What rpgs should I play

acewa

Traveler
Hi all, new to the community and after some suggestions on some good rpgs on PC. Games I played in the past are oblivion, morrowind, skyrim, zelda and the ocarina of time, might and magic 7 ( Really liked this in its day) and faxanadu. Sure there are more but cant think of them off the top of my head. I really like the character creation/development ( getting better armour and weopons + leveling) and quest style of game with a medi evil fantasy theme. Thinking of getting withcher 2, gothic 2, one of the wizardry games or pillars of eternity. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated though, Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to RPGWatch!

First of all you should check GOG immediately. They are in the encore to their summer sale, with probably only hours left. Witcher, Risen and Gothic are on sale there, as well as many other RPGs.

In terms character development the Gothic style games are indeed very rewarding. Especially the older games. A good entry point would be the first Risen. It is basically Gothic 2, with a bit less depth but a completely harmless interface. If you like how it feels, go back to the old Gothics.
Gothic 1 delivers the best sense of accomplishment, IMHO, due to its simple and clean mechanics. You can literally "feel" how much your character improves by +5 STR and slightly better weapon.
G2 Gold is an all-time classic. Brilliant world design, good character development, interesting NPCs, high difficulty. Both games have the same ca. 15 minute learning wall. The interface itself is remarkably efficient, just not intuitiv.
The later Risens are more mainstream. According to the hivemind R3 is better than R2.
The star in Gothic 3 is the world design. This world is absolutely gigantic and still one of the most beautiful out there. The game itself is a gamble though, even with the community patch. Hit or miss.

I'm not a Wizardry fan, because you can't make more than 3 steps without running into another group of enemies. If you want to try the series, GOG has Wiz8 for 1.89€. Or wait for the BundleStars pack to come back. Could take a bit though, because you're a week late.

The Witcher -> The Witcher 2 -> The Witcher 3
Gothic -> Gothic 2 -> Gothic 3 (modded)
Risen -> Risen 2 -> Risen 3

:)

If you're interested in creating a party of characters and watching it grow and get stronger, then check out Icewind Dale and Temple of Elemental Evil. Two great D&D-based CRPGs. The two Drakensang games are also quite good in this regard (you only get to create one character, but you can recruit several more and they have a very good character progression system).

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated. I picked up Witcher 1 &2, Risen 1, gothic 1 &2, Icewind dale 1 &2 and temple of elemental evil all for under $60. Many hours to kill now :). Any further suggestions would still be much appreciated. I forgot to mention in OP that the breath of fire series was also one of my favorite along with wizards and warriors #3 on the old nes. Also if a few people could tell me their own top 3 rpgs in the last 3 years or so would be great. Would like to get a newer game but havent really found anything that captures me like the old games use to. Thanks agian.

Witcher 3
D:OS
POE
in the last year anyways would be my top.

I need a break from the Witcher 3 for a bit, so I have to decide between Elminage Gothic or Serpent in the Staglands. Has anyone played both?

I need a break from the Witcher 3 for a bit, so I have to decide between Elminage Gothic or Serpent in the Staglands. Has anyone played both?

Fluent has a ton of post on Elminage Gothic, I looked into Serpents but it isn't get very good reviews.

I have played both, although I have only spent a few hours with the Staglands beta and haven't gotten around to playing the full release yet.

But I'm sure you know my thoughts on Elminage Gothic. It's a fantastic experience. I love it very much because it provides a deep and complex party-based, turn-based experience. People say it's very similar to the early Wizardry games, so if you like those, you will probably like EG, too.

I know you like loot, so just make sure you take the Mysterious Bag skill on one of your characters, which allows excess loot to automatically be sent to your stash. Then you can hoard all the unidentified items, identify them and find some cool stuff. :)

There's a lot of "hybrids" out there, too. XCom, Deus Ex, I would even call Saints Row at least a hybrid given that you build up your character's skills and buy upgrades.

Don't miss Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. You have to patch it up a lot to make it work but it's a great RPG.

How about Final Fantasy? I'm partial to FF7 myself.

Divinity: Original Sin is a fine old-style-on-modern-hardware game but, after all those games you just got, you'll have had PLENTY of old style.

If you like the fun of starting with something small and building it up to something big then you might enjoy the 4X genre, too, where you start with one planet and build up a galactic empire. Or X3: Terran Conflict where you start with a single ship and build up a galactic mega-corp/military. Or a city builder like Tropico 4.

P.S. And don't forget South Park: Stick of Truth when you're in the mood for some silliness.

I just started binge watching Halt and Catch Fire. Great so far three episodes into it.

Based on a fictional company in the early 80's that is trying to take on IBM in the race for personal computers.

Nice break from gaming but still enjoying computers and a part of them that I grew up with. I forgot how much me and my computer buddies hated IBM. My parents bought my sister a true IBM 286 and I got so mad at them.

Nobody mentioned Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 yet lol. How can that be?

I would also say Planescape Torment but he seems to like more combat oriented games that have lots of loot to find.

And since his past is full of first person games, Vampire Bloodlines (with community patches) is a must.

Hi, If you like comics series of games, and you can try to play with the One Piece game. One Piece is the highest-selling manga, presumably it's the game series is also very good.
You can refer to the website, http://www.joygames.me/

Back
Top Bottom