lockup

pickaxe

Watcher
hello...when I play risen the game locks up at random times,hope someone can help..thanks

Attachments

• DxDiag1.txt
    37.1 KB · Views: 9
Some questions to start my reply.

1. Do you have a decent Graphic card?
2. Are you using any Graphic Mods?

I also have three options that can be the cause.

1. Your computer is overheating.
2. Your running out of memory so the game crashes.
3. You have some other software or codec causing problems.

I also have to ask is it a pirate version, retail version, or a digital version? Sometimes a virus scanner will delete files as false positives if it's the latter one.

Finally I would recommend asking the developer for help. As they can help you better than we can.^^

He has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
See the attached txt file.

I think the card is probably a bit old now.

Try putting all settings on minimum temporarily and see if that helps.

If it does, raise up one setting at a time (the ones you care most for first - I never cared much for game shadows for example).

He has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
See the attached txt file.

I think the card is probably a bit old now..

I do not open files from unknown users, and that includes text files. I had bad experience from my past on other forums.;)

Anyway the card is fine for the original Risen. I had a GTX 260 when I fist played it on max settings. It's something else like I suggested then.

More than likely he is overheating, or has a hard drive on it's last legs.:)

I was active on official risen forums when it was released (bugs) but can't remember there was an issue like this ever reported. But it was ages ago so I suggest asking about it here:
http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/317-Technical-Forum

3. You have some other software or codec causing problems.
This won't cause lockups but sound/graphics distortion. And is very hard to fix as once the machine is into codec hell, usually the only solution is/was to reinstall windows. I've seen klite pack has codec clearing option, but since I don't use codecpacks on my home machine, never tried that.
An example of a game that won't work flawlessly with codec versions Microsoft didn't bless: Freelancer. To be precise, sound codecs. If those are messed with, sound in this game will stutter all the time.

This won't cause lockups but sound/graphics distortion. And is very hard to fix as once the machine is into codec hell, usually the only solution is/was to reinstall windows. I've seen klite pack has codec clearing option, but since I don't use codecpacks on my home machine, never tried that. An example of a game that won't work flawlessly with codec versions Microsoft didn't bless: Freelancer.

I beg to differ I used both K-lite, and a Combined Community Codec Pack they do cause crashes. Especially with Oblivion and the Fallout games. It's due to a filter that comes bundled with them.

Regardless it sounds like he is overheating the more I think about it. Your computer will lock up if it gets to hot. Hmm he could also have a weak PSU.:thinking:)

CCCP is a dangerous piece of work. Some nongame applications crash on it. Didn't know ppl are still using that thing. IIRC it doesn't use ffdshow filter any more but something else, but I might be wrong as I really can't remember.
Usually on machines I see klite or shark. And shark caused certain problems on security camera software my company is using, not crashes though. In any case if someone asks me what codecpack to use I suggest latest klite or ditching random media players and moving to good old VLC which doesn't need codecpacks - but ppl don't like it as it's not "friendly", playlists are made more practical on also good old (lama) winamp.

Overheating can cause lockups definetly.

In any case if someone asks me what codecpack to use I suggest latest klite or ditching random media players and moving to good old VLC which doesn't need codecpacks - but ppl don't like it as it's not "friendly", playlists are made more practical on also good old (lama) winamp.

I tried using VLC at one time myself. It's not bad as you said it just needs to become more user friendly. That's one of the biggest problems with it.

I think many developers under estimate this with their software. If it gets fixed it would dominate the market. Instead one of the other options is better for new users.

thanks for all the replys..I don't think the problem is overheating,my gpu is 56c and my cpu is 47c....

this is the dxdiag when the game ran great.....I'm not sure what has changed,maybe a driver or something..

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    35.5 KB · Views: 5
Well I finally took a look at your text file.^^

Does the game crash for you on start up, or does it happen after you play for a while. I'm curious how long it takes before it locks up.

You already ruled out it's not overheating. Your lockups might might be because of your PSU. I'm also curious about your power supply do you know the brand, and how much wattage it supply's?

thanks for the reply...my game locks up about 5 min. in..and I have to restart my computer..my power supply is an xtreme..here's a snapshot

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 26
thanks for the reply…my game locks up about 5 min. in..and I have to restart my computer..my power supply is an xtreme..here's a snapshot
Thanks for the picture your PSU is good enough to provide power to your computer without shutting down. I got to admit I can't think of anything else.

Does any other game have the same problem?

lock up

yes I have the same problem with two worlds,gothic 4..all of which worked really good before..have you checked my other dxdaig file?

yes I have the same problem with two worlds,gothic 4..all of which worked really good before..have you checked my other dxdaig file?
Yes I looked it over and it seems fine except for a few errors. I'm running out of ideas what it might be. We already ruled out two problems that usually cause system lockups.

The only last thing I can think of is your hard drive might be failing, or it could be any upgrades either software or hardware related.

I'm sorry I think you may have to contact Deep silver or a PC technician.:(

lock up

I thank you for all of your help..I just installed an older driver from 2011 ,that might help..

Are you getting BSOD or simple freezes? How consistent is it? Does it happen after about 5 min every time?

If it's very consistent, and in several games, it could be either an OS or disk issue. They do tend to lead to BSODs though and not just random freezes, as the OS realizes something is wrong and will try to avoid data loss.

lock up

hello...I am getting freezes I can't use ctrl-alt-del or alt tab or escape...the music plays for awhile then it stops too...so, all I can do is press restart on the computer..
I mean these are games I have played all the way thru on this computer,I changed something but what? thanks

Maybe a RAM issue? You can give Memtest a spin.

Not just one game has a problem means it's either OS or hardware. If you can remember when it all worked, you can try with system restore on an earlier date (Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore).

If that doesn't help, you should try with all drivers update (do not go rollback to old versions!). The easiest way for that is to use freeware SlimDrivers:
http://www.driverupdate.net/

If that also fails, reinstall windows from scratch.

* do also check Event Log for warnings and errors. Sometimes it's possible to pinpoint a cause of the problem in there, for example you'll see entries about possible HDD errors in it. Kostas suggestion (memtest) is also a good point!

Back
Top Bottom