Quantcast
Elex First Impressions - Page 19 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Elex » Elex First Impressions

Default Elex First Impressions

January 7th, 2018, 20:15
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Music and sound is half the game for me; if it warrants being turned off, the developers failed in my view.
Video game music is low quality for me, I rarely see any reason to endure that.

I'm listening music albums some artists tried craft with care, imagination and with art if possible. Video games just don't match, it's poor music quality.

There's some exceptions but quite a minority. Moreover even the exceptions suffer of the problem of loops, it's loops repeated again and again. No way it's a careful crafting for each second for movies music, or many of them.

That's why people enjoying video game music are alien for me, and I suspect they don't have much music culture.
Dasale is offline

Dasale

SasqWatch

#361

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,647
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

January 7th, 2018, 20:29
First thing I always do when starting a computer game is disable sound. There was one exception, but that was quite some time ago. I like my music, not what someone else might think passes for music.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#362

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 4,410
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 7th, 2018, 20:52
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You're wrong there. There's a stamina bar under the enemies health bar. It's small and kind if hard to see, but they certainly can and do run out of stamina, and they can't attack while it's recharging.
Then it's been fixed with last patch, because before it, stamina was shown but not used. And if it is used now, then there's a cleric effect lowering enemy stamina that is probably great now.

I thought it would be difficult to fix because it would be difficult to balance, if they did it (as they should) it's cool.

EDIT: Do I answer a deleted post? No idea why I answered it if it wasn't the last.
Dasale is offline

Dasale

SasqWatch

#363

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,647
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

January 7th, 2018, 23:32
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
First thing I always do when starting a computer game is disable sound. There was one exception, but that was quite some time ago. I like my music, not what someone else might think passes for music.
The only time that really works is for the Bethesda games where they have different folders to put your own music into for combat, exploring, etc so that it will fit in.. Otherwise i really don't see how it would work without constantly having to put effort into selecting pieces that works to heighten the atmosphere of the game..

For many games (including the Gothic games) music really works to the game's advantage.. to not use its music would be a bit like playing it in black & white.
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#364

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 2,088
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 7th, 2018, 23:34
Yeah, the auditory clue that you've aggro'ed an unseen monster is sometimes quite useful.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!

#365

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 14,795
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

January 8th, 2018, 00:19
Works just fine for me. I really dislike wearing a headset, and I like to flaunt my huge stereo. Enlightening my neighbours to superior music is one of the many joys of my existence on this planet.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#366

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 4,410
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

January 8th, 2018, 04:28
why would you need a headset to listen to the game's music though.. i never wear headsets or headphones (really bad for your hearing, eventually).

Enlightening my neighbours.. well, i guess i did that some 20-25 years ago. Actually i had a bit of fun with it recently, one of them had a bluetooth speaker on (no kind of of protection to connect to it), so i decided to stream some early 80's industrial music (whitehouse) to it (like 5.30 in the morning..)
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#367

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 2,088
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

January 8th, 2018, 04:55
Personally, I love wearing a headset while gaming. It helps to block out any outside noise and makes it a more immersive experience for me. Hopefully I don't go deaf from it.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#368

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 23,996
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 8th, 2018, 07:40
Originally Posted by Dasale View Post
Video game music is low quality for me, I rarely see any reason to endure that.

I'm listening music albums some artists tried craft with care, imagination and with art if possible. Video games just don't match, it's poor music quality.
Wow, I just feel totally different. Music game composers put in as much craft, care and imagination as any musical artist, because simply, they too are musical artists. While the level of talent may vary and some neophytes may get involved in music production, the real musical game composer are as good as any other musician.
Dajjer is offline

Dajjer

Dajjer's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#369

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,524
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 8th, 2018, 10:07
^ Of course they are. In many cases they are even more versatile than typical musicians because they often have to do several genres and different styles, not only in the same game but in other games they work on (combat music, ambient exploration music, tense chase scenes, etc. etc..)
Fluent is online now

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
Transfer Companion
RPGWatch Team

#370

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,492
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 8th, 2018, 14:03
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Personally, I love wearing a headset while gaming. It helps to block out any outside noise and makes it a more immersive experience for me. Hopefully I don't go deaf from it.
you won't go deaf but you might get tinnitus (which sucks, i have it - from using headphones).

personally i love having proper surround sound when gaming. currently playing No Man's Sky and the sound is quite good, love hearing the ships above my head and thrusters turn on behind me etc.

I think the quality of game music varies extremely, i do think it has gotten worse and i think that partially has to do with now "anyone can make music". All it really takes is a computer and a professional sound library and you can begin to lay down some ambient music and drones very easily. It might sound "professional" but it's usually very boring music with no soul.
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin
vurt is offline

vurt

vurt's Avatar
Serial Modderer

#371

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The land of rape and honey
Posts: 2,088
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

January 9th, 2018, 08:36
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
^ Of course they are. In many cases they are even more versatile than typical musicians because they often have to do several genres and different styles, not only in the same game but in other games they work on (combat music, ambient exploration music, tense chase scenes, etc. etc..)
I loved the music of Gothic 2 and the town music for Khorinis is just jaw droppingly awesome. But really, Rosenkranz took it another level in Gothic 3. I don't think there has ever been any better snow and desert music accompaniment in gamdom.

However, for a singular piece of ambient music accompaniment it has to be Jeremy Soule track from Skyrim called Music day 3. I would pay big money to watch an orchestra/choir perform this piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyczq3l1yms

Sadly while the music for Elex works, none of the pieces are that memorable, and I have over 200 hours in the game . . . .
Dajjer is offline

Dajjer

Dajjer's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#372

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 1,524
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Piranha Bytes » Elex » Elex First Impressions
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:24.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch