Do you want user game ratings?

• Sure, let's have it.

Votes: 56 70.0%
  • No way

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 15 18.8%

• Total voters
I hear ya. It just ticks me off, that kind of mindset. It basically runs smack into my nature, like a cat being rubbed the wrong way… it reminds me of game forums, and some of the arguments I'd see in them. For example, one or more, and in this case, many, people would request a feature in a game, and then other people would say they are against it -- for no good reason whatsoever. Let me give an example, one I have seen often, and that irritated me:

Person A -- Please, developers, can we have walking put in the game? It just feels weird to be running all the time, like a hyper maniac on speed.

Many others chime in, and agree, and say they would like this also.

Person B says the following (and a few others might join, but they are always a tiny but loud minority) -- Why would you want to walk, that is silly, you want to move slower in the game? What's wrong with you? I would never want that! Stop wasting the developers time with this silly request!

Person A responds -- Yes, I get that. I just like a slower pace for atmospheric reasons, but of course, it would be optional. If you don't like it, Person B, you could just always leave running on, and never use it.

Now, if Person B was reasonable, and intelligent and respected other people's freedoms and personal tastes, the argument would stop there. But, invariably, Person B is not, and keeps digging in, and arguing, and basically all because they want to control what the other peoples experience is in the game. And, by God, it better line up exactly with their preferences, and how they want it to be!

I just have a very negative reaction to this mindset, (basically, authoritarianism, and trying to enforce sheep-like behavior on everyone) and it makes me get the claws out, lol.

Hehe, I completely agree - but I've learned to live with it. There's nothing to be done, anyway.

I voted yes but whether I would give a game rating or even be able to is another question. User voting is a strange beast. I remember looking at a game, Gothic 3 (probably), where I think that the average user score seemed to suggest it was an ok game nothing brilliant but not rubbish. I then looked at the actual scores by individual users and it seemed to be either very high (9s and 10s) or very low (1s and 2s) - I exaggerate a bit.

Always been a bit careful about basing decisions on single "statistical" score.

I'd like to vote a conditional yes based on following conditions.

First, each value in whatever rating system is used must be specifically clearly defined. For example, a 5/10 might mean horrible to some but average to others. 7/10 is currently seen as a relatively poor score but what would that mean here?

Second, averages should be reported for both mean and median to avoid undue numerical influence by a small number of outlier scores. For example, eleven individuals rate a game. Ten rate the game at 8. One rates the game at 1. Mean average = 7.3636363636364 Median average = 8

In sum, need a clearly defined and agreed on rating system and a system to prevent a few outlier votes from unduly influencing calculated score.

__

just require at least 50 votes for a an actual rating to be visible. Then take the median. AND require a threshold on a member's date of registration.

In Myrthos we trust.

Voted 'I don't care'.
Some people seem to share my taste. I value their opinion, but comments in news threads have served me well in that regard.

Rethought it.

Ratings 1-5. Display bar chart showing votes for all five ratings.

Be sure to define meaning of each of the five ratings.

__

I'd like to vote yes but like others have said before popular Big budget RPGs will get bad user scores. You just have to read the Bethesda, and BioWare threads to see the trend.

This is just one reason why I never visit metacritic anymore.

Why not. I see no harm in it. I'm actually quite curious to see how watchers rate rpgs.

I'd like to vote yes but like others have said before popular Big budget RPGs will get bad user scores. You just have to read the Bethesda, and BioWare threads to see the trend.

C'mon Couch. Don't say that you are actually worried that Bioware or Bethesda games would not be treated fairly here? :) So what if Fallout 4 or Mass Effect Andromeda gets a mixed score here. There will be still plenty of "best game ever" -reviews out there for your reading pleasure.

I feel like the RPGDot version attracted undesirables (e.g. Lucky Day -- kidding! :D ), so my vote, worthless as it may be, is a no.

You just earned my first "like". And I hate likes.

Voted 'I don't care'.
Some people seem to share my taste. I value their opinion, but comments in news threads have served me well in that regard.

See, this is the kind of non-committal response I can't stand.! Though I can respect your lack of opinion, the people running this board could instead spend they energy into actually making a decent top games list instead of wasting time not doing things that people will never use.

Last edited:

With enough votes, this kind of stuff tends to come out in the wash. Youtube may be notorious for the amount of stupidity in its comments section but I think its a great harbinger of democracy for its likes and dislikes. A certain percentage of its viewers like or dislike it and its almost always 30:1 regardless of the video, except in certain cases.

In fact, the number of views counts more than anything.

Back on the Dot, the games you expected rose to the top even after some of the shenanigans that went on.

--

Makes me think, Myth? You got any screenshots of the old top games list?

The system we had at RPGDot was a nightmare. It was abused left and right. Just think about how many great scores you need to repair a dozen 1/10 scores obviously meant to diss a game which would normally be rated around 8/10.

I see no problem in having a user rating on games.

It's not perfect though neither are critic ratings. It is another bit of information on a game's reception whether one agrees with the rating or not. If one doesn't like it, shocker incoming, ignore it. If one doesn't value it, again, ignore it.

Simply not having that information displayed doesn't change the existence of those opinions, if one can't handle others opinions the internet is not the place to be.

Frankly I'd take user ratings over critic ratings in the majority of cases, exceptions being strictly limited to reviewers that I'm familiar with and trust, for good reason.

That absolutely includes ratings which aren't strictly about the game itself. If a developer/publisher/company is acting like an shit and screwing their customers or a franchise and if customers make such things known via the ratings of said company's products then good.

There are many instances of such things happening and I'm glad to be informed about them before supporting such a company or product. User ratings also helps put some control in customers hands, countless times it's gotten companies to finally start paying attention to something, even backtracking because user ratings can and do affect sales, which also means many find them valid useful.

I like the idea.

But as far as abuse goes, you'll get that anywhere and my policy is to accept it happens and ignore it while privately shaking your head about the people who think the average review has to fit their own opinion perfectly.

I've seen numerous reviews on IMDB with something along the lines of "There's no way this movie should be rated as low as 5.6. It's worth an 8, or at least a 7. So I'm giving it a 10"

In contrast to the RPGDot system, all users who cast a vote are traceable. Also an explanation needs to be given beyond "this game sucks". There will be moderation of the votes, however when a lot of people start voting this will be a bitch to moderate, so I am hoping on some level of user moderation, in which they signal abuse of the system.

I am not sure yet on how to determine the score. I am currently leaning to averaging with outlier rejection.

This will take some time to see the light of day as I still need to implement this. Currently I only have thought of the database structure.

I actually think Bioware and Bethesda titles would get higher scores than you think. Sure there are those who will put 1's out of principle, but I like to think the general opinion is a bit more nuanced.

I can't think of a single game I wound rate that low, because that would mean not getting any enjoyment at all from the title. I don't play games I don't enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom