Geneforge 1 - Mutagen - Review @ Nookrium

Enjoying this. What can I really say? It's remastered Geneforge. It's a Spiderweb game. It's very relaxing and fun and doesn't really offer any shockers. It's turn-based and plays well, which is sometimes all I ask for these days.

Yeah I grabbed this one a couple of days ago, pretty sure it will be next on my playing agenda after I complete Eredia: Diary of Heroes, which has turned out to be a much deeper game than I first expected. One thing I love about the Spiderweb products, they never fail to entertain, be they new or old.

I'm not a fan of Spiderweb because of the cumbersome interface and slow combat. But this run on every computer so i had to play while off site. The best thing is that gf5 cheats work here too.

Huh, the interface is simplistic to use and intuitive for me, and the slow combat is one of the reasons I *like* Spiderweb games. Different strokes, I guess. :D

Exactly. I don't need shiny graphics with empty quality gaming, give me a solid story with decent mechanics and that will satisfy me most every time. Spiderweb never fails in those measures!!

Yeah I grabbed this one a couple of days ago, pretty sure it will be next on my playing agenda after I complete Eredia: Diary of Heroes, which has turned out to be a much deeper game than I first expected. One thing I love about the Spiderweb products, they never fail to entertain, be they new or old.

Would you say this one has a very familiar story?;)

Heh.. I was going to make a similar comment, but I didn't want to get swarmed by the Vogel die-hards. :)

Heh.. I was going to make a similar comment, but I didn't want to get swarmed by the Vogel die-hards. :)

I liked it when it first came out, but now all he is doing is putting a new paint job on it and selling it to you again....come on Jeff do something original...

I'm hopeful there is some new content in this new iteration of Geneforge but, even if not, I already KNOW I'll actually enjoy it. That's a lot more I can say for many other games, telly shows, and movies these days.

Right? I still watch Star Trek: The Next Generation reruns and I can pretty much speak the dialogue as it's said because I've memorized it.

Still more enjoyable than a lot of other sci-fi shows. :D

Dear lord, I've no idea how anyone with any actual taste could enjoy the current Star Drek shows. Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, obviously the original series, heck even Voyager and Enterprise have some redeeming qualities. That.....whatever it is now, Discovery and Discard, are not Star Trek. Not even close.

Escape from the Pit was my gateway into enjoying the worlds of Spiderweb, which subsequently got me to continue with the Avernum 2-3 remakes and then the Avadon Trilogy as well. I then went further back and despite the interface, finished Nethergate and quite enjoyed it. In 2020, I then played Avernum IV which had dungeons and fights that were oddly more compelling than Bard's Tale IV, which I also completed at the same time. Avernum V will be next…sooner or later. :)

I've had the Geneforge series in my steam library for awhile and have yet to seriously dip my feet in - but I don't really feel any urgent need to support this particular remake. I'm also yet to pick up "the Queens Wish". I'm quite content with the familiarity of the older games to be honest at this point and still have many titles to play. All in good time, as they say - no rush.

Back
Top Bottom