The "I Just Bought" thread

Doublepost because it's not VR related plus I forgot to bragg about it already.

A few days ago my Art of ME4 and Tales from the Darkside preorder arrived and now my collection is complete.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

The plastic wrapping ofc is not original, to protect those books from dust and my cigarette smoke, I use cheap kitchen bags as for all my comics.
Transparent mylar bags are not easily obtainable and are unbelievably expensive in EU, I'll have to check offers on aliexpress one of these days. I'm repeating that to myself for years. I guess I'm just a lazy bum. ;)

If one wants to know, Tales from the Darkside (Hill, Rodriguez) IMO is very good, but not a musthave masterpiece like Locke&Key from the same authors. It has exactly what I expected - numerous fresh ideas spectacularily drawn on a paper. But somehow feels rushed and lacks of epicness. :( Or maybe I'm just too spoiled.

Last edited:
I couldn't contain myself, so I just ordered the MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G card. Stupid name, I know. They just keep getting crazier and crazier.

1024.png

Reviews are ranking high up there. It supposedly handles Witcher 3 @ 1440p with everything on Ultra at 90-100 fps, which is great. That's what I'm planning on doing. Maybe I'll try 4k scaled down to 2560x1440p. I'll see.

But it should be great. Anyone else getting the 1080 ti?
I've been intrigued by the 1080 ti ever since they announced it. It being stronger than a titan XP is just great.

Holy mackerel, it seems the benchmarks were right. The 1080 ti is a beast of a card.
I just tested Witcher 3 @ 3620x2036 (downscaled to 2560x1440 (my native resolution)) with everything set to max (even hairworks), and it ran at a steady 50-60 fps, at 70 degrees Celsius. And quite silent I might add.

Turning down the resolution to my native resolution (with everything still on max settings) and the fps jumped to 85-95 fps. A beast of a performer.

That tuna sure wasn't a 1080 TI type of tuna, given that it was caught. You have benchmarks on your tuna :)

Last edited:
It made a few knots before being caught but alas we did not benchmark it against other tuna. While I can say it was not the absolute slowest of the lot it was definitely near the rear of the pack when caught.

That tuna sure wan't a 1080 TI type of tuna, given that it was caught. You have benchmarks on your tuna :)

I couldn't contain myself, so I just ordered the MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G card. Stupid name, I know. They just keep getting crazier and crazier.

1024.png

Reviews are ranking high up there. It supposedly handles Witcher 3 @ 1440p with everything on Ultra at 90-100 fps, which is great. That's what I'm planning on doing. Maybe I'll try 4k scaled down to 2560x1440p. I'll see.

But it should be great. Anyone else getting the 1080 ti?
I've been intrigued by the 1080 ti ever since they announced it. It being stronger than a titan XP is just great.

Just ordered this myself ;)

I was expecting something like a 50% increase in performance over my 980 ti - but it seems it'll be closer to 75-100% in most new games.

That pleases me a great deal!

Got my new Boox Max 2, an A4 sized e-ink android tablet. A fairly niche device, but I'm pretty pleased with it. It's much more responsive than any e-ink device I've used before.

I've mentioned previously, my eyes don't like too much screen time, and this let's me read, browse, send messages, etc, and avoid screens a lot of the time. The handwriting stylus works very well, and it has an HDMI input that let's you use it as a monitor. That's obviously limited in where it's useful, but it also works pretty well.

Very pricey, but if you have similar requirements, it's well worth a look.

Looks like you'll go pretty fast in that sucker!

A Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SSD.

My 512GB SSD just wasn't cutting it anymore. I was tired of constantly having to delete games to make room for new ones. I'm going to leave my OS, etc on the 512 and have the 1TB be dedicated entirely to games.

But but... It's more expensive than Nintendo Gameboy! :p

A Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SSD.

My 512GB SSD just wasn't cutting it anymore. I was tired of constantly having to delete games to make room for new ones. I'm going to leave my OS, etc on the 512 and have the 1TB be dedicated entirely to games.

I always tend to buy the cheaper ones when i'm out of space 250-500GB.

I really should just sell them all off and buy the biggest i can find, would be so nice to have it all on 1 drive, and my case would be way less cluttered. I have 7 HDD's in my system, though one is just an old (but large) SATA drive.

Latest purchase, hardware sequencer "Pyramid" from Squarp. It's awesome!

5qu2g.jpg

(most likely uninteresting to 99.9% of all forum members)

I just got a new backpack. The old one might have a for life warranty but this is the second jansport that developed a hole in the bottom. Sigh. Oh well at least it lasted 11 years. Ack gone up a lot - last one was $23; same model today is $31.

Koss Portapro, yeah, the ugly headphones with (for the price and IMO) great sound has gone wireless. Still cheap (compared to the competition). Just as ugly. And with the same great sound (for the price and IMO).

Great for going to work if you don't want in-ear or bulky over-ear thingies. IMO!

koss_portapro_wireless-44886407-1.jpg

pibbur whose only regret is that his set came with the original blue earpieces.

PS: Koss has produced the Portapro for 34 years now. I don't know of any other headset that has been in production for so long with only minor changes. Says something about how popular they are. Even if they're ugly. DS.

PPS: I have a set of wired portapro headphones also. No, I don't use them for gaming on my new soundcard, except on the rare occasions when it's convenient to hear the wife talking to me. DS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom