M&M and Wizardry Anyone here good at graphics?

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
I am so tired of there being no good party based roleplaying games out such as wizardry and might and magic series. I think in RPGWatch we have a lot of knowledge and experiance. So I want to use this experiance to make a game, I already know all of you could give me great suggestions. I already programmed games before, and even worked for some time over at Larian. But I need someone who is good at graphics, preferably 3d, but some 2d artists could help too. So if I am to get this started help me out if you know anyone guys!

Excellent idea, GG. Good luck with it. The first person that comes to my mind is Sorcha Ravenlock, if you can find her. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, by all means - good luck.

You have worked for Larian? when where why how?

I'm Not a visual artiste tho. I'm more of a programmer, been thinking about
starting a crpg project myself too.

Uhh.. umm... how serious are you about this? Got any specific plans?

Which era of M&M and Wizardry are we talking about? I've made 3D mazes in Turbo Pascal and recently in PHP. I'm going to have another crack at the PHP one soon. My buddy and I used GD to create the First Person view. WE'd eventually like to make it into a dungeon crawler.

Also, I think VD had the same idea as you. :)

To accelerate the development www.garagegames.com has some invaluable tool.

Easy to understand, easy to extend, and most of all great support. (The game, which i don't remember the name of - :) oh, this will help i can feel it - any way its a MMORPG done indy wise, which the watch or the dot covered).

I have been a 2D user of that engine, just for prototyping. Altough the flagship - tourqe engine - have everything you need and alot more then a single developer can handle.

http://www.garagegames.com/developer/torque/contentpacks/

(I only point this engine out because this. The ready made and easy to use Content packs!)

(This is nothing like Dark Basic, Blitz which i tested and threw away! This is a powerfull game engine which can be extended by c++ if the stuff in there isn't enough)

I am very serious about this, I am going to write it in C++ , anyone with any skills including programming, story-writing , game-design, level-design. or even spell-checking are allowed to help. I only want people who love RPGs and are passionate about RPGs, I have had too many projects before full of quiters, so if you are a quiter, I don't want you. I can handle the engine programming, no problem, whichever engine I will use, or if I will use one that I've already developed for another game I made I will decide depending on what kind of response I get.

You have worked for Larian? when where why how?

I was there for about 5-6 months some years ago, I didn't really like were they were going with their latest game ( I guess I am not allowed to say anything more than that ), and those developers are paid like slaves :( So I wasn't very motivated there.

Which era of M&M and Wizardry are we talking about? I've made 3D mazes in Turbo Pascal and recently in PHP. I'm going to have another crack at the PHP one soon. My buddy and I used GD to create the First Person view. WE'd eventually like to make it into a dungeon crawler.

Also, I think VD had the same idea as you.

I'd love his help in that case, well for wizardry I am talking 8 since it is the best one,,, I also liked 7 and the earlier ones thought, basically the difference is not THAT big except 8 has more freedom in the engine since it is not tile-based. The same goes for M&M I loved 3,4,5,6,7 so I am targetting like those.

Last edited:
I tried the demo, not impressed. I will let them do their project. I am looking to take the best from wiz and the M&M games and make something unique, and hopefully better, yep I always set high standards, that is the way to success :D

Last edited:
I can't program and I can't do art, but I'm a good writer and a brilliant proof reader!! :)

P.S. I HATE Proofreading!! :)

Last edited:
Ok, your in Corwin, do you do quests and stuffs like that too?

If I can find some good graphics artist, my first aim will be to make one great dungeon. Let everyone play it to collect feedback. It is easily and quickly done from a programming perspective too. It is those outside wordls that's hard.

I can basically write anything, but I'm good at dialogue. I've written plays which have been produced!!

I could do proofreading as well - plus probably translating. ;)

My tendency to understatement hinders meto say that I'm a good writer ;) in fact I don't write so much because I'm so slow, my short stories need months or even years to grow ... So, I'm not that able to impress anyone. ;) Plus, my stories always need to be translated into English for a wider audience, for which I'm normally just too lazy. ;)

But apart from that, I could try to help. :)

Ok, If I was making a text only game, I am all set :p :p :p :p

Sounds good about the dialogue Corwin, I am going to go for quality over quantity if this game project takes off. I am looking at some other places for graphics artist too.

Last edited:
LOL :D

(Besides, an text adventure is actually what I'm dreaming about for several years now ... Unfortunately I'm too long without practise in programming ... :( )

Ok, I have decided to start off with the character generation, maybe we could get a The RPGWatch Game project forum or something? as I want to run a lot of polls, and question and I don't want to flood this section? Any mod up for that?

Reading this thread while i am waiting for Visual Studio to install on my new work machine.

What should i program? :)

READY:\> ? _

I do think i can hook you up with some great musicians if your serious about it and need stuff like that in a later stage. They are serious about themselves. As long as art, i think its depend on direction on where you will go. Some of my friend do this but they are to extreme for my taste. I have no clue how they are to take directions ... i guess they suck.. ;)

Theres is alot of artist on "hire" in garagegames... but, the risk is they will never be serious about it. Me choosed my own way since i am not impaired, but i will never do it for someone else. (Not because i am mean, just because i am my greatest critic and always felt that i never put my sole into it!)

Last edited:
I am planing to use Visual Studio, and DirectX, might make a OGL render path later too. I would prefer for it to have graphics like wizardry 8, but a bit more modern. So now you know what kind I am looking for, if I can only find a very passionate 2d artist I might reconsider, But the main plan is for a wiz 8 kind of engine and look. I am not sure those for hire at garagegames are serious enough. Music would be great but it is for later. I need graphics artist from the start others I can always find later. I might even be able to convince Kirill to make a few pieces for me for the music ! I know we all loved his divinity scores.

Last edited:
You wrote Engine above and mentioned you would like to develop your own.

But sorry for not stopping jabbering about Tourqe... :)
Minions of Mirth was made in Tourqe. It was a technical demo about it that was nice some years ago. Seamless transtions, out door / in door.
http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/tge/ ($150)
(The price has gone up, i was an early adopter and the money spent then has been worth it!)

The biggest plus would be having a competent engine at the back, conentrating on the "fun" stuf... or atleast, its more fun, then coding engines or finding bugs! (Aough)

Or have you checked out XNA?

Or do you just focused on doing that yourself from scratch? Or how? My conclusion has been if you can get yourself something really fast and get it up and running you tend to focus more and develop more often.

Ah, but i have the feeling that you talk the talk and now how to walk the walk.

(I am just to used with project meetings. Can't keep my mouth shut! ;) )

I will talk with my friends. It will probably be some days before i get some answers, and if they have the possibility and the will i will have them sent something over to you to look at and review.

Back
Top Bottom