The "I Just Bought" thread

I find automatics do some strange and unnerving things, from time to time. I do prefer full control.

Yeah, certainly for city driving, you really need to be able to accelerate with confidence. I find that automatics often don't give you that punch of the gear change at the moment you need it.

I prefer a stick shift but sold my car when i moved to boston. I do drive when i travel but unfortunately for the most part no one seems to have a stick shift so I'm stuck with an automatic. Anyway no real complaints with the automatic they just aren't as fun :)

You know what happens when you, as you used to, step on the admittedly no longer existing clutch pedal and still hit a pedal? A very hard brake.

Why do they make brake pedals wider on autumatics?

pibbur who sighs. And who is glad he unverified his spelling of break… eh…brake before posting.

You know what happens when you, as you used to, step on the admittedly non-existing clutch pedal and still hit a pedal? A very hard brake.

Yep, I've done that. An alarming experience for oneself, and those behind you.

Yep, I've done that. An alarming experience for oneself, and those behind you.

Alarming in deed, especially when comes the time of the icy roads of winter.

pibbur who hopes a couple of months training will be enough

We don't have icy roads in Oz, so that's never a problem!! :D

Today I had my first drive without hitting the clutch pedal. Well, it has of course been like that for a week now, but until today, every time I drove my new car, I used to hit something with my left foot. Most of the time (fortunately) just the floor, but also, sometimes (unfortunately) the brake pedal. Not today. Today, my left foot rested uncomfortably in the front-left corner, leaving all pedalling to the right one. Yay!

pibbur who now will concentrate on preventing his right hand from, when braking, putting the gearstick-lookalike into the 1st-gear-lookalike position, which on this car amounts to activating reverse driving (or parking, whatever comes first).

Last edited:
We don't have icy roads in Oz…

You say it like that is a good thing. Icy roads come from nice, icy weather, I wouldn''t want to miss that!!

pibbur who thinks the lack of this particular feature might be worse than all the 72 deadly species down under.

PS. There may of course be a connection here. I suppose many of the 72, at least those usually living outdoors, will find our kind of weather a bit hostile, even life threatening. Which of course is a very good thing. DS.

Last edited:
You say it like that is a good thing. Icy roads come from nice, icy weather, I wouldn''t want to miss that!!

pibbur who thinks the lack of this particular feature might be worse than all the 72 deadly species down under.

PS. There may of course be a connection here. I suppose many of the 72, at least those usually living outdoors, will find our kind of weather a bit hostile, even life threatening. Which of course is a very good thing. DS.

72? Stop exaggerating there is only 71!!!

It's for writing music. It can only be used for synths with either MIDI or Control Voltage, that's how they can recognize what to play :)

Hardware sequencers are really a thing of the past since most people (including myself, previously) do it on a computer with a nice big screen. But i tend to think computers are very boring and uninspiring as instruments for creating music, when i make music i want to get away from them, if i can.

@vurt;, You wouldn't be interested in some analog gear I'm selling, would you?

This reminds me of how I was experimenting with sounds and witzh "music" as a teenager … all improvisations, somehow … I never really called it "music". I considered it rather as an "art thing".

I made over 10 audio cassettes full of that …

I never had money, and as I begun studying at university, that got even worse. At one point I stopped all of that. If I had money, properly learned an instrument (I did lern the guitar, but I would have rather preferred the keyboard), and equipment, I would have perhaps become some kind of sound/music maker. I just loved what O called "sound carpets" (I had taken that word from an article in the preess one day).

The only remaining thing from that period was that I kept on writing my "poems", but that came to a halt around the turn of the Millennium, when I began to rather write fantasy short stories.

I hink I need to digitalize (right word ?) these cassettes, but I'm sure that my voice will sound awful. And the sound quality will be just an insult to listener's ears.

Things are improving. The last couple of days, my left foot and my right hand have started to behave as they should (mostly doing nothing).

pibbur who now will concentrate on correctly intepreting the complaining sounds the car makes when approaching obstructions like pedestrians and for other, still confusing, reasons.

I'm making my return to biking, and thus a lot less of gaming, with a new bike. So I've ordered a Scott Scale 930 which I'm very excited to ride.

scott-scale-930-2019-mountain-bike-black-EV351283-8500-1.jpg

I went out shopping for a new tv but came home with a Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet instead. I'll probably only use it for reading E-books, but I only paid $50 for it anyways.

I still want to get a tv during these weekend sales if I can decide what I want.

I picked up a nice stereo yesterday, been wanting to get a new one since I moved and saw a price drop that worked for me. I also want to try out a kindle or reader of some sort, that will likely be a holiday gift to myself next month.

The reds are ok but only have a 3 year warranty. While in the past I hate seagate the enterprise drives (...00016) have pretty decent reviews for the past several years. They have a 5 year warranty and one of the lowest power consumption of a drive at 7200rpm.
-
Anyway my hitachi raid lasted 5 years but i ran out of space so now i have a stack of smaller drives.

I bought network-attached storage to carry multiple HDDs. I read about best NAS hard drives recently, more info here, and decided to order WD Red for myself. These are the marathon runners of WD HDDs and are considered ideal for NAS units everywhere.

I've thought about buying one for years, and finally did so today. A brand new shiny Kindle for me, as soon as the box arrives I'll have to pick a new book to put it through its paces!

I've thought about buying one for years, and finally did so today. A brand new shiny Kindle for me, as soon as the box arrives I'll have to pick a new book to put it through its paces!

Back
Top Bottom