Arcania - Preview @ Hooked Gamers

aries100

SasqWatch
A preview for this game can be found at Hooked Gamers. It is based on the presentation given at GamesCom. As usual, an excerpt:
The Gothic games have always targeted a hardcore RPG audience, mostly due to the lack of aides such as mini maps and directional arrows pointing towards your currently selected quest. ArcaniA will ship with a number of aides, including said mini map, but leaves it up to the player which of them he switches on. An overall map shows your location on the large island that makes up most of the game world. Jowood describes the game world as a 'natural barrier open world' which translates into large, isolated areas that can be accessed only when you are ready for them. Readying yourself means taking quests, gaining experience and leveling up your character. One example given of such a barrier was a bridge guarded by a bunch of thugs not willing to let you pass unless you carry out some jobs for them.
More information.

Well, I haven't been crotch bopped by a field of wild boars charging across the field faster than I can swing my sword in a while, so bring it on!

Hmm. Just heard that this really does need a quad core CPU to run, i.e. the good old C2D might not cut it any more. I'd be happy of they were doing something to use extra CPU power, but this is a console title no? So presumably not that much.

Where did you hear that? The requirements don't seem that high to me, though of course they could be inaccurate. I'd imagine the console versions will be equivalent to low/medium settings.

Hmm. Just heard that this really does need a quad core CPU to run, i.e. the good old C2D might not cut it any more. I'd be happy of they were doing something to use extra CPU power, but this is a console title no? So presumably not that much.

The memory bandwith on a 360 is equal to a i7 almost.. ofcourse, that's not all that matters, but the consoles are often quite competent when compared to older PC hardware (like my C2D) + consoles has other advantages in speed as well. There's no need for a heavy OS in the background etc..

In the latest preview i read the guy was complaining about the performance.. i bet it'll run more like Gothic3 than Risen...

I at first read "CTD" instead of "C2D" ... ;)

I will be very interested to see whether it is actually possible to kill or run past the bandits to bypass their quest. Given the watered-down (er, sorry, "accessible") nature of this game I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is impossible.

Back
Top Bottom