Earthlock - Getting Remade

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Earthlock: Festival of Magic is getting remade. Earthlock, as it is now known, will be free to all existing owners.

Announcing the Shouldhavebeen Edition!

22 December - Snowcastle Games
We are very happy to announce that we will be relaunching Earthlock in Q1 next year. The new version feels in many ways like a new game!

In fact the changes are so big that there was no way we could keep it compatible with existing save games. In order to avoid problems where a patch would void all save games, we have set up a new game: Earthlock.

After we completed the PS4 version in January 2017 we began pre-production of Earthlock 2. However after a few weeks getting super excited about our next game. We realized that we were not comfortable leaving Earthlock: Festival of Magic behind as it was. A lot of the criticism we had gotten on the game by then were things we agreed with. For the initial launch we had to make quite a few cuts during the development and some of those cuts really hurt the story.

Long story short; We decided to make what we ended up internally calling shouldhavebeenedition. That way we could leave Earthlock 1 behind us with pride and begin work on Earthlock 2.

The subtitle Festival of Magic was an old remainder from our first kickstarter campaign and felt obsolete, so we decided to cut that, leaving us with: EARTHLOCK.

So what have we done in the last year?

• Story: It's massively changed. Almost from the start. We have added more depth, humor and character to the story and things that did not make sense before now do.
  • Crafting: At Plumpet Island, we are happy to report that all buildings on Plumpet now have some kind of functionality.
  • Side quests: Yes, there are now side quests - as initially intended.
  • Mini Games: Like treasure hunting
  • New scenes and characters
  • New and better animation
  • Improved cut scenes.
  • And much, much more.
Important to note: Anyone who owns Earthlock: Festival of Magic will get the new game for free (Steam/GOG/PS4/XboxOne). The game is now in final QA and localization and will be published in Q1 2018.
More information.

So, can I buy Earthlock: Festival of Magic now (discounted by 75% due to Steam Winter Sale) and receive the remake next year for free? Even buying the original game now, while it is being heavily discounted?

I really enjoyed the original - it plays well and doesn't outstay its welcome, with enough ideas to make it worth your time (IMHO). Would have preferred the effort went into a sequel, but a revamped original will be a real gift for anyone who hasn't tried it yet.

Well they are still going to do part 2 and part 3 - so not so much a sequel but story continuation.

I really enjoyed the original - it plays well and doesn't outstay its welcome, with enough ideas to make it worth your time (IMHO). Would have preferred the effort went into a sequel, but a revamped original will be a real gift for anyone who hasn't tried it yet.

Since it was on my wishlist anyway, I bought it. Will wait for the remastered version before trying, though. The game looks good, but what kept me from pruchasing earlier was the art style.

Back
Top Bottom