Liege - A Party-Based Tactical RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I found another promising kickstarter that at least deserves a a look it's called Liege.

What is Liege?

Liege is a party-based, tactical role-playing game for PC, Mac, iOS and Android.

Liege is a game that's inspired by Japanese RPG classics, chess, and others.

Liege is an interactive epic about ordinary people like us, placed in fantastic, larger-than-life circumstances. In equally vague terms, it's a game about family, power, love, death, and other way serious, totally heavy things.

Liege is being planned as a trilogy with a continuous story arc, with the first release scheduled for early 2014.

One late autumn eve in the Kingdom of Liege, a King, his queen, and their royal heirs fall into a deep slumber from which they never wake.

…and so our story begins. Following their mysterious deaths, a power struggle in the royal court ensues, and as the conflict quickly escalates, the Kingdom plunges into a bloody civil war. As war erupts across the land, we track the converging paths of characters aligned across various factions, from the noble houses vying for the throne, to the orphaned Royal Army, to an underground movement of outlaws with plans to incite revolution amidst the chaos.
More information.

Last edited:
IOS and android = game not even worth putting on a PC.

IOS and android = game not even worth putting on a PC.
Doesn't bother me. There is to much hate on this site and elsewhere when someone mentions iOS and Android.:rolleyes: To me there just other options to play on that's all.

Last edited:
Doesn't bother me. There is to much hate on this site and elsewhere when someone mentions iOS and Android.:rolleyes: To me there just other options to play on that's all.

This is a small project and I played many games like this . Look up rpgmaker and maybe stop being narrow minded.:)

^I completely agree with this. So sick of that attitude from my fellow PC gamers. Even if you don't have a tablet / don't want one, there's absolutely no reason to dismiss a game simply because there are plans for a mobile port… unless of course you are graphics whore. This game obviously won't be require a high end PC, so porting it to tablets is a no-brainer for an indie developer. As long the PC version is optimized for PC, i.e., supports mouse / keyboard controls, popular monitor resolutions, etc. then I don't care what else it comes out on.

Anyway, thanks for posting this Couchpotato. Looks very interesting, I love turn-based Party RPGs so I may very well back this.

agreed. While I haven't found a mobile game I can really spend time on AND while I share the skepticism of some that ports or multi-platforms will most likely compromise or streamline (read: dumb down), I don't discount that it's a possibility to have games with good potential.

I daresay quite a few of those we call classics now would do very nicely on mobiles if anyone cared to port them over. Fallout 1 & 2 for mobile, anyone? :D

I daresay quite a few of those we call classics now would do very nicely on mobiles if anyone cared to port them over. Fallout 1 & 2 for mobile, anyone? :D
I think your on to something. Why hasn't anyone tried yet? The licensing part would be tricky though.

This game looks nice, but with the money they are asking for it's bound to be rather short.

Sounds like it may be interesting and some good signs:

- "Battles in Liege are tactical and turn-based"
- "they [battles] emerge seamlessly as you wander through the realm." (i.e. no jumping to separate limited battle maps)
- Not writing a graphics engine from scratch (using Cocos 2D).
- "deterministic mechanics that reward skill over blind chance".
- story that is written for an adult audience.

IMOP can't see any reason not to put this type of game on mobiles as long as it developed for large screens first, it's not a processor/GPU intensive game, so PC users aren't losing out from compromises in those areas. After all XCOMEU is being ported to mobile.

Negative is that it's a one man band and there are many recent examples of small scale games where the dev's eyes are so much bigger than their stomachs. And as Yme says probably will be quite short.

This looks incredible, love the in-game sprites being used for cut scenes too.

Most iOS (and not only iOS I guess, but the lack of effort and wealth of crap is second to none on that platform) games suck but this is just a dude passionate about what he's doing and seemingly good at it too putting his game out on all the platforms he's able to. No reason to hate on it before seeing what he'll accomplish, especially with this start.

The Spiderweb games aren't any worse on iOS than they were on PC. Good retro CRPGs with next to no changes for the additional platform they're now getting published on.

There are many other great ports like that. And for meaty games that were on iOS first/only, Hunters 2 is a pretty good turn based strategy game, there are a few really good and complex 4x strategy games, roguelikes, and many of the board/card style games are also great and have as deep mechanics and as solid design as any.

Anyway, again, this looks great, and I feel similarly for it as I do for Telepath Tactics. Keep them underserved awesome genres going, all you talented folks.

That said, Kickstarter management is shitty and willingly allows scammers just to make an extra buck while reprimanding people who speak out against it so I'll just buy the game when that is an option and not give a dime to them, only to the developer (and whatever sales portal, if any is used, I guess).

I like it. I don't have a problem with tablet games (I have an Android tablet). I do have a problem with indie kickstarters, as that's where I think the most risk of your money going down the proverbial toilet can happen. I'll keep an eye on this.

This game looks nice, but with the money they are asking for it's bound to be rather short.
From the homepage…
"Clearly this is a big project, so managing scope is the main challenge to consider. To address this, I've split the game into three smaller, more manageable releases. Collectively, the series will be shorter than most full-length RPGs; each game in the trilogy is meant to provide several solid hours of dense, meaningful gameplay, rather than countless hours of pointless fluff. "
So each release will be 'several hours'.

Focusing on one platform doesn't mean he could add more content, especially when the bulk of the crossplatform work is already done by the engine he chose to utilize. Different work is done to port, different work is done to add more content. And going small at least shows he's likely not biting more than he can chew. Several hours (x3 btw) can be just great depending on the quality just as "full-length" or "tons of hours" can be awful.

Last edited:
The platform has nothing to do with the "depth" of a game. The developers just have to make it. As someone already said, spiderweb games has already put their games on the ios without any differences.

Guess, if you want to be oblivious you could ignore that.

As a indie developer you should want your game available to as many as possible.

Backed it, just got some money back from taxes, and 10 bucks is a small enough investment.

Liege is - by the way - the name of an Belgian town - one with a history as a town of mining and steel, so to say. Similar to the German "Ruhrgebiet" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liège

The game reminded me of a lot of the rpg's I played growing up. Watching the video this seems like a labor of love for the creator and for the price of lunch I'm willing to help make his dream a reality. I hope he has a successful campaign. Thanks Couchpotato for pointing it out to us.

I assume though that the game name is based on the use of the word Liege as meaning a feudal overlord.

Ah, okay, that's a possibility, too.
I'm unfamiliar with these titles and words.

Ah, okay, that's a possibility, too.
I'm unfamiliar with these titles and words.

It's very common in Shakespeare, viz before Agincourt:

KING HENRY V Thou dost not wish more help from England, coz [cousin] ?

WESTMORELAND God's will! my liege, would you and I alone, Without more help, could fight this royal battle!

In the feudal system the Duke of Westmoreland would have been King Henry's direct "vassal" and consequently Henry is Westmoreland's liege lord. Westmoreland in his turn, as a duke, would be liege lord to the earls beneath him in the feudal tree.

In English it's pronounced "leej", i.e. no acute accent on the e as in the French town name.

Incidentally Paradox's strategy game: Crusader Kings 2 is very impressive simulation of feudal Europe. Very complex game with a steep learning curve though!

Ah, thank you !
I guess that I'd have to buy more Shakespeare for me. ;)

I vaguely remember a game using the word "Liege", although I did not understand what it meant … Perhaps it war WarCraft I ?

Back
Top Bottom