What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Was treated to the latest Jurassic Whatever-the-hell-it-was.

A particularly tedious and inept action movie, among a sea of them. Put me in mind of a straight-to-dvd cheapo sequel, that somehow received a large CGI budget.

Was treated to the latest Jurassic Whatever-the-hell-it-was.

A particularly tedious and inept action movie, among a sea of them. Put me in mind of a straight-to-dvd cheapo sequel, that somehow received a large CGI budget.
I have mixed views on the reboot movies but the second one is on track to make a billion in worldwide sales. Not bad for a movie that cost only 73 million USD to make.

With regards to Jurassic Park reboot I thought the first one was better than the second one. The second one seemed to suffer from force acting and excessive fake cgi (er the cgi looked mega fake in many places). I got the feeling the cast was only there because of contract obligations; where as in the first one they seem to be having a lot of fun.

Watched Spider-Man: Homecoming, or tried to. I gave up after about an hour, but only because I told myself after 20 minutes that it might improve. The humor in the Marvel movies is most of the time quite bad and totally unnecessary, but usually it doesn’t bother me too much. However the attempt at humor in this movie is so bad, probably because it is so juvenile, it ruined the movie for met and I completely gave up, which is quite a thing to accomplish.

Yeah I didn't care for the newest Spiderman offering either. Between the stupid/awkward attempts at semi-humour, and the nauseating repeated insertions of Avenger people, it was pretty bad. Keaton was decent, but the rest of that movie was extremely awful.

I saw exactly one Spiderman movie in my lifetime - the first one by Sam Raimi. Never had a desire to watch another. I'm about to watch Paul Verhoven's last film, Elle (2016). I always considered him an interesting director even when he seems a bit misguided.

Verhoeven is my favorite director because of the fun he has pushing boundries. I didn't understand the resolution to Elle
Why does she kill her lover??

Saw Untouchables. Very good. Though I suspect no one here will admit it.

Speaking of Untouchables. Saw Black Dahlia again. Anything from De Palma gets an upvote from me :)

Wanted to see some old-fashioned chiller, so saw Hereditary.

Honestly, I'm not getting the hype.
A theory: those who found this movie great, haven't seen the old classics it tries to imitate: Rosemary's Baby, Omen I, etc. Both are better ones, than this "best-of-60s/70s-horrors" compilation.

Toni Colette is wonderful though.

Went home and cured my wounds with the wonderfully weird Night of the Hunter.

Last edited:
Read some critics about that one in local trash newespaper and they say it's overadvertised and overhyped mediocrity. Won't be checking if it's true - I have too many of exotics that need to be seen and not enough time for (below)average stuff.

Deadpool 2

Absolutely loved it! So goofy, fun, and irreverent! Better than the first one.

Yeah, I thought it was great fun. And, despite not taking itself seriously, a far more coherent tale than many of the comic movies it's lampooning.

Back
Top Bottom