Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One - Review @ Wccf Tech

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Wccf Tech reviews Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One ahead of tomorrow's release.

Sherlock Holmes Chapter One Review - Truth is in the Eye of the Beholder

Developer Frogwares has been doing justice to Sherlock Holmes for quite some time now with a series of adventure games that manage to faithfully represent one of the most famous detectives in literature. That said, some of these games, like The Devil's Daughter, stumbled due to design choices that didn't fit well with the rest of the experience, such as an abundance of Quick Time Events and flawed action sequences.

On paper, Sherlock Holmes Chapter One did not sound too different from its predecessor. The prospect of having combat in a Sherlock Holmes game didn't seem very exciting either and the more open-ended nature of the experience, now close to an open-world game, could have resulted in the entire experience feeling unfocused and dispersive. This time around, however, the seemingly unusual design choices did pay off, as Sherlock Holmes Chapter One is an excellent adventure game and a genuine step forward for the entire series.

[...]

Sherlock Holmes Chapter One is one of the very best series installments, thanks to a great story powered by solid writing, charming characters, varied cases, and new open-world gameplay mechanics that fit incredibly well. While some of these mechanics do require a little tweaking, such as combat, Chapter One is a very solid game that no fan of the series or adventure games should pass on.

Pros

• Engaging story
  • Charming characters
  • Huge variety of cases
  • Masterfully crafted investigation mechanics
  • Fitting open-world mechanics
Cons

• Collectibles and Bandit Lairs feel a little too "gamey"
  • Combat is not particularly deep
More information.

I've always been disappointed by the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games. But I'm in a Sherlock Holmes mood lately (thanks to Elementary) and so will probably give this a try. My favorite previous game is probably Crimes & Punishments, which similarly has multiple cases. Maybe that's a positive sign.

I am in cautious enthusiasm mode.
I really like Sherlock Holmes stories, and I really really like Frogwares' previous Testament of SH. Crimes & Punishments was also a noble effort.

BUT.

Recent Frogwares output is less than stellar: IMHO Daughter of SH was ridiculously dumbed down and Sinking City's open world detective exploration was a design failure.

Also, I'm not a big fan of this "young-ification" trend (young Indy Jones, young Sheldon, young Superman, young X-men, young Star Trek, you name it. . . -- how about a teen angst drama about young Adolf Hitler for a change?!).
I have absolutely no interest in young Sherlock Holmes (mind you, the OLD SH was marvellous in the book/movie and the MODERN SH was exceptional in the BBC tv series though). If I'm in need of a teen detective tale, Nancy Drew or even Scooby Doo would fit the bill nicely, thankyouverymuch.

We'll see.

I will probably give this a try. I haven't played any previous SH game, but the investigation/deduction system I was reading about for this sounded really interesting.

This actually look kind of cool, though the slow-mo punches make me laugh!

I wish Holmes was an older Holmes though... but maybe that's just me, as an old guy, hating younger people who are smarter than me. =)

I've had serious hits and misses with past Sherlock titles, perhaps this will be one that's better than the rest. Although I'd much prefer that Holmes didn't look like some waifish teenager. -xxx

Other reviews:

Twinfinite is the only one I saw with a bad impression, 2/5
  • (+) Big investigations are still pretty fun. Carries over elements that worked from previous series.
  • (-) Needless open-world and combat elements. Quests pad runtime and take away from big investigations. Vague “no hand-holding” gameplay prompts and direction. Cordona is a bland and lifeless setting.

PC Invasion: With a strong narrative and exceptional investigation mechanics, Sherlock Holmes Chapter One manages to one-up its predecessors. Sadly, it also doesn't reach its full potential, though we can hope that future titles are more in-depth. 8/10

Game Watcher: The strength of Frogwares previous works is retained within more ambitious, freeform packaging. Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One can be abrasive, both in gameplay terms and in its depiction of an iconic character, but it offers such rich and rewarding depth to its detective drama that it’s much easier to accept. 8.0/10
  • (+) Tried and trusted Holmes detective gameplay. More flexibility to investigations
  • Open-world suits the game’s new approach. Interesting dynamic between Holmes and Jon.
  • (-) Initially overwhelming. Relaxed attitude to results can dilute satisfaction from solving cases. Sherlock’s character design feels at odds with the world he’s in.

Wccf Tech is the one above, 8.5/10

CGMagazine: Sherlock Holmes Chapter One might just be my favourite game this year. It has charm, it has elegance, it has a beautiful environment. You can tell Frogwares developed this game with the utmost amount of respect for Doyle’s original character. Being able to see a younger and less sure of himself, Holmes gives me greater appreciation for the character. His mistakes and naïveté help him become the Holmes we have seen in the movies and books for so long.

There are a couple of minor things that I would have liked or changed, but they are a small pittance compared to the enormous love I have for this game. I haven’t truly enjoyed a detective game in a very long time. The last was LA Noire. My favourite literary character has been brought to life in a way I could never have imagined, and I am absolutely all about it.
8.5/10

If someone plays it can you let us know how it is?

It sounds like improvements have been made since the last one - which I hated. It was loaded with QTE's and Indiana Jones moments. The only good bit was the deductions system. Combat sounds like a big step backwards though.

For me, the best Sherlock game is still The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel. Classic point and click from the early 90's. Rose Tattoo was also a solid effort. The Frogwares games are quite inferior in most regards except graphics.

I have absolutely no interest in young Sherlock Holmes (mind you, the OLD SH was marvellous in the book/movie and the MODERN SH was exceptional in the BBC tv series though).

I am with you here, but it's chapter One and he is not a teen but a 22 yo. He is already the Sherlock Holmes everyone loves so full of himself and insufferable.

It seems they had quite a success so far. I still have to … add it to my backlog.

Sherlock Holmes Chapter One sees great reception from fans and critics!
Chapter One is our fastest selling Sherlock game to date

Hey everyone,

The reception of Sherlock Holmes Chapter One from both our players and critics has been inspiring, and we're thrilled to share our new Accolades Trailer with you.

We're extremely proud that SHCO is the fastest-selling Sherlock Holmes title, outperforming the opening sales of all our previously released Sherlock Holmes games. Even though at the time being it is only available on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series platforms.

We want to thank you for all your incredible support, and we truly hope that you enjoy Chapter One and our future titles.

Best,
Frogwares

Back
Top Bottom