Ruined King: A League of Legends Story - Released

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Destructoid reports that Airship Syndicate and Riot Forge have released their previously announced title, Ruined King: A League of Legends Story. The game is available on GOG, Steam and Epic Store.

Ruined King: A League of Legends Story surprise drops today

The League of Legends RPG goes live as Riot Forge shows off several of the projects it has in the works

Today, Riot's partner publishing platform Forge showcased some of its upcoming lineup of games. And alongside one previously announced title, Riot Forge surprise-dropped Ruined King: A League of Legends Story, while giving a glimpse ahead at what's to come for Runeterra.

Ruined King takes place in the world of League of Legends, starring a party made up of popular League champions. Miss Fortune, Illaoi, Pyke, Ahri, Yasuo, and Braum join forces to stop Viego--the Ruined King--in a single-player RPG adventure. Developer Airship Syndicate previously worked on games like Darksiders Genesis and Battle Chasers: Nightwar, and Ruined King certainly seems to take after the latter.

[...]
More information.

I've played and finished the company's first game, Battle Chasers back in the day. It was a fun, classic JRPG style game. One of the few JRPGs that I enjoyed. So I was waiting Ruined King eagerly. At least until seeing the videos and screenshots. My first reaction was: 'But this is Battle Chasers'. It looks more like a mod of Battle Chasers rather than a fully fledged game. They didn't even bother to change monster models.

I’m on the fence about this one, but when I had read up on gameplay mechanics I didn’t get a battle chasers vibe from it. But I do agree now that I’ve watched the video that the graphics seem very like it.

Battle Chasers was pretty good. I would have liked the combat to be a bit deeper - but otherwise it was fun. I think this game works pretty much the same as Battle Chasers from what I've seen previously.

Yeah, Battle Chasers was no Wizardry or Bard's Tale, yet it was really enjoyable. I found myself having more fun with that game than I'd had in a while. If the combat system had been a tad more refined, it would have been exceptionally good.

I'll probably try this one soonish, if nothing else to get more of Runeterra's story. Some of the characters I like, such as Sarah Fortune, Pyke, Braum or Ahri, so that's always an incentive.

Hmmm, it's just one anecdotal review on Steam but I still don't like to hear this...

I can't help but feel it's a dumbed down version of Airship Syndicate's previous game, Battle Chasers Nightwar, in terms of the complexity of the mechanics.

Here's another opinion from Steam:

I Played in Veteran mode, i think it's the best turn-based combat i have played in a while. ( i fear normal might be too easy )

- If you come from LoL : creating builds with items and runes is very satisfying. Combat is very strategic, you might like it.

- If you like RPGs like FF7 (1997) and Grandia 1 : You should play this game. you don't need to know anything about League of legends. The combat system is an evolution of Grandia's system, with more depth in my opinion.

I finished the First really important boss, I think the game is 100% worth it. Buy it Now.
I will change my test after finishing the game.

With all the cherry-picking done, the game has 84% positive reviews after over a thousand reviews in just one day.

I'll be trying it later tonight to judge for myself. Seems like something right down my alley.

I don't need positive or negative reviews to know I'll pass on playing this game for now. Other then that I have nothing negative to say other then it just doesn't appeal to me.

So if one of you try it out please share your opinion.:)

I've played for about an hour, only finished Sarah Fortune's first mission, and I like the game quite a bit. I do get the extra enjoyment from being into Runeterra's lore, and getting to know more about its characters.

It's not like the game is groundbreaking or anything, just like Battle Chasers really, but the combat is pretty fun in general, and it does have interesting elements in it
. I followed up a bit with the next character, Illaoi, and her combat mechanics are quite different from Miss Fortune, so I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how intricate it gets when you get several party members.

I was also browsing a bit more through different reviews, and I understood the reason why at least some of the negative reviews are being dishonest:

game is bad because riot games is bad. stay away from riot, they harass their female employees don't forget!

Which is fair enough I guess, but a bit pointless to sabotage this company for making a game based on a Riot universe which accomplishes absolutely nothing.

The fact that the story is tied into LoL makes me more interested in it as well. I've never actually played LoL, but I did play the Legends of Runeterra digital card game, and something about the characters there was just really appealing to me, they had a ton of flavor and character and it made me want to get to know more about them. It even inspired me to watch the new series Arcane on Netflix. Getting me to care about the characters in a collectible card game is a seriously impressive feat.

I noticed Netflix's 'Arcane' TV Show has unusually high score. So I tried to watch the pilot weepisode, but it was sooo BAD and boring, I had to stop after a couple minutes. Checked and its based in League of Legends, URGH!!
Battle Chasers Nightwar had graphically excellent style, but its gameplay was similarly bad to Netflix's TV Show. UnPLayable, boring bad design.

Well, I know nothing at all about league of legends, whatever that might be, yet I'm a fan of FF seven so perhaps I will check this one out.

I would say more than FF7 the combat system has a resemblance to FFX, but that's just to compare it to something. It's quite a thing of its own.

It's also not an extremely long game but has an inexpensive £20 price tag. There are a lot of streamers running it right now, so it's easy to check it out to make sure it's something you could like before buying in any case.

I noticed Netflix's 'Arcane' TV Show has unusually high score. So I tried to watch the pilot weepisode, but it was sooo BAD and boring, I had to stop after a couple minutes. Checked and its based in League of Legends, URGH!!
Battle Chasers Nightwar had graphically excellent style, but its gameplay was similarly bad to Netflix's TV Show. UnPLayable, boring bad design.

I just watched the first episode the other day and enjoyed it FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom