KoA: Reckoning - Demo Coming Soon

For one thing a demo that isn't a part of the game is not a very good indicator of what the final game is going to be like. As such the whole point of a demo is wasted.

Secondly calling developers lazy or cheap for not putting what is actually a considerable amount of time and resources into something that will generate zero income is a bit naive considering the financial state of most developers nowadays.
The interface and general game mechanics would be the same. That's essentially the core of the game. I'm not saying make two games, but how about having a little custom dungeon or mini-story to show off the gameplay? How many people enjoy replaying the same content twice?

Obviously, money is a big consideration. If developers make less money by creating good demos then by all means they should make bad demos or none at all. Cutting out some small part already in the game and using it as a demo is still a lazy and cheap way of making a demo.

I've seen some of the devs' livestreams of Reckoning and to be honest looking at the in-game map it wasn't the type of open world that Skyrim is. It seemed to be an off-line variant of an mmo-like zoned open-world. you could clearly see the passageways connecting 'zones'. With that kind of world structure I'm not surprised they are able to cordon a piece off for a demo.

Interesting how these videos contrast with the pre-release videos of Skyrim. They are not at all shy about showing the in-game UI. Compared to Skyrim, which seemed to only give bits and pieces of the UI away, they are quite confident about their game in this area.

Do you honestly believe this? Tinfoil hat anyone?

Do you honestly believe this? Tinfoil hat anyone?

I'm frequently obtuse so it's no surprise I don't understand your response.

From the forums, bear in mind these are both regular schmos, not mods or devs:

Originally Posted by corvo:
Does this game require origin to play? I ask the community manager on twitter but they never answer my question. Also is there any word on if it will be available on steam for purchase?
It doesn't require Origin, no. We're not sure if it'll be available on Steam yet, but they're attempting to get it on there.

Even so, I'll definitely be waiting a couple days on the purchase if I can't confirm this in the next month.

As far as I know, no EA games are currently available on Steam (correct?). If they didn't sort out their differences for Battlefield 3, I'd be surprised if they made an exception for Reckoning…though I guess, you never know.

I'd rather Steam but on the assumption it won't be available, went with Gamersgate.

Just a quick question here. Is the game still set for February or will it be pushed back? They admitted its not finished yet and its January already. This is one I'm looking forward to.

I had wanted to get this game… but if it requires me to have anything to do with Origin, I might very well pass.

That was initially my thought about Origin.

However, after purchasing DA2, I received a free code for ME2 and the only way to use it was by installing Origin.

It turned out not to be so bad, pretty similar to Steam in terms of memory usage, etc., but I would have never installed it if not for the free game. I imagine there are others who might end up installing it in order to play the demos for KoA and ME3.

IMO it would be extremely poor business judgment for EA to make these demos available without tying them to Origin.

but Origin, unlike Steam, isn't require to start games linked to your EA account.

Although, I also bought the game on Gamersgate.

@azarhal Right now that's the case, but I'm curious if they're going to start that kind of "service" soon.

Anyone who bought this through GamersGate can you tell me if it's just a a serial key they offer or will it actually be the game?

I've bought a few games through GamersGate that are just a key like Orcs Must Die. You enter that key into Steam and download it through them. I know Origin isn't steam, but does GamersGate have some kind of greyed out download button for Amalur in your game shelf or is it just a hidden key? If it's a button then more than likely you can download the whole game and play it without having anything to do with Origin.

There's no download/key button yet, which is normal until the game is released/pre-load-able.

Although, unlike for Steam enabled games, here it only say other DRM and not 3rd party required.

Is the game still set for February or will it be pushed back?

All the stores are still saying a Feb 7th release
That should happen as they almost released it in November but decided to wait til 2012 for more polishing. I'm guessing here but if they are releasing a demo then it must be coming soon.

Instead, how about creating something original that doesn't spoil parts of the main game. Like making a DLC, but releasing it as a demo instead of selling it.

I hated it, because it ALWAYS made me feel as if the "full" game was rather incomplete, because it lacked a part of the story.

Plus, it might be an "official" thing (part of the story or so), but since it is a demo, it will soon beome too obscure to be retrieved and re-experienced many years later ... Which company puts a demo on the full game's disc ? Even if this demo tells an original/new story ?

No, I don't like it, personally.

Although, unlike for Steam enabled games, here it only say other DRM and not 3rd party required.

That's all the info I needed. Thanks :)

I wasn't sure about how pre-ordering worked with GG. Also, I never noticed the difference in the DRM info when it said 3rd party vs other DRM. I was never clear on what "other" meant. Now I can pre-order without worrying about Origin.

Nice to see a big game get a demo - a rarity these days.

Its a pity that the Demo needs Origin though. I wanted to give this a try but now I have to stay with the Impression the Wowish art direction and ahem, "overstated" combat leaves (= no buy)… Oh well...

I can't understand why people complain about Origin, you can simply treat it as a download manager - no more no less. Unlike Steam, you can run the game after downloading it without Origin running in the background. GoG now have a download manager (with impressive download speeds compared to web download), and yet people don't complain about this!

Back
Top Bottom