XCom2 opinions

Has anyone tried the new Long War mod for Wrath of the Chosen? There were definitely a lot of things I really liked about the original Long War, although it had some issues as well.

Now the Avatar countdown is only 2 squares away from being complete, and I've only just expanded to Mexico and Brazil.
No it isn't! (Errr, wasn't, that was 3 days ago.) Even when the squares run out, you get a timer that's fairly substantial. There's plenty of time to go knock down an alien factory or some such, even when the squares run out.

But then, I'm just a n00b with a mere 385 hours in the game. ;)

Hey, watch those spoilers. ;)

I was pretty sure the game wouldn't just end if the countdown maxed out anyways. Haven't played the last couple of days, but I'll be back to it after work today.

I just had an event where the Avenger got knocked out of the sky by a UFO, and I had to fight off a large ground assault. Was that part of the storyline or is it avoidable?

Unavoidable, I think. Might be a way to make it happen later?

That was a fun mission! It was good to get some soldiers out there that were getting left behind the main group.

That was a fun mission! It was good to get some soldiers out there that were getting left behind the main group.

Yeah, it was pretty cool and unexpected.

The battle was especially chaotic for me because one of the alien rulers also showed up too. Luckily, he was already at about 1/4 health from previous encounters, and he went down with one rocket from Spark-001.

Too bad there aren't more missions that feature larger-scale battles like that.

The Avenger Hunter is a dark event. It can be delayed like any other dark event, but eventually it happens, like it or not. Well, I should specify that's how it works in WOTC since I've already gotten bitten once on WOTC vs vanilla. Actually, in WOTC there's a second type of battle similar to that one, but I think it's only in the expansion content because it's always been tied to the Chosen when it happens.

Unavoidable, I think. Might be a way to make it happen later?

I think it's unavoidable. You can postpone it but I suppose you can't really avoid it at all.

And turrets too, you can employ the turrets you got on previous missions. When I encountered this mission, I already had improved turrets, AFAIK.

As a sidenote, turrets can Overwatch.

Last edited:
I took a break for a few days but came back to this yesterday and took out the third alien ruler. I was looking at the Steam achievements afterwards and was surprised to see that only 17% of players have managed to defeat all three rulers in 1 playthrough.

I made the armors from the Viper King and Berserker Queen corpses. They're kind of silly looking, but the added abilites are pretty fun. I had a Ranger in the Viper suit freeze the Archon ruler before delivering the coup de grâce.

Duke Nuke'm can make Viper Armor look good. ish.

I took a break for a few days but came back to this yesterday and took out the third alien ruler. I was looking at the Steam achievements afterwards and was surprised to see that only 17% of players have managed to defeat all three rulers in 1 playthrough.

Rest assured that I am among them :)

I made the armors from the Viper King and Berserker Queen corpses. They're kind of silly looking, but the added abilites are pretty fun. I had a Ranger in the Viper suit freeze the Archon ruler before delivering the coup de grâce.

The Archon Ruler's armor is, by far, the prettiest of them all.

Last edited:
The Archon Ruler's armor is, by far, the prettiest of them all.
I don't know about pretty, but dropping the Icarus Armor on your best sniper and zipping him to high ground anywhere you like is very, very useful.

I don't know about pretty, but dropping the Icarus Armor on your best sniper and zipping him to high ground anywhere you like is very, very useful.

I gave that armor to my best ranger, instead. Mobility is also needed to execute the ranger's powerful melee attacks (coupled with Bladestorm skill at Captain rank, rangers are killing machines).

I'm starting to understand why I've seen so many people complain about the RNG in this game. Sometimes it's pure bullshit. I just had a guy miss a 81% shot 6 times in row. I've also seen 90+% shots miss way too many times to be realistic.

Does anyone know if certain stats affect hit % in a way that's not shown during the targeting?

I'm starting to understand why I've seen so many people complain about the RNG in this game. Sometimes it's pure bullshit. I just had a guy miss a 81% shot 6 times in row. I've also seen 90+% shots miss way too many times to be realistic.

Does anyone know if certain stats affect hit % in a way that's not shown during the targeting?

As far as I know, the RNG isn't wrong. If you were to take all the 30% shots you hit but never complain about, they do end up balancing out.

It's a matter of thousands of shots to do the actual stats right.

How did one guy miss 6 shots in a row (assuming it's 6 turns of shots) ? Did you have 4 others succeeding at 81% shots ? If so, he's one unlucky soldier, but all other are shooting more accurately than anticipated.

How did one guy miss 6 shots in a row (assuming it's 6 turns of shots) ? Did you have 4 others succeeding at 81% shots ? If so, he's one unlucky soldier, but all other are shooting more accurately than anticipated.

No. As a test, I kept reloading and playing out a particular sequence. He missed 6 times in a row, and what's even stranger is that I had two soldiers firing overwatch shots during that sequence and they hit every single time which, considering that overwatch shots have a lower % than normal shots, is extremely unlikely.

It really seemed like that sequence had been predetermined especially the overwatch shots. I should have kept reloading to see if those overwatch shots ever missed, but I eventually got bored with it.

As a regular save scummer, I can tell you that shot success DOES appear to have some predetermined factor in it. I've never been able to figure out the pattern, but I've seen exactly what you're seeing for years. Generally, the way around it is to put some action between the reload and the shot. Tab to the next soldier and have them do something first and then go back to your original shooter; move 1 square over or some such. Any action seems to "break the destiny".

No. As a test, I kept reloading and playing out a particular sequence. He missed 6 times in a row, and what's even stranger is that I had two soldiers firing overwatch shots during that sequence and they hit every single time which, considering that overwatch shots have a lower % than normal shots, is extremely unlikely.

It really seemed like that sequence had been predetermined especially the overwatch shots. I should have kept reloading to see if those overwatch shots ever missed, but I eventually got bored with it.
Sounds to me like that's just a seeded number.

It's like in games where you have randomly generated maps. They each have a seed. That sequence of numbers drawn is essentially predetermined but the overall game is random.

I tend to play on iron-man or honest man if I have tons of mods on so I've not been able to see that though, but that would be my initial thought.

Back
Top Bottom