DA:O Tatics: Love them or Hate Them! They define RPG's

Dragon Age: Origins

DaMastaHeroKilla

Traveler
RPG's stand for Role Playing Game meaning you are not a one man army going to save the world. It takes a team effort. Each and everyone should compliment and finesse the other's style. Now my question is who here believes that using a tatic of each non controlled player should hold a bow until the enemy reaches short range and then switch to melee weapons and then attack when enemy attacks. I think if you purchase the right swords then you can overcome enemies and hordes.

RPG's stand for Role Playing Game meaning you are not a one man army going to save the world. It takes a team effort. Each and everyone should compliment and finesse the other's style.

RPG stand fore Role Playing Games, as in "you play a Role, in a Game", it don't stand fore Party Based Combat? It don't mather how many you control, if we define RPG after you, The Witcher and Gotich wont be RPGs.

As fore you question, I don't use that tatic. I prefer to have my tank go head on, gaining aggro, one archer as damage dealer, one mage to take out enemy mages and other nastys, and one random damage dealer (any class).

I really don't understand how you got to "team based tactics are what defines RPGs" from "RPGs stand for Role Playing Games". In my opinion, combat (altogether) is not at all mandatory in a Role-Playing Game. The way I see it, any game that allows you to influence the way your character(s) evolve through the plot, both in terms of statistics (meant to reflect their "personality", their talents etc.), and, much, much more importantly, how they react to the world around them (thus really playing the role of your character(s) as you see fit), qualifies as an RPG.

P.S.: As for your question regarding tactics, I'm not sure you're being serious. Isn't adaptability the very essence of "tactics"? Trying to determine one generic tactic, regardless of the conditions specific to each encounter, kind of defeat the purpose, I think.

It's not that wrong that RPG was linked to the team effort, not a single character achievement. It's also right that many RPG had almost no role element despite the genre name.

But now it's almost only single character and RPG try fake much more "role" elements.

A sign of time, now its the individuality that matter.

Back
Top Bottom