Unhappy with the localization of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana? Join the email campaign!

Ys8EC

Traveler
After a long wait since the Ys VIII announcement back in 2014, the game has been finally released on the West for the PS Vita and the PS4. PC version has been indefinitely delayed by NISA until further notice. However, long-time fans and newcomers alike have been witnesses of huge issues with the translation, mostly a clear lack of editing (stiff and awkward dialogues, homogenization of character personalities, etc.). Needless to say, this entails that the game's excellent writing has been lost during the localization, harming its compelling plot quite a lot.

Which is why we are launching the Ys VIII email campaign! We consider that Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana deserved a better treatment, and NISA has not been up to the previous entries localization's mark. We'd like to directly tell Nihon Falcom about Ys VIII localization issues via email, while also explaining what we'd like to see in future Western releases. Sadly, the Japanese developer, Nihon Falcom, has stated in recent interviews that they don't know what it's needed when it comes to Western releases, and rely exclusively on the publishers. Emailing a Japanese company could be difficult because of the language barrier, but we know how to get over that barrier.

Japanese message to Falcom (+ English translation): https://pastebin.com/BdNdwV6f

Indeed, we have prepared a summary of our wishes translated into Japanese. We've put our best efforts into this text, so you can rest assured that the message won't get diluted along the way. Of course, you're free to include your own requests into the email, but remember to use a pretty basic English or they will have problems understanding your message. Lastly, don't forget to be respectful. And for the subject "Ys VIII English release" should be good enough.

They may not have the time to read every single email, but if we all contribute to this campaign, the noise will be far too big for Falcom to ignore. We have the opportunity to be their Western feedback: let's seize that opportunity. We'd like to stress that this is NOT a boycott. We just want future Falcom releases to be as good as its Japanese counterparts, no matter which publisher releases their games.

Send your emails at nihon@falcom.co.jp

Hashtags #Ys8 #YsVIII

Spread the word about this campaign!

A few examples: https://imgur.com/a/58G3W

Last edited:
Translation is not a true problem..
Visit Japan, 80% of working adults in non~physical labor jobs speak and read english. I guarantee the execs at Falcom speak flawlessly.

Edit... I swear there was a post here!

I thought it said the Lactating of Dana at first. Had to do a double-take :)

It's weird, Ys is a bigger seller in NA than Japan, you would think they would try a little harder.

What do you mean by that?

The sad truth is that jrpg translation/voiceover is usually so bad the only way to enjoy a game and not get irritated with silly chatty is to play with original VO and subtitles.

However, XSeed did an awsome job with VO in Trails of Cold Steel a couple of months back so it's IMO too early to spit on translation noone saw yet. Sure, this game is not being localized by XSeed but some other company, but I don't think Falcom hired them to ruin dialogues with the translation.

What do you mean by that?

The sad truth is that jrpg translation/voiceover is usually so bad the only way to enjoy a game and not get irritated with silly chatty is to play with original VO and subtitles.

However, XSeed did an awsome job with VO in Trails of Cold Steel a couple of months back so it's IMO too early to spit on translation noone saw yet. Sure, this game is not being localized by XSeed but some other company, but I don't think Falcom hired them to ruin dialogues with the translation.

Just as i said. Because the game sells better in NA than Japan, you would think that Falcom would try and make the translation as best as they can as a gift to the NA fans of the game. Instead their translation is an insult to those gamers.

Back
Top Bottom