Kingmaker - Released

Lumping Sword Coast Legends in with these other two titles is a tremendous disservice to both of them.

You only played a half hour of it! :D It's not bad at all. The voicework is the best I've heard in a long time, the story is very good and the gameplay was fun. Good character customization, too. A little on the easier/casual side but still good fun.

But but, how can this be true when Silver Coin says it is only a savescumming fest?
Silver Coin is never wrong you know :D

Quite simple. Same way gamers take to appreciate games: by ignoring the games they appreciate are bent toward gameplay.

PF is a good product for players who dismiss the save reload thing.
PF is an excellent product for players who look for the save reload thing to spam the same pattern and pray for the lucky smile.

explainthisimage-com-565918.jpg

So how is the game overall? I'm hearing it brings back a lot of old school adventure "magic", but has that Mother Russia level of polish to it.
They need to stop meddling in the elections and work a bit more on Q&A. ;)

So how is the game overall? I'm hearing it brings back a lot of old school adventure "magic", but has that Mother Russia level of polish to it.
Well they released two patches already since Tuesday so it is getting better. In few months they should have it mostly without bugs :D

Both their soundtrack and artbook is mediocre. The art-book was evidently made by an art-school graduate, but his/her work lacks soul & greatness. It feels like a pretty children's coloring book. Surprising, because the early UI was soo good. Maybe the UI designer was NOT the painter who did the art? Or their character artist is only really good at UI. :)

The soundtrack could be still good for background only during play. I wanted it for listening while working and for that purpose, it lacks inspiration.

I played for about two hours today, long enough to roll a character that I'm happy with and to get to the trading post, after those silly casters flaked off with that purple-haired loser. I suspect I'll be seeing him again!

You bet you will. I haven't explored all his story yet but I felt a bit sorry for the purple fella.

Agreed.

Aaarrghhhh @Ripper; what was that picture for??? :-/

Apologies. It represented my state of mind after reading Chien's latest argument. It's not pretty.

I think it's totally worth it to play now :p

It has some polish/bug issue, yes, but I don't think it was any worse than most of games at release.

Character building, combat, story telling aspect are all excellent. Companion interaction and voice acting is lacking a bit, but it really depends on which character (I like both Linzi's voice and dialogues, can't say the same about Jaethal etc). Some NPC also has interesting background and story, even though they don't join your party, they will interact with you a lot throughout game, particularly helping you run your kingdom. I have yet to explore kingdom system more, but it wasn't overly burdensome and I could see potential in it to make game more interesting.

So overall, if this keeps up throughout the game (only played first two chapter in beta) then this will definitely end up as one of my top 5 favourite RPG :)

Honestly, the kingdom management thing is a big turn-off for me and it's kind of a bummer to see how many RPGs are including base management type stuff. The castle in PoE, the kingdom in Pathfinder: Kingmaker, settlement management in Fallout 4, base management in Dead State. I just want to play a group of adventurers on an adventure in RPGs, not put down roots and prepare for retirement. If I wanted to run a kingdom or empire then I would play a game dedicated to that genre.

Back
Top Bottom