Original Sin - Diablo HD Remake Mod

I didn't know that thanks for the information Nameless one. It would take a lot of work, but I would love to play that. Maybe someone should post the idea on the Larian forums.

Wasn't that one of the things they kept talking about during development? That they'd made just a little bit of Divine Divinity in the Editor? I don't know where I'm getting this but I thought someone was already working on a complete conversion...o.o;

Wasn't that one of the things they kept talking about during development? That they'd made just a little bit of Divine Divinity in the Editor? I don't know where I'm getting this but I thought someone was already working on a complete conversion…o.o;
IIRC, Larian had a video during the kickstarter showing off Aleroth in the D:OS engine, which one guy created in a week. They mentioned if anyone took up the challenge of making a full conversion, they'd do everything in their power to help, like providing all the original dialogues etc.
I don't know if anyone actually started with it yet.

For combat, I mainly like the skill implementation in Diablo II. The various classes have some interesting skills and you can customize them quite nicely.
Compared to Diablo 3, which I'm playing a bit nowadays, the skills seemed more diverse and thematic as well. It seems that in D3 every class can sort of do the same thing (melee, ranged or magic-like gameplay — or something in between).

Calling Diablo a click-fest is like calling Original Sin a turn-fest. Both are true but useless statements.

I've said this a hundred times before, and I'll gladly say it again - Diablo is about the strategy of your build and gear setup - and the actual combat is about putting it into practice. The game "begins" on Hell - and that's when you know whether you have a good strategy or not. The rest of the game is basically there for you to experiment and build your strategy.

As for this Diablo iteration, I don't think it would work too well in a cooperative setting - because the original game has too much combat. It would mean sitting around a LOT waiting for your turn. Basically, it would be like multiplayer ToEE - only with even more combat.

I LOVED The Lord of Terror campaign for NWN - and I consider it the best mod for the game. But NWN is real-time, and that's a much better fit for cooperative gameplay.

D:OS is likely better for coop, because there's much more exploration and stuff to do beyond combat - where you're not just waiting for your friends to make their moves.

So, I'm not sure it's the best idea - but I love the atmosphere of Diablo, and it's not like there's a reason to complain when people go out of their way to provide us with free stuff.

I would love to see Divine Divinity remade in the D:OS engine (or something similar) but only if they keep the real-time mechanics from the original.

I wish him luck, i would certainly try it if it ever gets finished. I think the best part of Diablo 1 was the atmosphere, it felt quite unique. The combat was.. crap, or at least rather uninteresting.

The editor seems good, looked at a few tutorial videos yesterday.

I would love to see Divine Divinity remade in the D:OS engine (or something similar) but only if they keep the real-time mechanics from the original.

May i ask why? I think Divine Divinity is still a really beautiful game. I mean which mechanic would be better? I also really like that DD had day/night cycles and NPC schedules, something this engine can't seem to handle. A remake with the Skyrim Editor would probably make more sense if someone just wants the game to be 3D (with no fixed camera) and with similar mechanics as in DD (realtime combat, day/night cycles etc).

What about creating something original in does ?

Anyway still very much looking forward to this or anything made with the engine (never played diablo too). Click fest was the wrong word, I just meant that the combat is very different.

Calling Diablo a click-fest is like calling Original Sin a turn-fest. Both are true but useless statements.

I've said this a hundred times before, and I'll gladly say it again - Diablo is about the strategy of your build and gear setup - and the actual combat is about putting it into practice.

Yep, that's what I was trying to say in my post. :)

I want to see Avernum made in the D:OS engine.

My first thought is: "Wow"; engine has potential for him to generate so much content so quickly; my second thought is: why do people always start recreating other games and not generate something new? We don't need another BG remake, or Ultima remake, or Diablo remake. We need new content. And it doesn't have to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I know not everyone is a writer, or a designer, or a scripter.... but try something new. Develop a nice starter town, with some NPCs... who need you to travel to some dungeon in the nearby mountains... to slay some wizard. Basic D&D setup, so us weekend co-op gamers can get our continued fix once we've tired of the official D:OS campaign.
In other words, start creating NWN mods again please.

My first thought is: "Wow"; engine has potential for him to generate so much content so quickly; my second thought is: why do people always start recreating other games and not generate something new? We don't need another BG remake, or Ultima remake, or Diablo remake. We need new content. And it doesn't have to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I know not everyone is a writer, or a designer, or a scripter…. but try something new. Develop a nice starter town, with some NPCs… who need you to travel to some dungeon in the nearby mountains… to slay some wizard. Basic D&D setup, so us weekend co-op gamers can get our continued fix once we've tired of the official D:OS campaign.
In other words, start creating NWN mods again please.

Not only that, but making a remake always gets you in the grey area where whoever owns the rights of the original games can always send you a Cease and Desist letter, usually after thousands of hours of development have been spent.

Remakes are popular because it will give the creator 1) instant direction, requires little / nothing in terms of creativity and originality. 2) tons of publicity, immediately. 3) instant fanbase.

But imo there are too many negatives, restricting yourself like that from the start when you have so many original things you could do? Everything from your own themes to characters and story? That seems like a whole lot more fun to me. And yes there's that little thing that wolfing already mentioned..

I didn't know that thanks for the information Nameless one. It would take a lot of work, but I would love to play that. Maybe someone should post the idea on the Larian forums.

It was definitely brought up in the comments during their Kickstarter campaign.

It was definitely brought up in the comments during their Kickstarter campaign.
I post over 100 news-bits a week.;)

So you see it's not always easy for me to remember everything that gets posted.
Not only that, but making a remake always gets you in the grey area where whoever owns the rights of the original games can always send you a Cease and Desist letter.
I always end up hating a publisher or developer who halts a project after it's almost completed. I've seen way to many unofficial remakes get cancelled.

I'm looking at you Square Enix.:mad:

Last edited:

I've said this a hundred times before, and I'll gladly say it again - Diablo is about the strategy of your build and gear setup - and the actual combat is about putting it into practice. The game "begins" on Hell - and that's when you know whether you have a good strategy or not. The rest of the game is basically there for you to experiment and build your strategy.

Well, after 4 or 5 levels of clicking I felt like I was is hell. Does that count?;)

I see what your saying though. Calling diablo a clickfest would be like saying dark souls is only about combat and respawns.;)

I'm just having a little fun. Really though the combat is so unappealing to me that it really doesn't matter what else the game has to offer.

I don't think turn based will work though unless they drastically reduce the number of enemies.

Well, after 4 or 5 levels of clicking I felt like I was is hell. Does that count?;)

I see what your saying though. Calling diablo a clickfest would be like saying dark souls is only about combat and respawns.;)

Something like that ;)

I'm just having a little fun. Really though the combat is so unappealing to me that it really doesn't matter what else the game has to offer.

Fair enough, people like different things for different reasons :)

Frankly, the randomized nature of the levels was for me a key factor in Diablo's replayability.

Back
Top Bottom