What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I re-watched Donnie Darko yesterday for….well, I've lost count of how many times I've seen this flick over the past sixteen or so years. Always a great time to lose myself in the Darko world for a few hours.
I recommend watching both movies with the Butterfly Effect & Final Destination series together in one day. It's ideal for a good marathon of movies on a dark rainy day.:evil:

I tried watching Final Destination a while back, I just couldn't get into it at all. Darko just hooked me with that excellent music right from the very beginning, and never let go.

The Final Destination movies are teen garbage.

Donnie Darko was interesting. I won't pretend I fully understood what was going on, but the visuals and atmosphere were excellent. I need to rewatch it.

Then I must be a teen at heart thank you very much.:biggrin:

Only cost me $7.50 for the movie collection at Walmart so really nothing lost.

Suppose I must be a kid also as I enjoy cartoons movies as well.

Anyway both Butterfly Effect movies are good.:thumbsup:

Also picked up the Leprechaun dvd collection for $10.

Last edited:
Halloween 2018 - Crap/10

But I liked the Carpenter soundtrack!

Zero clue why another reboot after Rob Zombie did a better job then ...

Anyways we all know he doesn't play well with others or follow their rules.

BTW I watched some of it...bad bad movie.

I did Watch Venom and found it to be the funniest and a well done movie.

Doesn't seem to really fit in with their( Mavels) machine of movies.

Tom Did a really nice job with his character I thought.

Other than that I watch very mostly Doc's...

Deterrence a scenario were the president grew balls and nuked Iraq.

Donnie Darko is one of those movies, like Watchmen, that I really enjoyed first time I saw it but in the second viewing (usually the director's cuts) I wondered why I thought it was so great. As you know, I tend to find director's cuts a bit dragging if I'm not a die-hard fan of the original material. But in the case of The Butterfly Effect, the director's cut actually "repaired" a broken original theatrical release by restoring the original ending. IMO, directors cuts are best used to fix a film when the studio has done too much meddling or downright butchered what would otherwise be a good film. Interestingly enough, Francis Ford Coppola felt that the initial cut of The Godfather that Paramount Pictures wanted to release was too long and wanted to trim some of it down. But as it turns out Paramount's instincts were correct and it was originally released in the long version and became an all-time classic. But typical director's cuts tend to have the opposite problem with too many redundant or unnecessary scenes.

Again that turd.

Do me a favor and instead of rewatching that bullshit, pick from the same director/writer Southland Tales (even The Rock couldn't save it) or The Box (the one that marked falling of Cameron Diaz' career). Or go for a "safe bet" where he was just a writer and director was Tony Scott: Domino. I dare to say it's Scott's worst movie ever even if not lowest grader on imdb, metacritic or elsewhere. I mean RIP Tony, but accepting director position on that writer couldn't end better than plain garbage.

Anyway, it's all the same style of disconnected and disjointed bullshittery. How can someone incapable of telling a story become a movie writer I have no idea, but it's Hollywood where anything is possible I guess.

The Butterfly Effect is an instutution. A complete opposite. A masterpiece. I don't know anything about theatrical release cuts, it became a part of my home DVD collection.

Leave no Trace 7/10. About a father with PTSD and his daughter who lives in the woods. Slow but quite good if you're up for it.

The Clovehitch Killer 8.5/10 really good thriller, best i've seen since, hmm, Zodiac probably. The killer is incredible eerie, and not in the usual cliche way. For once it feels like a "mature" thriller, not something aimed to just please kids.

LOL I didn't watch The Clovehitch Killer but if it's the best and Zodiac second… Zodiac is overrated. It's nice, it's fine, it's worth watching crime movie, but the best thriller it's not - what's exactly thrilling there? Nothing.

Speaking of maturity in thrillers I have a suggestion on one pretty different from everything you've seen as the topic it covers is when the world just doesn't want to accept what you're trying to do. Even if it seems you've finally succeded, there will be a twist.
Asesinos inocentes aka Innocent Killers is a spanish gem completely misunderstood and of course underrated by the audience. The reason it's not a masterpiece is the theatre2movie approach, but it's still quite unique in what it does.

Sadly I believe you won't touch nonmainstream titles. Because I've already pointed at another absolutely amazing spanish thriller in this thread, but there was no reaction from you. It's Contratiempo:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061517042&postcount=4013

But okay, mainstream it is. There is another absolutely amazing thriller with mature content that was mainstream back in the day, remained classic and is one of movies you should watch before you die. It's of course another Hitchock's masterpiece: North by Northwest.
Zodiac a better thriller than this one? Not in a million years.

Zodiac a better thriller than this one? Not in a million years.
Evey time I hear Zodiac or Zodiac killer this comes to my mind instantly.

Great songs by the way.:devilish:

I tried watching Ready Player One last night, and couldn't stomach more than the first ten minutes. I absolutely loved the book, but wow, I don't think the movie could have been any more annoying. At least it didn't consume my whole night, I switched over to hockey instead.

LOL I didn't watch The Clovehitch Killer but if it's the best and Zodiac second… Zodiac is overrated. It's nice, it's fine, it's worth watching crime movie, but the best thriller it's not - what's exactly thrilling there? Nothing.

The ending was certainly thrilling to me + much of the plot too, though the third time i watched it i thought it dragged, but the first 2 viewings were great.

Plenty of the murders where really well shot and thrilling too, like the couple at the lake. They're not trying hard to make that scene tense or anything, it's just laid out there for the viewer, there's not even any music added.. It really adds to a sense of realism and coldness and it makes it super intense. This movie is very similar in the way its presented.

Edit: Contratiempo, yeah it's a fine movie. I liked it.
North by Northwest, i watched it around 30 years+ ago, i'm pretty sure i liked (remember it vaguely), need to watch it again, it's on my "to do"-list.

Haven't been able to finish the last couple of movies I've tried to see.

My attention span is pretty pathetic these days. Woe is me.

I watched the 15:17 to Paris movie yesterday with some family, it was better than I expected. Had I known Eastwood was behind the project, I might have watched it even earlier.

The House That Jack Built (2018) is brilliant, with some fine pitch black comedy that had me roaring with laughter. I have nothing more to say, except... WATCH IT!

Aquaman. Haha.. friend who's a fan of everything DC paid so… Can't say i've been looking forward to see it (he also forced me to see Black Panther, worst shit i've ever seen).

But i was surprised, i actually liked it. Good pacing, very good variety of locations and probably the most epic CGI i've seen so far (absolutely enormous armies etc - LOTR, Star Wars both would look laughable in comparison).

Story/characters is what to expect from something like this, totally uninteresting, but the actors did a good job. I also liked the music and didn't mind the cheesy 80's vibe visuals either (hardly very original these days). So tons of pink, blue and yellow + synthwave, some depeche mode and a fair bit of Vangelis sounding music, and I just can't get tired of that ;) 7.5/10

forced me to see Black Panther, worst shit i've ever seen
Excuse me but Black Panther is one of the best comic2movie transfers I've ever seen. Note though that I'm a comic bookworm and as such biased - it's possible that the movie wasn't fun for those who are unfamiliar with all the graphic novels out there.

Now Aquaman... I'm not eager to watch it really. Gimme The Trial of Galactus already.

Back
Top Bottom