wheelchair up in the staircase … ")

The wheelchair protagonist is a good question, Alrik. As for me, I've been wondering the past thirty years why we don't see more court room type computer games. They seem rather popular for films and the telly, I think they could find a niche audience in the computer realm as well. We could even have a two-for, make the first game a computer version of Ironside.

The wheelchair protagonist is a good question, Alrik. As for me, I've been wondering the past thirty years why we don't see more court room type computer games. They seem rather popular for films and the telly, I think they could find a niche audience in the computer realm as well. We could even have a two-for, make the first game a computer version of Ironside.

The concept is appealing :)

Without knowing much about the practicalities except what we see in movies (and I suppose it's not the same in the US than in Europe, Asia or elsewhere), it would surely be complex. Maybe it could have a system similar to the deduction system they designed in Sherlock Holmes games. It could really be something!

A JPRG like Persona would be a great opportunity to have a wheelchair bound protagonist. It wouldn't fit in a lot of RPGs for obvious reasons (fantasy setting)

I think this idea has legs! I'd certainly play Wheelchair Detective. How about an Old Dark House mystery where you are staying in a remote location and someone is bumping off the guests one by one? It's a cliche, but not done in a sp game.

A JPRG like Persona would be a great opportunity to have a wheelchair bound protagonist. It wouldn't fit in a lot of RPGs for obvious reasons (fantasy setting)

That makes sense to me. There are many styles of game where it would be easy to include a wheelchair-user as a character. I also think it's OK to have a more realistic style of fantasy, where dungeons are not going to be wheelchair-friendly, and a more lore-compatible solution would be needed for a character with an impairment.

That makes sense to me. There are many styles of game where it would be easy to include a wheelchair-user as a character. I also think it's OK to have a more realistic style of fantasy, where dungeons are not going to be wheelchair-friendly, and a more lore-compatible solution would be needed for a character with an impairment.
Well, the answer is magic:
Back in 2020, game designer and disability advocate Sara Thompson published a home-brew set of rules introducing the concept of the "Combat Wheelchair" to Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition – a reinforced, light-weight wheelchair with mild magical qualities designed to empower disabled heroes to go on wild adventures alongside their companions.
That's from the link @Pladio; posted above.
It just needs to be enchanted with some form of a permanent Levitate spell that e.g. "makes it possible for the wheelchair to drive even on rough terrain or up and down regular stairs. As a rule of thumb it can move wherever a humanoid creature can move without requiring a skill check (like climb)".

Well, the answer is magic:

That's from the link @Pladio; posted above.
It just needs to be enchanted with some form of a permanent Levitate spell that e.g. "makes it possible for the wheelchair to drive even on rough terrain or up and down regular stairs. As a rule of thumb it can move wherever a humanoid creature can move without requiring a skill check (like climb)".

Yes, I read that, and that's why I said it makes sense in certain styles of games. Certainly in D&D, where we have soul-powered demon hotrods, there seems no good reason not to include levitating wheelchairs if people want them. What I'm saying is that I think there are other styles of game that are low-fantasy, or non-magic, where I think it would become implausible. So, my take is just let's include those options where there's no reason not to, but not start criticising something like Kingdom Come for not having a wheelchair option.

The Ascent = Thank you from the Devs

33a8f4b874580d9dd8ef1944b906131b2e064953.jpg

Encased Release Date Revealed - Steam
Dear subscribers! Once again, the latest issue of the post-apocalyptic CRONUS Weekly is on your screens. Can anyone hear us?

Today we want to talk about what was added to our release build after the fifth content patch.

Encased will leave Early Access on September 7!

Yes, you heard us right. The full Encased release date is September 7th. Mark the day on your calendars and get ready to explore the fully opened Dome in just over a month. Dozens of new quests, new story chapters, multiple endings, weapons, artifacts, and that's just the tip of the content iceberg, that's awaiting you.

To brighten up your waiting time, we will continue to publish all the most interesting things from the Encased development.
Darkest Dungeon II The Runaway Character Reveal and More - Game Informer
The world is at its end. Wild accelerationist cults set fire to the cities. Pastoral baronies become insatiable hungering mouths upon mouths. Only your ragtag band of guilt-ridden adventurers can kindle a glimmer of hope to stop the ancient, encroaching evil. With a host of new terrors to overcome, a massive shift to a run-based roguelike structure, and a bold new character, the cosmic aberrations of Darkest Dungeon are poised to serve up fresh challenges and horrors with this scintillating sequel from Red Hook Studios.
Knights of the Chalice II New Features & Expands Tutorial - Kickstarter
Hello everyone! Version 1.16 of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos is now available for download here for both Windows and macOS. The main additions to the game are the new shortcut system for spells and special abilities, feat suggestions, improved delay combat action, improved weapon enchanting, improved image search in the Module Editor, and extra content in the tutorial adventure.

The tutorial now ends after solving the door puzzle with triangles. Normally, I should be able to finish work on the tutorial in August. After that, I will focus on completing the village content and fixing any remaining bugs so that the game can finally be ready for its official release!

Weird West Preview Roundup

Rock Paper Shotgun
If Weird West can carry some of that potency, as I've already seen it do, without becoming quite as brutally distasteful on its descent into horror, I think it could be something really special. Even - and indeed especially - if I choose to play it as a game about carrying dead wolves about the place.
PCGamesN
It's too early to tell just how far players will be able to push Weird West's world and mechanics, but from an early glimpse I'm excited to start messing around in one of its outposts.
ScreenRant
WolfEye's entire focus with Weird West is to create a sandbox where players can find new ways to express themselves as they explore the frontier. Similar to how previous games the studio's staff has worked on saw players coming up with new ways to do things the developers didn't even realize would, so too does Weird West give players that opportunity while telling an intriguing western mystery that aims to subvert the cliches of the genre.
AusGamers
“Surprisingly, [Weird West] might be our biggest game. Our hardest game to make for sure. There’s just so much content, there’s so [many things to] interact with and so there are so many ways the game can break… it’s been really, really scary.

“[But] to me there’s no trade off in the sense that I don’t feel like we’ve [gone] smaller, we’ve actually been going bigger. You know, it doesn’t take a month and a half to make a character, in this case it’s all done by the same person and it takes a week. That’s the main difference, really. And so that allows us to be more flexible, take more risks, try more things and iterate and change our minds and it’s actually more fun, frankly.”

Yeah, I'm surprised there were no reactions here, the gameplay they've shown was quite amazing :) It's clear that even if the whole team is not there, they haven't lost their touch!

For me at least, their choice of using an isometric view makes it a lot less interesting. They're calling it an Immersive sim, but I just don't see it.

For me at least, their choice of using an isometric view makes it a lot less interesting. They're calling it an Immersive sim, but I just don't see it.
Immersive with isometric view may be a stretch. There's a lot of interaction with the environment, so the sim part is definitely true.

I share your reservation with the iso view, we'll see how it turns out. But I'm more skeptical about the controls than the game being less interesting. They said this choice of view allowed them to show clues that would likely be missed by the player in 1st or 3rd view, and to give a more tactical feeling, as you can spot things earlier and get an overview of the area. But yeah, it's less immersive, I suppose that's your concern?

That's part of it, yeah. An immersive sim really only works in first-person for me. Other things I don't care for are the graphical style (cel-shading) and how action-oriented it seems to be.

Back
Top Bottom