Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Review @ Game Freaks 365

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Game Freaks 365 has reviewed the Early Access version of Baldur's Gate 3:

Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Review

Baldur's Gate 3 in its current state can be a technical mess, but its sandbox creativity makes it almost unparalleled in the genre.

I was a little tentative going into Baldur's Gate 3's early access period. After finding out that saves wouldn't transfer over to the full game once it launched, I thought "why wouldn't I wait then?" This early access launch is a bit of a tease. There is a wealth of content here spanning the first act of the game, with two more acts coming over the next year before the full release sometime in 2021.

The first act spans about 25 hours of gameplay. Granted, Baldur's Gate 3 absolutely encourages experimentation and multiple playthroughs. However, no matter how much content there is here, it's hard to encourage playing through it more than once when none of your saves will carry over to the full game once it releases. I couldn't find an answer as to whether or not it will carry over to future early access acts. Considering how much change Baldur's Gate 3 is expected to go through, I would be surprised if it did.

BG3 is definitely early access

To be sure, this is very much an early access title. Immediately upon booting for the first time I dealt with consistent crashes. Early on in my playthrough, I couldn't access my save state. Occasionally, Baldur's Gate 3 would just crash entirely. The rest of the experience was still a bit of a buggy mess, but the actual content on display here makes up for it, especially with how much is still to come.

[...]
More information.

Thanks for all the news posts @HiddenX; appreciate what you and Couch do to share updates since I don't always have time to hunt them down.

I guess I was super lucky as the game ran better for me then some released games. I barely had any problems with it.

Not the best review I've read, seems to be from someone who doesn't know much about those games to people who don't know much either (and wouldn't care to). Quickly throw a very few random paragraphs on the most obvious and superficial features and that's it. A job well done.

They even managed to explain D&D with a link to Amazon, for crying out loud...

Back
Top Bottom