How to quickly set up a new gaming PC with Windows 10

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-quickly-set-up-a-new-gaming-pc-with-windows-10/

I almost spilled my drink reading that article.
Just… NO.

Okay, it does contain links to windows ISO files on Microsoft's site which you can then burn on DVD or make bootable USB flash drive with Microsoft's tool or Rufus (link also posted), but apart from that the article is meh.

1. Download iso files you need and create bootable media if needed for win7 or win8, you *DON'T* need two USB flash drives as suggested! Unrar win10 iso on any drive that is not c:

2. Back up what is still on your C: somewhere else (usually it'll be only c:/users/profile_name nonhidden folders). Also backup steam games you plan to return to later (you'll restore them with steam inclient option). You don't need to backup Origin, uPlay or GOG games unless those are installed on c:, all you'll need to do for those is to verify them through the client! So just move them on any other drive.

3. Clean install windows7 or windows8, whichever you have the installation key for (win8 key works for win8.1), but make sure that during installation or after it you disable automatic windows update.

4. Download, install then run SlimDrivers (https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php). Grab all drivers for your hardware (ignore mouse/touchpad drivers and dedicated GPU drivers) by installing chipset ones first then the rest.

5. Run setup from a drive where you unpacked win10 iso file. Upon it finishes the upgrade from win7/8 to win10, wait for cca 15 mins till it completes updating.

6. Disable Windows tips in windows 10 (it's buggy and chokes CPU occassionally) and disable all win10 spying features.

That's it.
After 29.06.2016. you won't be able to do this but you'll have to buy a new win10 license.

Last edited:
Thanks joxer. Very useful.

pibbur who won't necessarily do everything the joxer says

Last edited:
An additional note.
On point #6 I deliberately skipped numbering steps (can't find a proper "guide" on one site, every has some stuff, not all, or is too complex).

I'm still (re)searching it, maybe in the end I'll have to write a quick notes by myself. But it does not look peachy. ArsTechnica discovered that some services, upon disabling them, are still not "dead" and are continuing the chatty with Microsoft's servers:
http://arstechnica.com/information-...ndows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

This of course might be a bug or a collection of glitches, the new OS just got out and there is no way everything is patch polished.
But it can also be a hidden keylogger or something similar as it's not clear what is inside the data that shouldn't happen because corresponding service is disabled by the user.

I still stand by my old suggestion. If you're on win7, do not rush, wait with the upgrade, it won't escape anywhere and no reason to upgrade asap exists.
If you're on win8, you already sold your soul and privacy to Microsoft and have nothing to lose any more so you should upgrade immediately.

An additional note.

If you're on win8, you already sold your soul and privacy to Microsoft and have nothing to lose any more so you should upgrade immediately.

Those ones did better than the common win 8 users who paid to surrender their soul and privacy to Microsoft.

Back
Top Bottom